Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Will

Default Making an etch mask

Hi guys, a how do I question...

What I am trying to acheive is glass bottles etched with our initials
for wedding favours. I have a gritblaster and compressor as well as all
the common tools including a lathe (but not a milling machine).

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

I will have to blast 40 bottles, so a mask that only lasts 4 gos is not
up to the job, but 10 goes is possible if it is more than 4 times as
easy as making one that will last 40 goes IYSWIM.

The pattern is gonna be quite small 1cm to 1" max

Thanks
Will

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Will wrote:

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

There is a special adhesive masking film (yes, film!) that is for sand
blasting. You can cut the film by hand, or let it cut with a plotter
(that has a knife). Don't ask me for the brand.
Depending on how the mask looks like, you can use it for several blasts.
OTOH, the mask is rapidly made on a plotter.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

You can buy a photo sensitive product especially made for sand blasting
masks. I haven't got any links handy but you could search or ask on
rec.crafts.glass.

Will wrote:

Hi guys, a how do I question...

What I am trying to acheive is glass bottles etched with our initials
for wedding favours. I have a gritblaster and compressor as well as all
the common tools including a lathe (but not a milling machine).

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

I will have to blast 40 bottles, so a mask that only lasts 4 gos is not
up to the job, but 10 goes is possible if it is more than 4 times as
easy as making one that will last 40 goes IYSWIM.

The pattern is gonna be quite small 1cm to 1" max

Thanks
Will

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
David Billington

Google is useful like
http://www.ikonsignetch.com/app_rezinite.htm
http://www.megauk.com/cgi-bin/mega/l...m/quikmask.php

Will wrote:

Hi guys, a how do I question...

What I am trying to acheive is glass bottles etched with our initials
for wedding favours. I have a gritblaster and compressor as well as all
the common tools including a lathe (but not a milling machine).

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

I will have to blast 40 bottles, so a mask that only lasts 4 gos is not
up to the job, but 10 goes is possible if it is more than 4 times as
easy as making one that will last 40 goes IYSWIM.

The pattern is gonna be quite small 1cm to 1" max

Thanks
Will

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Randy Replogle

On 28 Feb 2006 06:44:22 -0800, "Will" wrote:

Hi guys, a how do I question...

What I am trying to acheive is glass bottles etched with our initials
for wedding favours. I have a gritblaster and compressor as well as all
the common tools including a lathe (but not a milling machine).

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

I will have to blast 40 bottles, so a mask that only lasts 4 gos is not
up to the job, but 10 goes is possible if it is more than 4 times as
easy as making one that will last 40 goes IYSWIM.

The pattern is gonna be quite small 1cm to 1" max

Thanks
Will

Here is etching cream, sandblasters, and alphabet stencils.
http://www.delphiglass.com/index.cfm...2&viewcat=1782
Randy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Richard J Kinch

Will writes:

How should I go around making a mask that I can blast thru to get the
required pattern of letters?

Thin rubber sheet (Enco etc) plus contact cement, if you want to cut by
hand with a razor knife. Inner tube repair kit rubber sheet will also do
if you just want to experiment with a sample.

For light cutting, computer-cut vinyl from a sign shop will do. A good
shop will also have sandblast mask material that costs more.

Reusable is tricky. Stencil shape and adhesive are not conducive. I would
go with a light blast and one throw-away vinyl stencil per piece.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bushy Pete

Get a sheet of 1/16 to 1/8" or similar rubber from either your local rubber
parts store or part of an old inner tube should fit round your wine bottle
and cut out the letters you want. Use a knife or scalpel blade and do it by
hand. A bit of soapy water will help, and bending the rubber to open the cut
a little will allow you to cut easier. Use colour pencils to draw your
pattern on the rubber before cutting and you may find it easier to cut a
shallow track then bend and stretch it while going deeper.

The rubber can be sticky taped to the bottle to hold it in one place, and
used with a thin layer of rubber glue or silicone sealant for the fiddly
bits, but experiment with a couple of bottles first, which of course gives
both of you a good reason to consume them.......

The rubber stencil should last long enough to do all 40 bottles you want to
do, as long as you are gentle with it and don't blast too close or hard on
the fine detail.

Another that I haven't tried, but might also be good is the flexible plastic
(Teflon?) kitchen cutting boards from the dollar shops. There are also
simple plastic stencils at a number of craft shops, but these may not go the
distance with the sandblaster.

Hope this helps.
Peter

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Will

Cheers All, I'll start with the inner tube option and see how that
looks (as I have plenty spare in the garage), we have well over a year,
and the GF (is there a usnet shorting for fiancee? SWMBO I guess, but I
still have an option!) has a few months to pine whist I am out of the
country.

Hi David, the internet is a small place isn't it!