repairing stripped threads with JB Weld

Old December 24th 05, 04:30 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default repairing stripped threads with JB Weld

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
Emmo writes:

Do I just force the epoxy mix into the hole and then jam the bolt in ?

(1) JB "Weld" is a phony name for what is just epoxy.

(2) Epoxy does not bond to oxidized aluminum.

(3) Have you considered a thread repair insert?

rethread the hole to a larger size, turn down the bolt dia, if needed...

xman

Old December 24th 05, 06:00 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have stripped out the threads in a 1/4" bolt hole in an aluminum
transmission case. I can't get a drill in there to be able to use a
heli-coil type of insert, and I have decided to use JB Weld to repair this
as the bolt that goes into this stripped hole just locates a bracket which
is held on securely by another, larger bolt. I haven't used JB Weld before,
but I am confident this is an appropriate situation to try it...

I checked out the website where it tells me to clean with acetone, no
problem. My question is how to proceed from there, assuming that I want to
be able to remove and replace the bolt after it cures.

Do I just force the epoxy mix into the hole and then jam the bolt in ? Or
should I coat the bolt with oil so the JB Weld doesn't bond to it? I am
worried that if I don't do something, when I unbolt the bolt, it might pull
the whole wad of epoxy out instead of unscrewing.

Thanx for not telling me not to strip out bolt holes in aluminum, I already
know that this is a bad thing!

__
"All it took was all I had..."

Old December 24th 05, 07:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

you really don't want to use jb weld for thread repairs ,jb weld is
great for repair work for patching holes and for holding some light
weight brackets on, but for making threads it wouldn't be the best since
the threads will actually fail it isn't designed for holding that kind
of pressure that threads apply or the bolt will never come out again
which isn't good either ,now to actually do the job right and look
professional you can either drop the tranny down enough to get a drill
in to install the helicoil or remove it completely and the last go buy a
right angle adaptor for your drill or a right angle air powered drill
this is angled at 90 degrees to fit in tight places and is a great
investment ,but another idea you could do is since you stripped out the
hole is take the next size tap and tap out the hole the go get a piece
of aluminum rod and drill out the center and tap it then cut it to
length to fit flush in the tranny and helicoil it and get a lil longer
bolt with the correct thread size and put a nut on the bolt and put it
in the rod and part way and tighten the nut against to lock it in place
now proceed to use a die and make threads to match the over size threads
of your tranny on the outside of the rod once the threads are done coat
the outside of the rod liberally with loctite and then using the bolt
thread it in the hole til snug and then let it sit for a few minutes
loosen the nut and remove the bolt and you just done a repair that will
probably out last the tranny itself ,if you get a higher grade of
aluminum then the cast aluminum case you may not even have to use a
helicoil at all in the threads ,just don't use stainless hardware in the
aluminum threads it will corrode it use the stock hardware
good luck

Old December 24th 05, 09:02 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Emmo" wrote in message
news
[...]

I don't think you'll have any luck with that idea. The tensile strength of
the epoxy is far less than needed, even if you used a good release agent and
could get the bolt out afterwards. You wouldn't be able to tighten the
connection well enough to do any good without pulling the threads again.
You're sort of stuck. There's lots of things you can do to repair the
thread, but you'll have to have access to the hole with at least hand tools
to accomplish them.

Harold

Old December 24th 05, 10:22 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 06:00:03 GMT, "Emmo" wrote:

I have stripped out the threads in a 1/4" bolt hole in an aluminum
transmission case. I can't get a drill in there to be able to use a
heli-coil type of insert, and I have decided to use JB Weld

If you really care, get a drill in there (you might need to saw the car
in half to get to it).

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.
Old December 24th 05, 10:47 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Andy Dingley wrote:

Otherwise glue a _stud_ in there with JB Weld and put a nut on the top.
But this is a bodge.

But I would do that with LockTite.

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Old December 24th 05, 01:43 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Make yourself a self tapping stud- use a 5/16 self tapping metal bolt- cut
off the head and turn the end to 1/4" and thread it- double nut it and
thread the 5/16 portion into your block
news

Old December 24th 05, 03:34 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

"Tom Gardner" wrote in message
. net...
Won't work, you're screwed!

Used to work fine in the 60's on VW head studs- they made a special stud
with a self tapping end so you could replace a pulled stud right alongside
the road.