Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default Need some variacs in the UK

Hi all,

I need one, or possibly two, variacs. I've got a couple but they're
open-frame and I'm fed up of having to put them in an enclosure and
switch off the power to adjust them. Plus I'm planning to build them
into a power supply and I'd like another for experiments. I'm looking
for an enclosed, bench variac in a 240 V / 10 A rating or higher. I
also might need a 415 V / 10 A variac in the future, but this could be
open-frame, and I might consider a faulty three phase unit. Let me know
if you have anything available, or know of any good sources of surplus.

Any suggestions appreciated.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks, Nigel. I'll post a message there tomorrow.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Chris,
I have a large one. I'll get specs tomorrow and advise.
Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Thanks Bob. Are you in the US? If so I suspect shipping would make it
uneconomic. If you're in the UK, I'd be grateful to know the spec.

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to :
Hi all,

I need one, or possibly two, variacs. I've got a couple but they're
open-frame and I'm fed up of having to put them in an enclosure and
switch off the power to adjust them.

Huh? Switch off the power to adjust them? What are you doing,
adjusting by gripping and rotating the brush carrier? Any one you find
should accept an insulated shaft (if genuine General Radio Variac), or
with a built-in metal shaft (with other brands, which are called
Powerstat or other similar names. "Variac" is not truly a generic term,
but rather a brand name. I don't know what happened to General Radio
who made them, but that is who used to make them.

Anyway -- the shaft comes out through the panel, and you can
handle it with power on or off. the GR ones were insulated with a steel
core, the brush holder is insulated from the shaft with the Powerstat
and other models. Each company had their own private knob design. I
really liked the GR knobs -- on lots of things, not just the Variacs.

Plus I'm planning to build them
into a power supply and I'd like another for experiments. I'm looking
for an enclosed, bench variac in a 240 V / 10 A rating or higher. I
also might need a 415 V / 10 A variac in the future, but this could be
open-frame, and I might consider a faulty three phase unit. Let me know
if you have anything available, or know of any good sources of surplus.

If I had a 10A 240V one, I would be building into something else
on my own. Besides -- the shipping would be a kiler from here.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Christopher Tidy

Quite right, Mark. The brushes and track are exposed on the top. They
will accept a shaft, which doesn't need to be insulating as the collars
are lined with thick bakelite, but they need an enclosure as well as a
knob and shaft. I've put them inside a powder-coated electrical box for
now, and only adjust them when the power is switched off, but this is a
nuisance. And as I said, I had my eye on these two for building into a
power supply...

Best wishes,

Chris

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mark Rand :
On Thu, 26 Jan 2006 05:50:05 +0000, (DoN. Nichols) wrote:

Huh? Switch off the power to adjust them? What are you doing,
adjusting by gripping and rotating the brush carrier? Any one you find
should accept an insulated shaft (if genuine General Radio Variac), or
with a built-in metal shaft (with other brands, which are called
Powerstat or other similar names. "Variac" is not truly a generic term,
but rather a brand name. I don't know what happened to General Radio
who made them, but that is who used to make them.

snip

I suspect that Christopher's ones have come out of a panel at some time and
don't have any enclosure at all!

They may *never* have been in an enclosure. I've got at least
one 5A Variac in a fitted foam pack from General Radio. But -- it
includes the shaft, the knob, and the dial plate for mounting when you
put it in whatever you intend to use it with.

If you want it to be a benchtop one, you extend the shaft out
the other side, mount it with the mounting face down, and put a fitted
enclosure over it. (An alternative is to put it in a rectangular
housing, with the knob facing out one of the large sides, and with an
outlet and power cord coming out of other surfaces, along with an on/off
switch, and (perhaps) a voltmeter.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |