Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gtslabs

Default Rotational to Linear Gear Reduction calculation

I am trying to backcalculate a fixed gear ratio of a linear drive
mechanism.
I have a DC motor and a linear motion lead screw geared to it.
If I have a linear velocity of 0.1 in/min and the rotational speed of
the motor is 10 rpm
Then what would be the gear ratio? 100:1?
Thanks in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

not enought info

what is the output rpm or angle per minute

the reason being how do you measure the linear velocity

how far from the center of the output shaft

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

That would depend on the pitch of the lead screw, wouldn't it?
You need to know the distance the slide travels for 1 lead-screw
rotation.

I'm assuming you are looking for the motor-to-lead-screw gear ratio.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gtslabs

What I did was set my output to 0.1 in/min of linear travel of a
leadscrew. I then measured the time for 1 rotation of the motor shaft
(before it entered the geared linear device) which was 6 sec. From that
info I wanted to backcalculate the gear ratio of the linear mechanism.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gtslabs

I measured 0.01 inch of linear travel of my leadscrew with 1 rotation
of my motor.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

1 rotation of your motor, but aren't you looking for the gear reduction
between the motor and the leadscrew?

If you're looking for the relationship between the motor rotation and
the linear travel, you already have that.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gtslabs

Yes, The gear reduction between the motor and leadscrew is what I need
to know.
I need to order a second linear device and I have no nameplate to go by
so I was looking for alternative drives
once I calculated its ratio.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gtslabs

I have a motor turning what I believe is a Ball Screw Jack.
I need about 2000 lbs of force and very low speeds of about 0.0001
in/min.
So I am looking to find the gear reduction of the ball screw jack based
on the motor rotation
and linear advancement of the lead screw as I have given before.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

OK, so all you need to do is be able to see the leadscrew and either
measure the pitch or measure the table movement for 1 rotation.

If you can't establish the leadscrew pitch you can't establish the gear
ratio.

If you can see the leadscrew and the motor shaft, though, you can just
count turns directly.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

if the power is a worm gear that is calculated as a 1 tooth gear