DIYbanter

DIYbanter (https://www.diybanter.com/)
-   -   Harbor Freight does it again... (https://www.diybanter.com/metalworking/137493-harbor-freight-does-again.html)

Pete C. December 28th 05 11:03 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

I stopped by HF today while I was in the area. Had yet another 20% email
coupon with me. Picked up a 20T air/hydraulic jack which was on sale
already, for a total of about $56 with the coupon. The jack is now
installed in my H press and it is indeed a great upgrade as someone here
had noted in the past.

Pete C.

Bob Engelhardt December 28th 05 11:48 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

Pete C. wrote:
... a 20T air/hydraulic jack ...

Does the expansion speed depend upon the load? I.e., does the jack
extend/raise faster when there's no load and then slow as the load
increases? Or is the speed constant? Bob

Pete C. December 29th 05 12:33 AM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
... a 20T air/hydraulic jack ...

Does the expansion speed depend upon the load? I.e., does the jack
extend/raise faster when there's no load and then slow as the load
increases? Or is the speed constant? Bob

I've only had the thing for a few hours now, but it appears to be pretty
constant up until you approach maximum force. The air motor (piston)
just keeps cycling and pumping fluid just as you would with the handle.
When you reach maximum force the last few cycles slow until it stops at
the point that the hydraulic pressure on the small pump piston balances
with the air pressure on the large air piston.

Pete C.

Grant Erwin December 29th 05 01:02 AM

Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

... a 20T air/hydraulic jack ...

Does the expansion speed depend upon the load? I.e., does the jack
extend/raise faster when there's no load and then slow as the load
increases? Or is the speed constant? Bob

They slow as the load increases, or as the pressure of the shop air drops as the
jack draws it down.

I have one of these also in my 20T hoist, they are just great. You don't have to
use the air function if you don't want to, you can however use it to get real
close to where you want to be and then pump by hand very slowly if needed.
Sometimes you want a big overwhelming push, like when you're pressing an axle
out of a wheel hub, and sometimes you want a slow ultracontrolled push like when
you're pressing in a bearing.

GWE

Rex B December 29th 05 02:51 PM

Pete C. wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

... a 20T air/hydraulic jack ...

Does the expansion speed depend upon the load? I.e., does the jack
extend/raise faster when there's no load and then slow as the load
increases? Or is the speed constant? Bob

I've only had the thing for a few hours now, but it appears to be pretty
constant up until you approach maximum force. The air motor (piston)
just keeps cycling and pumping fluid just as you would with the handle.
When you reach maximum force the last few cycles slow until it stops at
the point that the hydraulic pressure on the small pump piston balances
with the air pressure on the large air piston.

Sounds like a good way to break something expensive G

Pete C. December 29th 05 03:51 PM

Rex B wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Bob Engelhardt wrote:

Pete C. wrote:

... a 20T air/hydraulic jack ...

Does the expansion speed depend upon the load? I.e., does the jack
extend/raise faster when there's no load and then slow as the load
increases? Or is the speed constant? Bob

I've only had the thing for a few hours now, but it appears to be pretty
constant up until you approach maximum force. The air motor (piston)
just keeps cycling and pumping fluid just as you would with the handle.
When you reach maximum force the last few cycles slow until it stops at
the point that the hydraulic pressure on the small pump piston balances
with the air pressure on the large air piston.

Sounds like a good way to break something expensive G

Of course, what else would you do with a 20T press?

Pete C.

Pete C. December 29th 05 03:55 PM

Rich Goldner wrote:

Can you give us that 20% off email coupon?

No, but you can readily sign-up for them at http://www.harborfreight.com

You'll get one or two coupons a week, in a rotation that includes 20%
off on a single item and 10% off on your entire order along with a few
other variants. The coupons are all for the retail stores though so if
you don't have one within reach they aren't real useful.

If you do have a retail store nearby, between the coupon, current sales
and no shipping expense they are some fantastic deals. In theory you
could get one of the big $3k lathes when it's on sale for a few hundred
off and then use the 20% on top of that to save a bundle.

Pete C.

BillP December 29th 05 04:39 PM

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Goldner wrote:

Can you give us that 20% off email coupon?

No, but you can readily sign-up for them at http://www.harborfreight.com

Pete, which link does one use...
there are so many and there are no specific references to the coupons at
all....
TIA Bill

Pete C. December 29th 05 04:45 PM

BillP wrote:

Pete C. wrote:
Rich Goldner wrote:

Can you give us that 20% off email coupon?

No, but you can readily sign-up for them at http://www.harborfreight.com

Pete, which link does one use...
there are so many and there are no specific references to the coupons at
all....
TIA Bill

The "free retail flyer" link should do the job.

Pete C.

Spehro Pefhany December 29th 05 04:51 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On Thu, 29 Dec 2005 15:55:45 GMT, the renowned "Pete C."
wrote:

Rich Goldner wrote:

Can you give us that 20% off email coupon?

No, but you can readily sign-up for them at http://www.harborfreight.com

You'll get one or two coupons a week, in a rotation that includes 20%
off on a single item and 10% off on your entire order along with a few
other variants. The coupons are all for the retail stores though so if
you don't have one within reach they aren't real useful.

If you do have a retail store nearby, between the coupon, current sales
and no shipping expense they are some fantastic deals. In theory you
could get one of the big $3k lathes when it's on sale for a few hundred
off and then use the 20% on top of that to save a bundle.

Pete C.

The coupon says on it "Cannot be used with any other Discount or
Coupons", but then it goes on to say that it applies to sales prices.
??

Is the HF in Amherst NY any good?

Best regards,
Spehro Pefhany

Siggy December 29th 05 11:02 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

I think you want to sign up either in one of the retail stores or online at
http://www.harborfreightUSA.com (Note the USA tacked on the end of the URL).
I never got the 20% coupons until I signed up at this link. HF actually is
two separate operations (for nexus reasons): retail store sales and
internet sales. The 20% off coupons are for the retail stores only.

Also, I noticed earlier in this or a similar thread that someone posted a
pdf of their coupon on another group somewhere. It's interesting to note
that the coupons are bar coded and also contain your *unique customer
number*. My guess is that if your coupon starts being used all over the
world your name may get punted off of their email lists. In fact, I'm not
sure how sophisticated their POS registers are but if they are in real time
communication with the home office they may be able to disqualify the coupon
on the spot in real time if it has been previously used. Bottom line is it
may be wise to use some discretion in sharing or using a shared coupon.

Robert

Rex B December 30th 05 02:31 PM

Siggy wrote:
[...]

On the other hand, the customer to whom all those sales are attributed
may well become a VIP customer.

spaco December 30th 05 05:24 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

I think these are just great, too.

We just saw that $69.95 sale price yesterday, too. A real bargain!

Instead of having to put the jack handle up to the release valve, I made
up a knob to go onto the valve stub. It is 1 1/2" in diameter and
knurled.
Then I added a 1" diameter air cylinder to that knob, moved the
jack's air valve to the floor along with another air valve for the
release knob. Works like a champ. Even works well as a hydraulic
forging press to weld damascus billets.

Next thing is to add a pressure gage.

Pete Stanaitis

Leon Fisk December 30th 05 07:30 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 17:28:35 GMT, Ignoramus24987
wrote:

Guys, what item number are you talking about?

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 11:24:48 -0600, spaco wrote:
I think these are just great, too.

We just saw that $69.95 sale price yesterday, too. A real bargain!

snip

Hi Iggy,

I think this is the jack:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...emnumber=41487

and it is on this sale page:

http://www.harborfreightusa.com/usa/...=RET&si mple=

Sale runs through 01/16/2006 at the retail stores.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b

Larry Jaques December 30th 05 09:54 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 08:31:14 -0600, with neither quill nor qualm, Rex
B quickly quoth:

Siggy wrote:
I think you want to sign up either in one of the retail stores or online at
http://www.harborfreightUSA.com (Note the USA tacked on the end of the URL).
I never got the 20% coupons until I signed up at this link. HF actually is
two separate operations (for nexus reasons): retail store sales and
internet sales. The 20% off coupons are for the retail stores only.

Also, I noticed earlier in this or a similar thread that someone posted a
pdf of their coupon on another group somewhere. It's interesting to note
that the coupons are bar coded and also contain your *unique customer
number*. My guess is that if your coupon starts being used all over the
world your name may get punted off of their email lists. In fact, I'm not

On the other hand, the customer to whom all those sales are attributed
may well become a VIP customer.

I noticed a "20% off any one item" coupon in their flyer today, so I
doubt there will be any negative feedback on the use of the guy's
number. I'll be using those from now on for the larger purchases.
Wait for sale, print coupon, use for whatever you need at half price.
Woiks for me.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.
- http://diversify.com Website Application Programming -

tony stramella December 30th 05 11:50 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

I don't think H.F.sells anything but cheap,made in china crap.

Grant Erwin December 31st 05 12:52 AM

tony stramella wrote:

I don't think H.F.sells anything but cheap,made in china crap.

I have found that some of their stuff is quite usable, Tony. I choose to use
makers like Starrett or Browne & Sharp for precision measuring equipment, and I
choose old US manual machine tools over new Chinese, but I really love the set
of 5 ball peen hammers I got at HF for six bucks, for example, and I got a whole
bunch of extension cords for my son's music studio quite cheaply too. I got a
great little cart for a 5 gallon propane bottle, which has holders for a weed
burning torch and works really great, think that one was about $11. I also buy
inexpensive Pittsburgh Professional wrench sets when I see them on sale at the
stores, the PP ones made in Taiwan are highly polished, comfortable, and are
quality wrenches. I only keep their metric wrenches, I use S-K for the inch sizes.

It's a question of money, really. I have 2 kids in college and I gave up my
engineering income 2½ years ago so I have to make my shop budget stretch.

GWE

Pete C. December 31st 05 01:55 AM

tony stramella wrote:

I don't think H.F.sells anything but cheap,made in china crap.

Then you haven't looked recently. The quality of the stuff from China
has been steadily increasing. A few examples:

The little 4 1/2" H/V metal cutting band saw, on sale with discounts for
about $135, runs beautifully. Add a $15 USA blade and it tears through
steel tube with no complaints. The motor looks chintzy, but seems to
have adequate oomph, and nearly all the bearing on the made in Taiwan
saw are made in Japan. It even looks like they gave it a test run at the
factory. Even the blade it came with isn't terrible, just not as good as
the USA one.

The digital calipers regularly on sale for about $17 for the 6" and $35
for the 12" are quite a steal. The quality is far in excess of what
you'd expect. The SS frame is well machines, ground and deburred. The
plastic display housing is well molded. It comes with a well made
plastic case with die cut foam liner. Even the "made in China" is laser
etched on the stain less.

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

The latest 20T air/hydraulic jack for $56 vs. the ~$250 of all the
competitors who also are selling made in China units is a great deal.
The quality is as good as anything out there except for Enerpak, but
their version is probably $750.

The little triangular welding magnets are regularly on sale for $1.99
and are as good as any others except for the one brand that is
switchable, but those aren't even close to $1.99 ea.

A small $30 kit with a 3/8" air ratchet and 1/2" impact wrench are quite
servicable and were able to spin off rusty fasteners without any
problem.

It's not all made in China stuff either, they also have made in USA
stuff along with things from a few other countries. It is ideal to shop
at the retail stores of course so you are able to individually assess
each item.

Pete C.

Gunner Asch December 31st 05 03:24 AM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 18:50:06 -0500, (tony
stramella) wrote:

I don't think H.F.sells anything but cheap,made in china crap.

Well..you got the "I dont think" part correct.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

tony stramella December 31st 05 01:00 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

I am a person who relies on his tools to make a living.If I had to use
H.F. tools on a daily basis I would be replacing them on a regular basis
do to breakage and premature wear.You get what you pay for.

John P. December 31st 05 02:58 PM

wrote:

I think these are just great, too.

We just saw that $69.95 sale price yesterday, too. A real bargain!

Instead of having to put the jack handle up to the release valve, I made
up a knob to go onto the valve stub. It is 1 1/2" in diameter and
knurled.
Then I added a 1" diameter air cylinder to that knob, moved the
jack's air valve to the floor along with another air valve for the
release knob. Works like a champ. Even works well as a hydraulic
forging press to weld damascus billets.

Next thing is to add a pressure gage.

Pete Stanaitis

Pete,

Would you mind sharing some photos of your machine? I am very
interested in building / acquiring a forging press to make Damascus,
and seeing how you did it would be a big help.

Thanks,

John P.

Pete C. December 31st 05 03:33 PM

tony stramella wrote:

I am a person who relies on his tools to make a living.If I had to use
H.F. tools on a daily basis I would be replacing them on a regular basis
do to breakage and premature wear.You get what you pay for.

Many of us rely on our tools on a weekend basis for our hobbies and have
no need to spend 5x the price on tools that will outlast our
grandchildren. I wouldn't use a lot of the HF tools for commercial use,
but many are an excellent value for heavy weekend use and will last for
many years under those conditions.

Pete C.

spaco December 31st 05 08:16 PM

Harbor Freight does it again Press Pix...

I just put up a simple page with 3 pix on it. www.spaco.org/Press.htm

Pete Stanaitis
---------------

Emmo December 31st 05 08:42 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

if it was

Emmo December 31st 05 08:43 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

If it wasn't for HF tools, I wouldn't have no tools at all...

Larry Jaques January 1st 06 01:52 AM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On Sat, 31 Dec 2005 20:43:24 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Emmo"
quickly quoth:

If it wasn't for HF tools, I wouldn't have no tools at all...

singing Born under a Chi Sign./offkey

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online

[email protected] January 6th 06 05:23 AM

Harbor Freight does it again...

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I guess that accuracy, XYZ travel length, and ridgidity are all
important, but you can only get so much in such a small machine. But
any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

Larry Jaques January 6th 06 02:10 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

I wrote this to Roy last month:

--snip--
How did you get the 20% off coupon?

On their funky, priceless promo sote, Roy. Sign up for free email ads
at
www.harborfreightusa.com .

Top right link says:

FREE
Receive: discounts,
coupons, specials
Click Here

They send one of two ads every day or two, either:

$5 off any $50 purchase/$10 off any $100+ purchase
or
20% off any single item (including sale prices)
--snip--

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I'd like to find a mini-mill and mini-lathe used (read CHEAP) but
haven't yet been successful in several years of keeping my eyes and
ears open.

California's 4 Seasons: Fire, Flood, Drought, & Earthquake
--------------------------------------
http://www.diversify.com NoteSHADES(tm) privacy/glare guards

Rex B January 6th 06 03:19 PM

wrote:
The Seig X2 mini mill (HF item 44991) is a remarkable well made little
machine (I just CNC'd one), certainly no Bridgeport, but a solid little
machine with a convenient R8 spindle. I got this for $359 between a sale
and a 20% coupon, regular $500.

Can anyone give me he specifics on what this 20% e-mail is all about. I
get e-mails from Harbor Freight all the time but nothing like that.

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I guess that accuracy, XYZ travel length, and ridgidity are all
important, but you can only get so much in such a small machine. But
any advice would be appreciated.

The minimill is probably the best bang for the buck if it fits your work
envelope. Buy new on a deal like the above. I have yet to see one used
at a better deal. R8 collets, endmill set, and maybe an indexable
endmill adds less than $100.

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?

[email protected] January 7th 06 01:50 PM

Rex B wrote:
wrote:
[...]

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

Next step up is the round-column mill-drill. Bigger work envelope,
round-column issues as beaten to death here and elsewhere. But otherwise
a workhorse. About $600 on sale, maybe less combine with a HF coupon.

Too heavy for me.

Next would be the Seig X3. About the same work envelope as a MD, but has
a dovetail column. Big brother to the minimill. $959 intro price at Grizzly.

Too heavy and too pricey for me.

Then you get to the benchtop knee-mills at about $1500 and up ?

Way too heavy and pricey for me.

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

John P. January 8th 06 04:05 AM

On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, wrote:

Also, concerning a Mini-mill, I'll need to make some small parts, and
I'm well aware that a mini-mill wouldn't be an adequate machine for
many here, but since I'm a newbie with very little space, and need to
begin somewhere, I was hoping to get reocommendations on what to keep
my eyes open for.(New or used).

I purchased the Harbor Freight Mini Mill about 6 months ago for
$449.00. 29 days into it, and on my 2nd use, the drive belt snapped.
Luckily it hadn't been 30 days yet, so I took it back to HF and
swapped it for another... this time purchasing the 3 year warranty!
:-)

I've used it quite a lot and think that for the money it is one of the
best equipment purchases I've ever made. I use mine for making custom
handles, guards and bolsters for hand forged knives. (You can see an
example he
http://pozadzides.com/john/) I've also found a few
other interesting little projects here and there.

So, I'd find one of those HF coupons... wait till it's on sale for
$449.00... then snag one and get the extended warranty - just in case!

Take care,

John P.

Larry Jaques January 8th 06 12:47 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

--
"Not always right, but never uncertain." --Heinlein
-=-=-

rashid111 January 8th 06 02:31 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

What most folx don't know is that in last month there's been a radical,
groundbreaking,
momentous development in what us hobby machinists can get here in US.

Drum rolllll ... Grizzly is now carrying Sieg X3 for something like
$900 http://www.grizzly.com/products/G0463

This IS the mill to get. I would, if I didn't have the X2 already.

This thing is just right size & power to fit between X2 and RF45
clones.

It is small enough to fit into any garage/basement, you can move it
around on the bench, you don't have to pay a team of 5 $1000 to get it
down
stairs etc etc.

What it lacks is track record and CNC plans. I am sure we will have CNC
taken care of shortly.

About belt snapping on HF's mini-mill: X2 is direct drive (gears,
mostly plastic).
I converted mine to belt drive and it's been wisper quiet ever since.

The X3 is drive-belt outta-box, a MUCH desired feature. Less noise, the
belt
will absorb load shocks and save the gears (if any). I am not sure if
X3 has
any gears at all, or it is a toothed pulley right on the spindle.

[email protected] January 8th 06 03:09 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

Thanks.

I aready read that page twice. I was just looking for opinions
concerning the slight differences betweeen those machines.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] January 8th 06 04:43 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

I am not a company, so that doesn't work.(Funny how they still send me
e-mails everyday on discounted stuff I don't need.

I've been looking at the mini-mills(or Mill/drills) that are all
supposed to come from the same factory in China, and noticed slight
differences the posted images/claims of these machines even though they
are supposed to be the same.

http://www.cumminstools.com/browse.cfm/4,1485.htm
http://www.ares-server.com/Ares/Ares...oduct&ID=82573

Can I get recommendations from anyone that has had experience with
these?

Thanks a lot.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

[email protected] January 8th 06 06:17 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
[...]

P.S: I made tree attempts to post thsi question in another thread(via
Google), but for some reason the posts are not showing up.

Darren Harris
Staten Island, New York.

DoN. Nichols January 8th 06 06:48 PM

Harbor Freight does it again...

According to John P. :
On 5 Jan 2006 21:23:03 -0800, wrote:

[ ... ]

I purchased the Harbor Freight Mini Mill about 6 months ago for
$449.00. 29 days into it, and on my 2nd use, the drive belt snapped.
Luckily it hadn't been 30 days yet, so I took it back to HF and
swapped it for another... this time purchasing the 3 year warranty!
:-)

Warranty? I consider a belt to be an expendable item. You
should simply always keep a spare on hand.

Good Luck,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
(too) near Washington D.C. |

[email protected] January 8th 06 07:00 PM

Larry Jaques wrote:
On 7 Jan 2006 05:50:13 -0800, with neither quill nor qualm,
quickly quoth:

But which particular mini mill would you recommend? 1) The Seig X2, 2)
the "Two Speed Variable Mini Mill/Drill Machine" from Harbor Frieght,
or 3) the "Microlux Milling Machine" from Micro-Mark? (If all three of
them aren't the same machine, which they look to be).

See this comparison for more info, Searcher.
http://www.mini-lathe.com/Mini_mill/...s/versions.htm
The $379 HF 42976 mill/drill has been discontinued.

I had already read that page twice, and though these are all supposed
to come from the same factory in China, I noticed slight differences in