mike

Default mini timesaver sander?

I have a new machine shop doing small amounts of sheet metal work.
After cutting out the 1/8" aluminum parts I need the surfaces to go
through a timesaver sander. However, I can't afford this machine
right now so I am looking for a smaller version of this machine. Is
there any machine out there that works just like a timesaver, but has
only a 10 to 12 inch belt sander? I would love to fine a sander that
is similar to the benchtop planars that you can find at Home Depot.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.
DLGlos

On 2 Jan 2004 05:30:15 -0800, (mike) wrote:

I have a new machine shop doing small amounts of sheet metal work.
After cutting out the 1/8" aluminum parts I need the surfaces to go
through a timesaver sander. However, I can't afford this machine
right now so I am looking for a smaller version of this machine. Is
there any machine out there that works just like a timesaver, but has
only a 10 to 12 inch belt sander? I would love to fine a sander that
is similar to the benchtop planars that you can find at Home Depot.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Performax is one of the names to look for in smaller machines. Delta I
think also markets a small one. Should be able to gander them through
the Amazon tool site. Both of these guys are roll machines, and the
roll is only supported on one side; the thinking being one can sand
something almost twice as wide as the roll, if two passes are made.

I thought these things were primarily for wood. I don't know how well
they would work with metal. Even with light cuts, I would be worried
about heat buildup. I have belt sanded aluminum before, and it is
easy, especially with a worn belt, to get the piece smoking hot. I
could just see such a piece melting right through the rubberized
infeed mat.

If you are looking for a decorative brushed finish, I thought the
current thinking was non-woven, abrasive pads, like 3M's scotchbrite
products. For small parts I have made for laboratory fixtures, I have
used purple scotchbrite pads, both by hand and clamped in a
Porter-Cable 1/4 pad sander. The pattern is more frosted, as opposed
to linear, when used with the palm sander. Of course, you could also
mount a pad on a drywall sanding handle.

For a more pronounced texture, 3M markets a grill cleaning tool that
is basically a very coarse scotchbrite glued to a plastic handle.

Either way, less than ten bucks could get you going.

If you think the Timesaver sander is going to be the thing, you might
try contacting a local production wooddorking shop. I paid my one of
my local shops $30 to sand an old door I came up with. With metal, it
might be prudent to ask if you can be the last job through just before
they change the belt. Generally, if you are asking a guy to run an
'unknown' the cost of a torn belt falls in your lap. They aren't
cheap.

Hope I have been of some help.

David Glos
Roy J

There is a table top drum sander made by Ryobi (????) that sells
for the $400 to $500 range. Performax has one at $800 with 16"
drum and power feed. Grizzly has floor models for $750, $1200 &
$1500 depending on size.

mike wrote:
I have a new machine shop doing small amounts of sheet metal work.
After cutting out the 1/8" aluminum parts I need the surfaces to go
through a timesaver sander. However, I can't afford this machine
right now so I am looking for a smaller version of this machine. Is
there any machine out there that works just like a timesaver, but has
only a 10 to 12 inch belt sander? I would love to fine a sander that
is similar to the benchtop planars that you can find at Home Depot.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Brian Lawson

Hey Mike,

Sorry, but I don't know what a "timesaver sander" is. Is it what I
might call a stroke-sander, where you lay the work on a flat surface,
bring an open pulley sanding belt down to just above it, then do the
sanding by applying pressure to the belt onto the portion of the work
you want sanded?

Take care.

Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
large On 2 Jan 2004 05:30:15 -0800, (mike)
wrote:

I have a new machine shop doing small amounts of sheet metal work.
After cutting out the 1/8" aluminum parts I need the surfaces to go
through a timesaver sander. However, I can't afford this machine
right now so I am looking for a smaller version of this machine. Is
there any machine out there that works just like a timesaver, but has
only a 10 to 12 inch belt sander? I would love to fine a sander that
is similar to the benchtop planars that you can find at Home Depot.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Wild Bill

I worked on a machine years ago that was referred to as a graining machine,
which was similar to what you described. It was used to put a directional
finish on metal machine parts.
It was fairly large, and a padded paddle was used to press and hold the belt
down on the workpiece, in a fashion similar to ironing clothes.

The table was on bearings and as the belt traveled over the workpiece, the
table could also be moved perpendicular to the belt travel.

It did a great job of providing very nice finishes on large parts.

WB

"Brian Lawson" wrote in message
Hey Mike,

Sorry, but I don't know what a "timesaver sander" is. Is it what I
might call a stroke-sander, where you lay the work on a flat surface,
bring an open pulley sanding belt down to just above it, then do the
sanding by applying pressure to the belt onto the portion of the work
you want sanded?

Take care.

Happy New Year.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Roy J

A big belt sander used to sand large wood panels eg cabinet door.
Any good cabinet shop will have at least one.
http://www.atlanticequipment.com/183.html

wrote:

I have a new machine shop doing small amounts of sheet metal work.
After cutting out the 1/8" aluminum parts I need the surfaces to go
through a timesaver sander. However, I can't afford this machine
right now so I am looking for a smaller version of this machine. Is
there any machine out there that works just like a timesaver, but has
only a 10 to 12 inch belt sander? I would love to fine a sander that
is similar to the benchtop planars that you can find at Home Depot.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Leigh Knudson

"Wild Bill" wrote in message ...
I worked on a machine years ago that was referred to as a graining machine,
which was similar to what you described. It was used to put a directional
finish on metal machine parts.
It was fairly large, and a padded paddle was used to press and hold the belt
down on the workpiece, in a fashion similar to ironing clothes.

XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

Timesaver has manufactured both a 9" x 48 and 12"x 48" machne in the
past. I have a 9" machine right now and think the design sucks but
used ones are available. Leigh@MarMachine