Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

Default propane tank construction.

Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together? I'm thinking of trying
to use one for the large cyl of a stirling engine and need to take it
apart to install the displacer, and then put it back together. If they
are brazed it should be a (relatively) simple job to separate and
rejoin the 2 halves..
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jim Stewart

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:
Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together? I'm thinking of trying
to use one for the large cyl of a stirling engine and need to take it
apart to install the displacer, and then put it back together. If they
are brazed it should be a (relatively) simple job to separate and
rejoin the 2 halves..

I doubt it. Brazing is usually not cost-effective
for mass-produced low-overhead products.

Sorry about all the hyphens.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jerry Martes

clare at snyder.on.ca wrote in message
Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together? I'm thinking of trying
to use one for the large cyl of a stirling engine and need to take it
apart to install the displacer, and then put it back together. If they
are brazed it should be a (relatively) simple job to separate and
rejoin the 2 halves..
*** Encrypt your Internet usage with a free VPN account from
http://www.SecureIX.com ***

Hi Clare

If you had two very similar tanks, it might be easy to cut them both so
that one tank could be easily welded (or brazed) back together.

Jerry

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

clare wrote:
Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together? I'm thinking of trying
to use one for the large cyl of a stirling engine

Clare, sounds like a nice sized Stirling. Is this a hobby engine or?
Bill.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:45:29 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together?

Welded. Usually most of it is done with a roller-type resistance
welder.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Thu, 02 Mar 2006 00:06:57 +0000, Andy Dingley
wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:45:29 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together?

Welded. Usually most of it is done with a roller-type resistance
welder.

Looks like I'll hacksaw the bottle abart, and weld it back together
with the pop-can inside.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Several years ago I used the lathe to cut the top end off of a number
of the Bernzo type propane and oxygen cylinders. Chucked the bottom in
a three jaw chuck. Used a live center in the port opening. Used lots of
WD-40 for lube to be sure there was no sparking. As soon as I was
certain there was an opening into the tank, I stopped and let then set
for a while to vent and residual gas. Of course the cylinders had been
emptied and left open for a long time before I started.

No problem with either gas bottle. Didn't do more than 2-3 because I
could find no use for the things after I cut them open. Perhaps you
will have better luck that way.

Best regards, Paul

wrote:

On Wed, 01 Mar 2006 14:45:29 -0500, clare at snyder.on.ca wrote:

Do any of you guys know if the little BernzoMatic type, and the stubby
Coleman type propane tanks are brazed together?

Welded. Usually most of it is done with a roller-type resistance
welder.

Looks like I'll hacksaw the bottle abart, and weld it back together
with the pop-can inside.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

clare wrote:

Need to find a decent flywheel - likely about 8 inches or 180mm, more
or less.

Get a weight-lifting disk.
[And ignore the answers, that it will fly apart.]

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de