Roy

Default Parts 3 and 4 of homebrew bandsaw is now on website

Its been cutting metal and works like a champ, All I have to go on it
is the covers and guards and the paint job.

I also posted some info and images on a push type string trimmer and
also rear wheel weights I made for my L & G tractor.

All are accessible from the Projects Page
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Bernd

"Roy" wrote in message
Its been cutting metal and works like a champ, All I have to go on it
is the covers and guards and the paint job.

I also posted some info and images on a push type string trimmer and
also rear wheel weights I made for my L & G tractor.

All are accessible from the Projects Page
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Nice work Roy. Your an inspiration for the use of recycled parts. Tried to
look at your lawn vac but was told the page could not be found.
BTW, realy like those castings you make. They look realy nice.

Regards,
Bernd

Brian Lawson

Hey Roy,

The 3-wheeler looks just great. I think the paint scheme, or at least
the colors, that the signs give looks pretty nice too. Sort of like
"The Official NASCAR Bandsaw" or something. Give that some
consideration. I'd want anything that great that I made to be a
stand-out!!

A comment on the web site. I tried the link for the lawn-vac
http://www.frugalmachinist.com/lvac.html and got the dreaded
HTTP 404 - File not found
Internet Explorer
error. All the other links worked OK, as far as I could tell.

Really great, and you are definitely prolific and ingenious!

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 05:28:32 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

Its been cutting metal and works like a champ, All I have to go on it
is the covers and guards and the paint job.

I also posted some info and images on a push type string trimmer and
also rear wheel weights I made for my L & G tractor.

All are accessible from the Projects Page
Visit my website:
http://www.frugalmachinist.com
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Roy

On Fri, 16 Jan 2004 14:54:40 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

===
==="Roy" wrote in message
t...
=== Its been cutting metal and works like a champ, All I have to go on it
=== is the covers and guards and the paint job.
===
=== I also posted some info and images on a push type string trimmer and
=== also rear wheel weights I made for my L & G tractor.
===
=== All are accessible from the Projects Page
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===
===Nice work Roy. Your an inspiration for the use of recycled parts. Tried to
===look at your lawn vac but was told the page could not be found.
===BTW, realy like those castings you make. They look realy nice.
===
===Regards,
===Bernd
===

Try it now. I think I had yet to put up the lawn vac when this was
posted, and during posting the connection died so I had to do it
again. It seems to be ok now.

Regards

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Bernd

"Roy" wrote in message
Try it now. I think I had yet to put up the lawn vac when this was
posted, and during posting the connection died so I had to do it
again. It seems to be ok now.

Works OK now. I like the new blade that you made for it. I live in upsate
New York and was thinking of building a snow blower. Do you think the type
of blade you made would work with a snow blower. I'd like to make it about 2
or 3 feet in dia. I've seen the noes they use on the narrow gauge line out
west and was thinking of something along those lines but smaller and driven
with a gas engine not steam, although that would be unique.
Great web site. I look to for insperation from time to time.

Regards,
Bernd

Roy

On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 15:31:05 GMT, "Bernd" wrote:

===
==="Roy" wrote in message
t...
[...]

I dunno. I don;t see why it wold not work. That type of blade seems to
do great on those trains you see pictures of. Probably a lot more
dangerous if you pick up some trash when blowing snow. TORO used to
make a small snow blower that you could hold in your hands and clean
off steps etc with back in the early 70's that used a paddle wheel
driven by a small 2 cycle engine, and it worked great. I thinkit was
called a Toro Sno Pup!
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Glenn Lyford

I live in upsate New York and was thinking of building a snow blower.
Do you think the type of blade you made would work with a snow
blower. I'd like to make it about 2 or 3 feet in dia.

I dunno. I don't see why it wold not work. That type of blade seems to
do great on those trains you see pictures of. [...] TORO used to
make a small snow blower that you could hold in your hands and clean
off steps etc with back in the early 70's that used a paddle wheel
driven by a small 2 cycle engine, and it worked great.

I inheritted an electric "snoshovel" made by Dynamark,
probably 80's vintage. It uses a flat impeller wheel much
like the one in discussion (and used in the 2nd stage of
2-stage snowblowers, for that matter).

It has the axis of the wheel roughly parallel to the handle,
so that the open portion of the wheel sort of faces the ground.
There is a scraper portion of the housing, roughly the width
of the wheel, which transitions from flat, to scrape the
pavement, to round, to feed into the wheel, over maybe 2 or 3
inches. Only about the bottom half of the wheel is exposed.
The top of the housing follows the curve of the wheel until it
nears the top of the wheel, where is follows a straight line
taper, at maybe a 45 deg. angle, to the openning, also 2 or 3
inches straight across the top. Direction of throw is
controlled by reversing the direction of the motor, so that
the snow hits the openning from the tangent of the wheel.

With that said, it doesn't actually do that good a job of
throwing snow. It's heavy for the amount of power it has,
and I find I spend just about as much energy using it as a
regular shovel. However, I can see where scaling this up
would make it more effective. There are a couple of simple
reversing mechanisms you could use, but a conventional
directional chute and single direction of rotation would
probably work better.

My only other piece of advice on such a beast is, take note
of a trend in modern snothrower evolution. The area of
the chute is always constant or expanding in area from where
it leaves the wheel. I have an older model regular snow
blower that has the square to round section both of the same
size, say 5" square to 5" round. Works fine for dry snow,
but it wedges up with wet stuff due to the reduction in area.

Given all that, you may find buying a used unit to be less
of a hassle. Do what some of the repair guys do, and buy
several you see listed as "broken, cheap" on the tag
sale or flea market circuit (especially in the off season),
and combine the best of the 2 or 3 machines you end up
with, and maybe a new motor...

My $0.02,
--Glenn Lyford
Bernd

"Glenn Lyford" wrote in message
. ..

-------------------------- SNIP -------------------------
Given all that, you may find buying a used unit to be less
of a hassle. Do what some of the repair guys do, and buy
several you see listed as "broken, cheap" on the tag
sale or flea market circuit (especially in the off season),
and combine the best of the 2 or 3 machines you end up
with, and maybe a new motor...

My $0.02,
--Glenn Lyford

As I said I'm thinking of something in the 2 to 3 foot dia. range.
Your point is well taken on the aspect of throwing the snow. I used to
have a Massey 12hp tractor with a thrower on it. It was single stage.
Just an auger and the chute was in the center. It did get plugged on
wet snow and was a pain to clean out. I like the rotory blade better
because I can make something like that. The auger type would be to
hard to make. Since I'm into railroading as a hobby also I have
pictures and drawings of the rotory plows they used on the narrow
gauge lines in the Rockies. A study of these drawing could posibly be
scaled down.
I'm in the process of developing an idea for a tracked vehicle with a
blower on it. I plan on posting it as I make some mesurable progress
on it.

Regards,
Bernd