Oliver Norris

Default Joining Stainless Steel

Hello there, again I need your help

I have returned this time with a few facts about which I would like your
help Please.

First I have to make Stainless Steel Letters from 0.9mm, Grade 304 The
method of jointing is soldering and it's here I would like your help Please
Solder is (Castoline 157 T.) Flux is (FL 4948.) Heat is from a small
torch from a 1 Ltr / 1 Quart Cylinder via a 1.02Mtr / 3' long tube.I am
told at full blast it can make up tp 400*C / 752*F. Will this Solder & Flux
stay stuck to this kind of steel is there any better suited materials to
make these joints, I have been practicing on some of the letters and there's
some scorch marks what's the best way to remove these apart from not putting
them there. any help tips will be very well received thanking you for your
time and patience. Oliver...

This request is also posted in Sci.engrjoining.welding.

jim rozen

In article , Oliver Norris says...

First I have to make Stainless Steel Letters from 0.9mm, Grade 304 The
method of jointing is soldering and it's here I would like your help Please
Solder is (Castoline 157 T.) Flux is (FL 4948.) Heat is from a small
torch from a 1 Ltr / 1 Quart Cylinder via a 1.02Mtr / 3' long tube.I am
told at full blast it can make up tp 400*C / 752*F. Will this Solder & Flux
stay stuck to this kind of steel is there any better suited materials to
make these joints, I have been practicing on some of the letters and there's
some scorch marks what's the best way to remove these apart from not putting
them there. any help tips will be very well received thanking you for your
time and patience. Oliver...

Even for 1mm thick stainless, I would not use a torch. A large
iron or a weller gun will do just fine. You may be overheating
the flux and boiling it off the surface before it has a chance to work.

If the castoline 157T is anything like the Eutectic 157 then it
is a 95 tin, 5 silver material and is the best possible solder
to use, for soft soldering stainless.

The stainless has very very low thermal conductivity so you
will need to heat the item and flow the solder locally with
the iron tip, the part will not come up to temperature
overall the way brass or copper will. Also once the solder
flows you can slack the heat off a bit, as it will not dissipate.

Jim
temperature all at once

please reply to: