Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TheAndroid

Default Why is a cats head call a cats head?

I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Robert Swinney

Maybe because the bolts stick out like cat's whiskers.

Bob Swinney
"TheAndroid" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave Hinz

On 13 Jan 2006 07:27:23 -0800, TheAndroid wrote:
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

I know what a "cat's paw" is, but "cat's head" doesn't ring a bell.
What's it used for?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
TheAndroid

It's a collar with three or four screws with locknuts perpendicular and
pointing in. The screws are used to hold and center odd shaped work
(like rectangular) pieces for use with the steady rest. The collar
rotates in the steady and the item turns with it.

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
gfulton

"TheAndroid" wrote in message
oups.com...
It's a collar with three or four screws with locknuts perpendicular and
pointing in. The screws are used to hold and center odd shaped work
(like rectangular) pieces for use with the steady rest. The collar
rotates in the steady and the item turns with it.

Andy

Good explanation. I didn't know what it was either. "Cathead biscuits" is
as close as I could come.

Garrett Fulton

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DanG

Different trades, different backgrounds!!!

Cathead, in my experience, is a smooth power driven drum used in
winching. here's one:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/oilandgas/illustrated_glossary/cathead.html

Went to look for one to show you and came up with this from
answers.com:
A beam projecting outward from the bow of a ship and used as a
support to lift the anchor.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"TheAndroid" wrote in message
oups.com...
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Errol Groff

wrote:

I know what one is, I just don't know why it is called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Beacuse it is attached to a cat?

Errol Groff

Instructor, Manufacturing Technology
H.H. Ellis Technical High School
613 Upper Maple Street
Danielson, CT 06239

New England Model Engineering Society
www.neme-s.org
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jk

Errol Groff wrote:

Andy

Beacuse it is attached to a cat?

By that definition, my cats each have 6 heads

jk
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 14 Jan 2006 14:06:35 -0800, jk wrote:
Errol Groff wrote:

Beacuse it is attached to a cat?

By that definition, my cats each have 6 heads

I should think the males would have 8 or 9, depending on how you
choose to count the bits... ;-P

-- Bruce --

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner

Errol Groff wrote:

Beacuse it is attached to a cat?

By that definition, my cats each have 6 heads

I should think the males would have 8 or 9, depending on how you
choose to count the bits... ;-P

-- Bruce --

ROFLMAO!

The aim of untold millions is to be free to do exactly as they choose
and for someone else to pay when things go wrong.

In the past few decades, a peculiar and distinctive psychology
has emerged in England. Gone are the civility, sturdy independence,
and admirable stoicism that carried the English through the war years
.. It has been replaced by a constant whine of excuses, complaints,
and special pleading. The collapse of the British character has been
as swift and complete as the collapse of British power.

Theodore Dalrymple,

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

that's what I thought of as well, Dan.

Tom

"DanG" wrote in message
Different trades, different backgrounds!!!

Cathead, in my experience, is a smooth power
driven drum used in winching. here's one:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/oilandgas/illustrated_glossary/cathead.html

Went to look for one to show you and came up
with this from answers.com:
A beam projecting outward from the bow of a ship
and used as a support to lift the anchor.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"TheAndroid" wrote in
message
oups.com...
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is
called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom

"DanG" wrote in message
Different trades, different backgrounds!!!

Cathead, in my experience, is a smooth power
driven drum used in winching. here's one:
http://www.osha.gov/SLTC/etools/oilandgas/illustrated_glossary/cathead.html

Went to look for one to show you and came up
with this from answers.com:
A beam projecting outward from the bow of a ship
and used as a support to lift the anchor.

(top posted for your convenience)
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Keep the whole world singing . . . .
DanG (remove the sevens)

"TheAndroid" wrote in
message
oups.com...
I know what one is, I just don't know why it is
called that. Idle
questions on an idle day.....

Andy

However, from the OED:
a. A small capstan (Simmonds Dict. Trade 1858).
b. A broad-bully hammer (Raymond Mining Gloss.).
c. An attachment to a lathe to assist in supporting long bars when they
are being turned' (Cent. Dict. Suppl. 1909).
1940 Chambers's Techn. Dict. 141/2 Cathead or spider, a lathe accessory
consisting of a turned sleeve.

So perhaps, as resembling "a small capstan" the lathe attachment
became so named..

Tom