Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Default Cincinnati Horozontal Mill problem

I volunteer at the local science
museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly steam and
early diesel tractors and road rollers. We have a
pretty good shop with a selection older, but good
solid machine tools. Among them is a Cincinnati
horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial F5409-6) made in
1946. Another of the volunteers(No , it really
Wasn't me) pulled the gearbox selector assembly
off the side of it as the machine appeared to be
seized. It appears that it somehow selected two
different gear ratios at once. It appears also,
that the gear selection is done hydraulically by
pistons which push selector arms in response to
the position of a multi-port valve .The question
is -how do you get the selector arms in the
correct position to re-assemble it. We will
probably have to replace the "o" rings on the
pistons as that is possibly why it selected two
gears at once.
Does anyone have any experience with this or a
similar machine? Am I looking in the correct areas
and are my suppositions reasonable?

We spent 2 hours today (and a fair amount of bad
language) trying to get those selectors in the
right positions to re-assemble it.

Tom Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
[...]

I'm no help with your problem, Tom, but I thought I might relate a similar
incidence, one with serious consequences.

Years ago, when I was in training, the company had a #4 vertical Cincinnati
mill that, likewise, shifted hydraulically. On several occasions, the head
would go from one high to low range. but not when selected. Serious gear
damage resulted until our main machine tool repair man found the problem,
which I don't recall.

Good luck with your repair. Sure must be frustrating.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Harold and Susan Vordos" wrote
in message ...

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message
[...]

Thanks for the encouragement Harold. I'm pretty
sure that's why it jammed up, but I'm damned if I
can figure out how to get it all back together.
Maybe a nights sleep and it will all make sense.

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Tom Miller" wrote in message
I volunteer at the local science museum,rebuilding old machinery. Mostly
steam and early diesel tractors and road rollers. We have a pretty good
shop with a selection older, but good solid machine tools. Among them is a
Cincinnati horizontal mill No.2 M1 ( serial F5409-6) made in 1946. Another
of the volunteers(No , it really Wasn't me) pulled the gearbox selector
assembly off the side of it as the machine appeared to be seized. It
appears that it somehow selected two different gear ratios at once. It
appears also, that the gear selection is done hydraulically by pistons
which push selector arms in response to

Hmmmm... I seldom use my Cincy#2 in the horizontal mode, (got a BP 'M' head
on it) but my sump is dry, and it still shifts fine... so this confuses me.
I think I'll pull mine apart (after some _serious_ research) and see what's
actually going on in there.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement Harold. I'm pretty
sure that's why it jammed up, but I'm damned if I
can figure out how to get it all back together.
Maybe a nights sleep and it will all make sense.

Absent better info, it sounds like a job for a custom tool. It might be
as simple as a spanner or two, or perhaps a plate with some screw jacks
and access windows. Keep in mind that if large forces are keeping you
from assembling it, any slips/failure of tools could be _very_ dangerous.

One nutty thought: if the forces are hydraulic, drain the system??? But
you would have done or thought of that. Have you found a way to bleed it?

Good luck!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
rigger

Tom Miller wrote:
[...]

Do you have any schematics, either hydraulic or mechanical, for this
machine?

dennis
in nca

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
John

Tom Miller wrote:

[...]

Ive repaired quite a few of them so maybe I can be of some help. To
line up the shifters you should pull off the outside and inside plate on
the opposide side of the mill. This will gain you access to the inside
of the machine so you can make sure all three of the shifter yokes are
in the proper place. You have to set them up in the apporximate
position and guide them in as you put the shifter housing in place. Make
sure you get the little O rings in place at the bottom of the shifter
housing.

The first thing to do is to check the hydraulic pressure on the shifter
system. There is a port on same side as the hudraulic shifter unit that
allows you to measure pressure. I leave a gauge right in the port so you
can keep an eye on it on a continuing basis. I think the pressure
settin should be about 300 lbs/ inch. The pressure adjustment is in the
back over to the left of the main drive pulley. It should have a plate
on it marking it as such.

I would suggest you should get a maintance manual of your particular
machine. The information above is from my experience working on #4's
and bigger, but they are all basicly the same.

When shifting gears, there is a lot going on inside of that machine.
Make sure that the motor is turning the right way. There is an arrow on
the main drive pulley that indicates the proper rotation. If you have
proper rotation you will have hydraulic pressure. The gear pump is
driven off the input power shaft before the clutch. One big problem is
the pickup oil screen. After years of use it will get gummed up and
will cause the oil pressure to drop.

You can check that the shifte forks are free. They should move easily
with a little hand pressure. Watch out for the residual oil that will
be pushed out of the input ports.

Watch out, cinci uses double set screws in many places. You have to
measure the depths to make sure you got both of them out if you are
removing a part.

John
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Bill Schwab" wrote in
message
ink.net...
Tom,

Thanks for the encouragement Harold. I'm
pretty sure that's why it jammed up, but I'm
damned if I can figure out how to get it all
back together. Maybe a nights sleep and it will
all make sense.

Absent better info, it sounds like a job for a
custom tool. It might be as simple as a spanner
or two, or perhaps a plate with some screw jacks
and access windows. Keep in mind that if large
forces are keeping you from assembling it, any
slips/failure of tools could be _very_
dangerous.

One nutty thought: if the forces are hydraulic,
drain the system??? But you would have done or
thought of that. Have you found a way to bleed
it?

Good luck!

Bill

Thanks Bill
The system is fairly easily drained as there are
"nut& olive" connections on the lines. just
slacke'm off and watch the oil go into the top of
your boot. The biggest problem is getting
everything lined up. The bottom selector lever
tends to hang down but. a loop of fishing line
under it and up to the inspection plug fixes that
one.
I'm going back out there Friday so I'll let you
know how we went.
Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"rigger" wrote in message
oups.com...

Tom Miller wrote:
[...]

Not a sausage.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Scienceworks is the science branch of Museums
Victoria located in Melbourne Australia (Where it
was 109 degrees Fahrenheit last week and is 65
degrees today)

Here's a link to our page

Tom
"wayne mak" wrote
in message ...
Where is your museum?
"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Thanks John! That sounds like the sort of info
we needed. . we'll give it a whirl on Friday and
see what happens..
Much appreciated

Tom Miller
"John" wrote in message
Tom Miller wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

Oops! Missed the link

http://scienceworks.museum.vic.gov.au/
Tom

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...

Scienceworks is the science branch of Museums
Victoria located in Melbourne Australia (Where
it was 109 degrees Fahrenheit last week and is
65 degrees today)

Here's a link to our page

Tom
"wayne mak"
wrote in message
Where is your museum?
"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Schwab

Tom,

The system is fairly easily drained as there are
"nut& olive" connections on the lines. just
slacke'm off and watch the oil go into the top of
your boot. The biggest problem is getting
everything lined up. The bottom selector lever
tends to hang down but. a loop of fishing line
under it and up to the inspection plug fixes that
one.

What would happen if the line broke? If it could be violent, make sure
you won't get pinched/smashed. Is there room for a machinist's jack?

I'm going back out there Friday so I'll let you
know how we went.

Please do. In fact, some pictures on a web site would be a great fix
for us

Good luck!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

I thought I'd give you a final update on the
Cincinnati Mill story. Further investigation has
discovered a collapsed bearing and damaged gears.
It was decided that, after a short ,but moving
ceremony it would be delivered in the final care
of a scrap merchant. R.I.P

Tom Miller

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 09:13:33 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

I thought I'd give you a final update on the
Cincinnati Mill story. Further investigation has
discovered a collapsed bearing and damaged gears.
It was decided that, after a short ,but moving
ceremony it would be delivered in the final care
of a scrap merchant. R.I.P

Tom Miller

What you really want anyways, is a nice Kearny & Trecker/Milwaukee #2
miller. They are nearly bullet proof. If you find one however..remove
the ventilation cover high on the right side (facing the table) and
with the motor running look inside with a flashlight and make sure the
lube pump is spritzing all the gears and such. The resevor is on the
back side of the miller with a giant sized Flip Top to fill it with
and a sight glass. About the only thing that seems to go wrong with
them is the oil pump breaking (gear pump) and even then...you can put
a powered oil pump on the machine somewhere and keep her going and
going and going and going.....

Gunner

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

- Proverbs 22:3
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Gunner" wrote in message
snip----

What you really want anyways, is a nice Kearny & Trecker/Milwaukee #2
miller. They are nearly bullet proof.

Absolutely! I've run several. They stand alone where serious mills are
concerned.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

OK I'll see what I can do.

Tom
"Bill Schwab" wrote in
message
ink.net...
Tom,

The system is fairly easily drained as there
are "nut& olive" connections on the lines. just
slacke'm off and watch the oil go into the top
of your boot. The biggest problem is getting
everything lined up. The bottom selector lever
tends to hang down but. a loop of fishing line
under it and up to the inspection plug fixes
that one.

What would happen if the line broke? If it
could be violent, make sure you won't get
pinched/smashed. Is there room for a
machinist's jack?

I'm going back out there Friday so I'll let you
know how we went.

Please do. In fact, some pictures on a web site
would be a great fix for us

Good luck!

Bill

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

wrote:

[...]

Fist we've got to find the money, then the
machine..

BTW The trick of replacing the oil pump with an
external electrically driven one, is a good one.
I've done it one Stahl refrigeration screw
compressors with good results. Early Stahl units
required that the oil pump bearings be changed
every 2000 hours. (and baby, you'd better do it!)
The rest of the thing was immune to everything but
lightning strike. Replaced the internal pump with
a blank plate,and an external Roper gear pump.
Basically you blessed it once a year and that was
it for maintenance!

Tom

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:27:47 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

[...]

here in the States..a K&T #2 can be had for $500-1000, usually with
tooling. Ive bought and sold some for customers for $350

Gunner

- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

You won't find them at that price in Aus.

Tom
"Gunner" wrote in message
On Thu, 2 Feb 2006 17:27:47 +1100, "Tom Miller"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in
message
. ..

&
[...]

"A prudent man foresees the difficulties ahead
and prepares for them;
the simpleton goes blindly on and suffers the
consequences."
- Proverbs 22:3

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Further to the saga of the horizontal milling
machine, we today decided to give it the Lazarus
treatment. We pulled the gearbox out of it and
immediately found the real cause of the problem.
The countershaft nut had backed off and allowed
excessive!! clearance in the bearings. we
tightened it up, decided we could live with the
wear in the gears and will re-assemble it next
week. Someone asked about photo's so I've put thee
in the dropbox.

Regards

Tom Miller

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Tom Miller" wrote in
message ...
[...]

Last word on the Cincinnati Mill.

We re-assembled it after cleaning out the oil
sump and filters. . A test run was successful and
it is back to work for it..

Thanks to all for your suggestions and
encouragement.

Tom Miller