Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Default Swap? Atlas 10F change gears, need 618 gears

I have an Atlas 10F I'm parting out, need accessories for 618 just
acquired.

Atlas 10F, have for trade:
Carriage, apron & cross slide
tailstock
bed 36" OAL
headstock (babbit, re-poured by PO)
reversing box
leadscrew
Change gears, incomplete set
A few other small parts

618:
Need rack gearcase for carriage traverse
Need change gears
steady rest
have keyless chuck on MT1 (?)

anyone want to trade?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andrew H. Wakefield

Rex, just out of curiosity, what made you decide to keep the 618 and part
out the 10F, rather than the other way around?

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have an Atlas 10F I'm parting out, need accessories for 618 just
acquired.

Atlas 10F, have for trade:
Carriage, apron & cross slide
tailstock
bed 36" OAL
headstock (babbit, re-poured by PO)
reversing box
leadscrew
Change gears, incomplete set
A few other small parts

618:
Need rack gearcase for carriage traverse
Need change gears
steady rest
have keyless chuck on MT1 (?)

anyone want to trade?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Andrew H. Wakefield wrote:
Rex, just out of curiosity, what made you decide to keep the 618 and part
out the 10F, rather than the other way around?

Good question. Answer is Relative Condition.

The 10F is babbit bearing HS, 36" bed so it's a 10x18
damaged or missing includes:
Most of leadscrew drive - gears, harp, end bearings
backgear assy
countershaft assy
carriage crossfeed
carriage longitudinal feed gearcase
compound casting

It was set up with a 2HP DC variable speed motor, which I've separated.
Basically, the headstock included the base, the hinged upper cover,
spindle, and a 12" pulley on the left driven by the variable-speed
motor. It was basically a mess when I got it, although somewhat usable.

The 618 is complete, less change gears and maybe a 4-jaw. I've always
had a strange affinity for old tabletop metal lathes

Probably more than you wanted to know

I have other lathes
9" Logan
10x24 Enco
Couple of old AA shelf-warmers.

Rex

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have an Atlas 10F I'm parting out, need accessories for 618 just
acquired.

Atlas 10F, have for trade:
Carriage, apron & cross slide
tailstock
bed 36" OAL
headstock (babbit, re-poured by PO)
reversing box
leadscrew
Change gears, incomplete set
A few other small parts

618:
Need rack gearcase for carriage traverse
Need change gears
steady rest
have keyless chuck on MT1 (?)

anyone want to trade?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gary Brady

Rex B wrote:
I have an Atlas 10F I'm parting out, need accessories for 618 just
acquired.

Atlas 10F, have for trade:
Carriage, apron & cross slide
tailstock
bed 36" OAL
headstock (babbit, re-poured by PO)
reversing box
leadscrew
Change gears, incomplete set
A few other small parts

Hey Rex, do you have the gear that drives the crossfeed? My power cross
feed doesn't work and I think I need a new gear with a good key in it.

--
Gary Brady
Austin, TX
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

"Rex B" wrote in message
I have an Atlas 10F I'm parting out, need accessories for 618 just
acquired.

Atlas 10F, have for trade:
Carriage, apron & cross slide
tailstock
bed 36" OAL
headstock (babbit, re-poured by PO)
reversing box
leadscrew
Change gears, incomplete set
A few other small parts

618:
Need rack gearcase for carriage traverse
Need change gears
steady rest
have keyless chuck on MT1 (?)

anyone want to trade?

--
- -
Rex Burkheimer
WM Automotive
Fort Worth TX

Won't the AA change gears work on the 6" Atlas or am I confused here?

Don Young

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Don Young wrote:
Won't the AA change gears work on the 6" Atlas or am I confused here?

Yes, I understand the AA 109 lathes have change gears that are the same
as a 618. However, neither of my AAs have change gears. One has a
belt-driven leadscrew. The other has no leadscrew drive (109-0701). The
first AA that had change gears as the 109-0703. Neither of mine are used
at all, just reside on a bookshelf.

Rex
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eddie

Is your lathe like this?
http://home.earthlink.net/~edspeer1/atlas6.html
I don't need this lathe I want to part it out.
I have all the change gears and steady.
Eddie

edspeer1(not