Jeff Klein

Default copper roof above dormer tarnished polishing

We moved into a new house that has copper roof above 2 dormers. It is
tarnished and weathered (about 8 years old). I have seen similar roof
adornments in the Raleigh, NC area that absolutely shine, and I like the
look.

How does one go about polishing, and retaining the shine?

Thanks, Jeff

copper roof above dormer tarnished polishing

Glenn Ashmore

You don't. A copper roof is supposed to turn brown and then slowly turn
a light blue/green over the years. You can wash it in venegar and salt
every few months to get some copper color back but that just delays the
inevitable.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

lane

"Glenn Ashmore" wrote in message
You don't. A copper roof is supposed to turn brown and then slowly turn
a light blue/green over the years. You can wash it in venegar and salt
every few months to get some copper color back but that just delays the
inevitable.

Unless you want a lot of maintenance. Most people won't do it, and most
people like the normal copper patina process.

Don Bruder

In article 3VEPb.23803$Mb7.10129@lakeread04,
Glenn Ashmore wrote:

top-post moved to bottom, where it belongs

Jeff Klein wrote:
We moved into a new house that has copper roof above 2 dormers. It is
tarnished and weathered (about 8 years old). I have seen similar roof
adornments in the Raleigh, NC area that absolutely shine, and I like the
look.

How does one go about polishing, and retaining the shine?

Thanks, Jeff

copper roof above dormer tarnished polishing

You don't. A copper roof is supposed to turn brown and then slowly turn
a light blue/green over the years. You can wash it in venegar and salt
every few months to get some copper color back but that just delays the
inevitable.

Incorrect. You polish the bejeezus out of it, then you seal it with a
clear finish to prevent air exposure. Depending on the quality of the
sealing material used, it might last 5-10 years between applications.

Properly done, a copper roof can keep its shine for a long time, and
never show a hint of either brown (sulphides in the atmosphere are the
cause there, if I recall rightly) or green/blue (chlorides, sulfates,
and oxides would be the bad guys in this case) or lose the desirable
shine.

The critical concept is "done right", which ain't quick, easy, or cheap.

And although it will last for quite a while, it will eventually fail,
and you'll be back to a brown/green/blue mess if you don't repeat the
process periodically. The huge majority of people don't have the time,
money, or motivation to "keep up with it" properly, so the common
(mis-)perception is that it simply isn't possible at all, which is
patently false.

Personally, I prefer the green/blue weathered look. Just watch out for
copper sulphate trying to kill the plants near the downspouts...

--
Don Bruder - --- Preferred Email - SpamAssassinated.
Hate SPAM? See http://www.spamassassin.org for some seriously great info.

FLAT ROOF - modern recovering methods? Richard Sterry UK diy 10 March 29th 04 11:28 AM
Pitch and gravel roof? Terry UK diy 3 February 25th 04 03:43 PM
Roof design problem Niel A. Farrow UK diy 0 January 26th 04 11:02 PM
Flat roof in Western Scotland - your opinion please none none UK diy 17 January 14th 04 08:20 PM
Garden Shed Roof Leaking News UK diy 3 November 6th 03 10:05 PM