Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
xmradio

Default repairing stripped threads with JB Weld

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Emmo writes:

Do I just force the epoxy mix into the hole and then jam the bolt in ?

(1) JB "Weld" is a phony name for what is just epoxy.

(2) Epoxy does not bond to oxidized aluminum.

(3) Have you considered a thread repair insert?

rethread the hole to a larger size, turn down the bolt dia, if needed...

xman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

I have stripped out the threads in a 1/4" bolt hole in an aluminum
transmission case. I can't get a drill in there to be able to use a
heli-coil type of insert, and I have decided to use JB Weld to repair this
as the bolt that goes into this stripped hole just locates a bracket which
is held on securely by another, larger bolt. I haven't used JB Weld before,
but I am confident this is an appropriate situation to try it...

I checked out the website where it tells me to clean with acetone, no
problem. My question is how to proceed from there, assuming that I want to
be able to remove and replace the bolt after it cures.

Do I just force the epoxy mix into the hole and then jam the bolt in ? Or
should I coat the bolt with oil so the JB Weld doesn't bond to it? I am
worried that if I don't do something, when I unbolt the bolt, it might pull
the whole wad of epoxy out instead of unscrewing.

Thanx for not telling me not to strip out bolt holes in aluminum, I already
know that this is a bad thing!

__
"All it took was all I had..."

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
badaztek

you really don't want to use jb weld for thread repairs ,jb weld is
great for repair work for patching holes and for holding some light
weight brackets on, but for making threads it wouldn't be the best since
the threads will actually fail it isn't designed for holding that kind
of pressure that threads apply or the bolt will never come out again
which isn't good either ,now to actually do the job right and look
professional you can either drop the tranny down enough to get a drill
in to install the helicoil or remove it completely and the last go buy a
right angle adaptor for your drill or a right angle air powered drill
this is angled at 90 degrees to fit in tight places and is a great
investment ,but another idea you could do is since you stripped out the
hole is take the next size tap and tap out the hole the go get a piece
of aluminum rod and drill out the center and tap it then cut it to
length to fit flush in the tranny and helicoil it and get a lil longer
bolt with the correct thread size and put a nut on the bolt and put it
in the rod and part way and tighten the nut against to lock it in place
now proceed to use a die and make threads to match the over size threads
of your tranny on the outside of the rod once the threads are done coat
the outside of the rod liberally with loctite and then using the bolt
thread it in the hole til snug and then let it sit for a few minutes
loosen the nut and remove the bolt and you just done a repair that will
probably out last the tranny itself ,if you get a higher grade of
aluminum then the cast aluminum case you may not even have to use a
helicoil at all in the threads ,just don't use stainless hardware in the
aluminum threads it will corrode it use the stock hardware
good luck

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Harold and Susan Vordos

"Emmo" wrote in message
news
[...]

I don't think you'll have any luck with that idea. The tensile strength of
the epoxy is far less than needed, even if you used a good release agent and
could get the bolt out afterwards. You wouldn't be able to tighten the
connection well enough to do any good without pulling the threads again.
You're sort of stuck. There's lots of things you can do to repair the
thread, but you'll have to have access to the hole with at least hand tools
to accomplish them.

Harold

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Andy Dingley

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:00:03 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

I have stripped out the threads in a 1/4" bolt hole in an aluminum
transmission case. I can't get a drill in there to be able to use a
heli-coil type of insert, and I have decided to use JB Weld

If you really care, get a drill in there (you might need to saw the car
in half to get to it).

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Nick Müller

Andy Dingley wrote:

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.

But I would do that with LockTite.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
EdFielder

Make yourself a self tapping stud- use a 5/16 self tapping metal bolt- cut
off the head and turn the end to 1/4" and thread it- double nut it and
thread the 5/16 portion into your block
"Emmo" wrote in message
news
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
EdFielder

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
Won't work, you're screwed!

Used to work fine in the 60's on VW head studs- they made a special stud
with a self tapping end so you could replace a pulled stud right alongside
the road.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
BEAR

Default repairing stripped threads with JB Weld - where's the bolt??

Nick Müller wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.

But I would do that with LockTite.

Nick

I'd go for an interference fit... hone the hole carefully and maybe use
a reamer to get it square... lathe a stud just *over* the hole size,
then heat the case, insert the stud, cool. Done.

but, a 1/4" bolt on a tranny? for what? The pan??

_-_-bear
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

I appreciate all of your responses, even though most of them were
discouraging... Terry mentioned that LockTite makes a thread restorer kit
that includes the release agent, so I think I will try to find that.

Otherwise, there is no way I am pulling the tranny, and I would probably
have to take Andy's suggestion of sawing the car in half to get the drill in
there, so worst case, I will either use a larger sized self-tapping
fastener, epoxy it in permanently, or wrap duct tape around it...

Thanx!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

but, a 1/4" bolt on a tranny? for what? The pan??

_-_-bear

This is a Mopar 46RH auto transmission. The gearshift cable bracket is held
in place with a 5/8" bolt through a cast-in ear, then has a long extension
to keep the bracket located and straight. This is where the 1/4" bolt goes.
A stud would work fine for this, as there is no real force on this end of
the bracket, so thanx to those who suggested it...

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leo Lichtman

"Emmo" wrote: (clip) Terry mentioned that LockTite makes a thread restorer
kit that includes the release agent, so I think I will try to find that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right! Loctite and Permatex both make thread repair kits, which include the
release agent. They will work fine in this application. Don't try to use
this on a head bolt or a bearing cap, but for non critical applications,
they're fine. Go to a bearing supply house.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jeff Wisnia

Emmo wrote:
but, a 1/4" bolt on a tranny? for what? The pan??

_-_-bear

This is a Mopar 46RH auto transmission. The gearshift cable bracket is held
in place with a 5/8" bolt through a cast-in ear, then has a long extension
to keep the bracket located and straight. This is where the 1/4" bolt goes.
A stud would work fine for this, as there is no real force on this end of
the bracket, so thanx to those who suggested it...

They beat me to it, but I was going to suggest taking a 1/4" stud,
bashing one end a little flat so it "swells" a bit at right angles to
the bashing so it's an interference fit in the aluminum, and then
tapping it into that violated hole with some JB Weld around it.

Follow by using an elastic stop nut which you won't have to tighten more
than snug to keep it in place, thus avoiding jacking the stud out. Or,
just put some JB Weld under the nut and do it finger tight, you can
always repeat the process if you ever need to get it off again.

Happy Holidays,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

Right! Loctite and Permatex both make thread repair kits, which include
the release agent. They will work fine in this application. Don't try to
use this on a head bolt or a bearing cap, but for non critical
applications, they're fine. Go to a bearing supply house.

I think Loctite and Permatex are the same now - in any case, I found the
thread repair kit at my local Oreilly's Auto Parts store, which I like to
patronize as they support drag racing...

Thanx!

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
clare at snyder.on.ca

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:33:58 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

"Emmo" wrote: (clip) Terry mentioned that LockTite makes a thread restorer
kit that includes the release agent, so I think I will try to find that.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Right! Loctite and Permatex both make thread repair kits, which include the
release agent. They will work fine in this application. Don't try to use
this on a head bolt or a bearing cap, but for non critical applications,
they're fine. Go to a bearing supply house.

Permatex and LocTite are the same company.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mark Rand

[...]

Use the Helicoil anyway. Don't drill the hole out, use the Helicoil tap with a
bit of WD40 on it and back out every turn or two. The tap will follow the
existing threads and if you are careful, won't snap.

Mark Rand
RTFM
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Emmo

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.

But I would do that with LockTite.

Not in a stripped hole - you'd need some gap filling too.

Well, as my son describes it, I 'Hardy-boyed' it by making a stud, gluing it
in with the JB Weld, and putting a nut on it. It is solid enough to hold
the end of the bracket in place, all the force is shear, so I expect it to
be just fine.

Thanx for all the help!