Running hydraulic pumps backwards?

Old January 26th 06, 02:56 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Default Running hydraulic pumps backwards?

Awl--

Ahm about to hook up a very bad-assed Kalamazoo automatic horz'l cutoff saw.
Ahm doin my best not to burn it up/down (which would make *three* in a
goddamm row...), but I don't have a way of predetermining rotation on the
pump.
The saw motor used to be a "reference", but numbers came off the wiring, and
that reference is lost. IOW, even if the saw motor spins right, the pump
could still spin wrong.

How bad is that to do, momentarily? Can I get away with it, ie verify pump
direction w/ the pressure gauge?

As a pita alternative, I could disconnect the lovejoy coupling, and look at
just the motor spinning, IF I knew what direction the pump head should turn.
I looked for the arrow on the head, but did not see it. I know the high and
low side of the pump head--is there a std rotation direction between the
two?

Iny idears??

I'm tryna get this thing going *tonite*, as I got some peeps comin over
tomorrow, who I would like to see turn green w/ envy....
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll

Old January 26th 06, 03:40 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

[...]

Have you tried to find the pump info online? As long as the pump is
filled with hydraulic fluid there should be no problem with it running
briefly in reverse.

To be extra safe you might try disconnecting the coupling and turning
the pump by hand to determine the correct rotation. If turning by hand
is too slow, then perhaps with a cordless drill, the slower it spins the
more likely the fluid already in the pump will provide adequate
lubrication to prevent any harm.

A quick review of one pump manufacturer indicated that many (not all
though) of the gear pumps are designed for bi-directional operation.

Pete C.
Old January 26th 06, 05:20 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

clip) Iny idears??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it is a gear pump it's easy. The gears carry fluid around the outside,
and it gets squeezed as the teeth mesh. So the flow is in the direction
that the outside of the gears move. Iny mo questions?

Old January 26th 06, 05:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Well if you can reach the Lovejoy coupling, try moving it some by hand
while you put your finger over one of the supply or discharge ports.
Usually they seal well enough you can feel some pressure or suction at
the port. Once you know which way it has to turn, reconnect the lines
and bump it over with a quick on off while someone holds a piece of
paper or cardboard against the coupling to see which way it's turning.
Assuming this is a three phase motor, and if the pump design prohibits
any reverse motion at all, (not likely), borrow or buy a motor phase
checker. Grainger used to sell them, maybe they still do. It connects
to the motor leads allows rotation pre checking without actually
running the motor.

Old January 26th 06, 07:01 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

In article ,
"Proctologically Violated©®" wrote:

How bad is that to do, momentarily? Can I get away with it, ie verify pump
direction w/ the pressure gauge?

Hydraulic pumps have a case drain that will dump leaked oil back to
the intake side. If you run the pump backwards and pressure up the side
connected to the case drain you can blow out seals or even hydraulically
push a shaft sideways in the housing, causing a lot of damage. While
you're trying to figure out which way to go, keep the flow unrestricted.

Old January 26th 06, 11:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 04:20:15 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

If it is a gear pump it's easy. The gears carry fluid around the outside,
and it gets squeezed as the teeth mesh. So the flow is in the direction
that the outside of the gears move. Iny mo questions?

LOL ..
--
Cliff
Old January 27th 06, 03:18 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

"Leo Lichtman" wrote in message

clip) Iny idears??
^^^^^^^^^^^^^
If it is a gear pump it's easy. The gears carry fluid around the outside,
and it gets squeezed as the teeth mesh. So the flow is in the direction
that the outside of the gears move. Iny mo questions?

Let go a little farther with this. The fluid flow in a pump ALWAYS takes
the longest path through the pump from entrance to exit. Hence the oil in a
gear pump travels around the outside of the gears, Someone please give me
an example of a pump where this is not true.

Gary H. Lucas

Old January 27th 06, 06:53 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,alt.machines.cnc

Funny you mentioned this.
I did go back, figgering indeed there's *gotta* be an arrow some place.
Well, I found what were proly the most cryptic arrows in all of
Pump-dom--goddamm....

All seems well. All the advice is appreciated, and I inadvertently followed
one, causing quite a mess:
Running the pump w/ the hoses disconnected--goodgawd...
But, if you know which hoses are the supply, and which are the return
(obvious in most cases), effluent oil from one or the other should indicate
desired rotation--under low pressure, as the poster mentioned.
--
Mr. P.V.'d
formerly Droll Troll
om...