Jim Flanagan

Default Cosmetic Aluminum 'Hole Plugging' Help Needed

Hello..
I have an aluminum radio chassis that I am in the process of
restoring. By restoring, I mean that I have dissassembled the radio to
the bare natural aluminum chassis and am polishing out most of the
scratches, etc. On the back of the chassis, there are two holes approx
#10 screw size that were drilled by a previous owner for no telling
what. Anyway, I need some tips on how to patch these holes in an
attempt to restore the original 'look' of this chassis as best I can.
Here are the options that I have thought of:

Place a screw/nut into the hole and live with it.

Use a press in stud. Do they make aluminum studs?

Have someone attempt to weld up the hole with aluminum and
grind/feather the surrounding aluminum.

I've considered, epoxing a piece of Al disk to the back of hole on the
inside of the chassis. Cutting another disk of Al which would fit the
hole as best as possible and epoxing. Sanding and feathering would then
follow.

What are your opinions as to how and approach this? Since I want the
natural aluminum look, painting is not an option. Thanks for any advice
you would be willing to share.

Jim
axolotl

Jim Flanagan wrote:
I need some tips on how to patch these holes in an
attempt to restore the original 'look' of this chassis as best I can.

Flush rivets.

Kevin Gallimore

jim rozen

In article et, Jim Flanagan
says...

What are your opinions as to how and approach this? Since I want the
natural aluminum look, painting is not an option.

Aluminum can be soft soldered with the correct solder/flux
combination. I would consider dimpling the hole from the
outside in, and soldering an aluminum disc in place on the
front side, and then feathering it in.

Tig welding the hole shut would produce a nearly undetectable
repair - but of course in both cases the chassis would have
to be nearly completely stripped of components to avoid
heat damage.

Jim

please reply to:

#10 screw size that were drilled by a previous owner for no telling
what. Anyway, I need some tips on how to patch these holes in an
attempt to restore the original 'look' of this chassis as best I can.
Here are the options that I have thought of:

Place a screw/nut into the hole and live with it.

Use a press in stud. Do they make aluminum studs?

Have someone attempt to weld up the hole with aluminum and
grind/feather the surrounding aluminum.

I've considered, epoxing a piece of Al disk to the back of hole on the
inside of the chassis. Cutting another disk of Al which would fit the
hole as best as possible and epoxing. Sanding and feathering would then
follow.

What are your opinions as to how and approach this? Since I want the
natural aluminum look, painting is not an option. Thanks for any advice
you would be willing to share.

Jim

Greetings Jim,
This is a little work but will leave an undetectable repair in bare
aluminum. Go to the hardware store or hobby shop and get a length of
aluminum rod that is close to the same size as the hole. If it doesn't
fit close, that is within about the thickness of a hair or two, then
get the next size up and a drill the same size. Drill out the hole
carefully so it is round. Then hammer lightly on the end of that rod
you bought. Just enough to swell it about 1/64" to 1/32" right at the
end. Hacksaw off this end so it that when pressed into the hole it
protrudes about 1/32". Clean both pieces so there is no oil on either.
Sand lightly the plug before installing. Now, put an anvil of some
sort under the swelled end. A good one would be a flat end punch about
twice the diameter of the hole held in a vice. Use another flat ended
punch placed on the sawed end of the punch and give it a good whack.
This will swell the rivet in the hole and expand the side you are
working on. It is OK to hit it more to get it really tight but don't
over do it. The hammering is going to harden the aluminum and
eventually crack it. After the rivet is tight you can file and sand it
flush. If the aluminum is not anodized it will not show. If you clear
coat it will never show. If left un-coated it will probably eventually
show. Either as a really fine ring or, if the alloys are really
different, one may be slightly darker than the other.
Cheers,
eric

#10 screw size that were drilled by a previous owner for no telling
[...]

This sounds like something that I can do.. Thanks Eric. I will give it
a try. Take care..

Jim

ATP

Jim Flanagan wrote:
In article ,
says...
wrote:

Hello..
I have an aluminum radio chassis that I am in the process of
restoring. By restoring, I mean that I have dissassembled the
radio to the bare natural aluminum chassis and am polishing out
most of the scratches, etc. On the back of the chassis, there are
two holes approx #10 screw size that were drilled by a previous
owner for no telling what. Anyway, I need some tips on how to
[...]

One of my mechanics was telling me today that at Grumman they used to cool
aluminum plugs in liquid nitrogen, stick them in the hole and machine the
excess off. You could not tell where the hole was after the process was
done. He did not do the process himself but witnessed it being done as a
repair for misdrilled/oversized holes.