Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

Default Picked up a sheldon lathe today

I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure what
collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be better built
than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some pictures in the
coming weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

On Sun, 8 Jan 2006 21:33:07 -0500, "wayne mak"
wrote:

I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure what
collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be better built
than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some pictures in the
coming weeks.

Please!

Gunner

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I have a Sheldon lathe and a fair number of documents.
Let me know if you need information.

Martin

Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

wayne mak wrote:
I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure what
collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be better built
than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some pictures in the
coming weeks.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
wayne mak

If you have any information that would be great. These are 10" swing. I
cleaned one up, gave it a bath in oil and it moves nice. I will have to
power up in the next few days, its in my garage and we have a warm spell for
the week. It loks as if it uses ball bearing in many place the SB uses plain
bearings. The quick change box, HS and maybe the compound/apron. The apron
looks to be double wall and well built. The screws have almost no backlash.
The bed looks good the scraping marks are a bit worn but it still looks like
its had light use. There is no ridge but I don't know if these lathes show a
ridge with wear.

wayne mak wrote:
I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure
what collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be
better built than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some
pictures in the coming weeks.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

top posted
I don't know what level of info you are looking for.

see:
sku 21052 -- 2nd item down
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html

I have most of these books and they are worth the money. Also
see
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/milne/index.html

Uncle George

wayne mak wrote:
I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure
what collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be
better built than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some
pictures in the coming weeks.

News==----
Newsgroups
=----

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
RoyJ

I'm still trying to figure out what one of them wreighs. 10x24, circa
1960 with the 2 handle on the pedestal speed shift.

wayne mak wrote:

I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have
the smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not
sure what collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to
be better built than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take
some pictures in the coming weeks.

News==----
Newsgroups

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

wayne mak wrote:
I bought 2 sheldon lathes today, both are EL 46 P models, these have the
smaller spindle 1-3/4" but come with chucks and face plates. Not sure what
collet these will take. Solid little machines, they seem to be better built
than the Heavy 10 I sold a few months ago. I will take some pictures in the
coming weeks.

It just so happens that those are the two lathes I have an opportunity
to purchase(but probably won't due to their weight).

Nevertheless, for informational purposes, can you confirm the
approximate weight of these lathes?

The first is a Sheldon EL 46 P for $560.(It has a 10" swing, 3 jaw,
dead center, tool holder, some reamers, dog plate, a few dogs, a 3
phase motor, and a quick change box for power feed/threading. It is a
"lightly used" machine that came out of a high school.(I'm told it is
800lbs)).

The second is a South Bend Heavy 10L for $400.(It would need a serious
clean up, paint job, one gear, tailstock, and the crossfeed handle
replaced.(I'm told it is 900lbs)).

Thanks.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.