Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Eric R Snow

Default Soldering nipple ends on cable (light duty).

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:33:22 -0800, Derek wrote:

Are there any simple/cheap ways to solder or crimp ends onto light
duty (say bicycle derailers) cable?

obviously I wouldn't use home made cables on brakes and the like.

Thanks,
Derek.

Go to a good bicycle shop. They sell the crimp on ends. At least the
one I go to does.
ERS
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne

Derek,

This will get you to a thread where this was discussed before.

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.c...8 d257c9f6228

Wayne D.

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:33:22 -0800, Derek wrote:

Are there any simple/cheap ways to solder or crimp ends onto light
duty (say bicycle derailers) cable?

obviously I wouldn't use home made cables on brakes and the like.

Thanks,
Derek.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:33:22 -0800, Derek wrote:

Are there any simple/cheap ways to solder or crimp ends onto light
duty (say bicycle derailers) cable?

obviously I wouldn't use home made cables on brakes and the like.

Thanks,
Derek.

Don't solder them! The simplest and cheapest way is to take them to
a bike shop or a sailboat store and have them crimp ends on them.
You can buy a crimper if you plan to do a lot of it. There are
inexpensive crimpers that work with a vise or hammer. I made mine.

No reason not to use homemade cables on brakes. I did on the mast
stays for a small sailboat -- lots more tension there than on a bike
brake cable!

Dont use makeshift lead ferrules. Lead is too soft to hold. Use
the zinc-plated copper ones that are readily available.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jim rozen

In article , Don Foreman says...

Dont use makeshift lead ferrules. Lead is too soft to hold. Use
the zinc-plated copper ones that are readily available.

While I have to agree that the simple expedient of getting ends
crimped on at a local bike shop is absolutely the best approach,
and exactly the one I would recommend, I have to relate this
story:

My first foray into the world of mechanics and wrenching happened
when I was in middle school. I picked up a huge pile of three
speed bicycle parts (frames, wheels, all kinds of parts) from
a house near my home during one local junk pick-up day.

I assembled my first rideable bicycle from that stuff, and learned
a lot. I had a lot of time and not much money, so I mostly made
do with what I had.

For some reason, I didn't have a shifter cable the correct length,
but I did have one that was for some reason way too long. I cut
off the end, and not knowing any better, made a new one.

I cleaned the oil and grease off the cable, and wrapped it with a
single turn of solid copper wire of the correct diameter to form
a cylinder on the surface of the cable. After fluxing the assembly
with plumbers paste flux I simply flowed soft solder into the
coil to form a solid end to the cable.

Fast forward to recent times when I was overhauling that bike which
has been used for many years. I was a bit dumbfounded to see my
initial handiwork which provided faithful service all those years.

Like Don says, it shouldn't really hold. But oddly it did.

And those SA cables do get some serious tension on them when you try
to shift at the wrong time.

Jim

please reply to:

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike

Take a piece of metal....the size of the end you need cross drill it,
chamfer one side if the hole. Slip your cable through fray it out a
little bit and then solder it.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 19:26:03 GMT, Mike wrote:

Take a piece of metal....the size of the end you need cross drill it,
chamfer one side if the hole. Slip your cable through fray it out a
little bit and then solder it.

A field-expedient I've used on the throttle cable for a riding mower:

Take a piece of brass rod, cut a slot in it, lay the cable in the slot
and beat the hell out of the rod with a hammer. Not pretty, but it
works.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jordan

For soldering nipples,

http://www.flanderscables.com/

sells tools, including an electric dip solderer.

I'm told an iron end cap from the plumbers' supplies shop, heated with
fire can do the same job.
Not tried it myself - I'm still using the soldering iron.

Jordan

Derek wrote:
Are there any simple/cheap ways to solder or crimp ends onto light
duty (say bicycle derailers) cable?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 10:33:22 -0800, Derek wrote:

Are there any simple/cheap ways to solder or crimp ends onto light
duty (say bicycle derailers) cable?

No. Buy a new cable and it comes with nipples already attached. It's
the simplest way of obtaining the right cables anyway!

The genuine nipples are lead, cast in place on the cable. They're just
not supplied loose, even to bike shops. I can't imagine any way of
making your own or attaching such nipples that is a real saving over
buying cables with them attached - just buy the cables ready made!

If you're rigging a tandem etc., then you _might_ need to attach your
own nipples. A bit of turned brass and a spot of silver solder is easy
enough - I do plenty of this for shelving and it's a tiresome job though
- if you can buy them, then buy them!

To tidy up the cut ends of cables at the mech end (the nipple goes in
the hand control, the mech is just a screw clamp) then it's usual to
crimp a tiny aluminium cap onto the end. This is just decorative and to
stop fraying, not as a structural part. These caps are hard to buy
(cheap, but you need to buy a gazillion) but a good bike shop will
usually give customers a couple. Alternatively (as I do) use electrical
botlace ferrules. These are just crimped on with any old electrical
crimp tool - mine was originally for doing the centre conductor in coax.

NB - brake and gear cable outers are different and are NOT
interchangeable. It's also worth paying the considerable extra for good
quality gear cables, even the Ride-on megabuck sort, if you live
anywhere either mudy or dusty.

http://sheldonbrown.com is always worth a read on bike fixing.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Derek

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.

I like the brass & solder idea, and since I have a small lathe it
should be easy to turn & drill it.

As far as replacing the cable with a new one, it's not practicle, it's
for an old Yamaha DT250 (1975) where the gas cable splits into two,
one for the carb & one for the oil injector (Autolube). The unit comes
as a whole assy. probably around $100 if available. There is very
little load on both cables.

Thanks again & Best Wishes for '06.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jtaylor

"Derek" wrote in message

Thanks to all who replied, much appreciated.

I like the brass & solder idea, and since I have a small lathe it
should be easy to turn & drill it.

As far as replacing the cable with a new one, it's not practicle, it's
for an old Yamaha DT250 (1975) where the gas cable splits into two,
one for the carb & one for the oil injector (Autolube). The unit comes
as a whole assy. probably around $100 if available. There is very
little load on both cables.

If you can get the right ends on _some_ sort of cable, you might be able to
crimp together something that would duplicate the original. You may find
the right size crimps at a climbing supply place - they use them for making
chocks or nuts or whatever they call those gizmos they put in rock cracks
and hang from.

You don't want to find out 200 miles later that the oil cable slipped the
fitting...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Derek

If you can get the right ends on _some_ sort of cable, you might be able to
crimp together something that would duplicate the original. You may find
the right size crimps at a climbing supply place - they use them for making
chocks or nuts or whatever they call those gizmos they put in rock cracks
and hang from.

You don't want to find out 200 miles later that the oil cable slipped the
fitting...

Thanks for the tip.
I'll see what I can find..

Cheers.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Tom Miller

"Derek" wrote in message

If you can get the right ends on _some_ sort of
cable, you might be able to
crimp together something that would duplicate
the original. You may find
the right size crimps at a climbing supply
place - they use them for making
chocks or nuts or whatever they call those
gizmos they put in rock cracks
and hang from.

You don't want to find out 200 miles later that
the oil cable slipped the
fitting...

Thanks for the tip.
I'll see what I can find..

Yachting supply places sell a lot of cable gear.