Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

Default OT-San Fran and the NRA

Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2005 10:03 p.m. EST

San Francisco, NRA Make Deal on Handgun Ban

The city of San Francisco and the National Rifle Association reached a
deal Wednesday under which city officials will delay enforcement of
part of a voter-approved handgun ban.

Voters on Nov. 8 approved banning the sale and possession of handguns
in the city. Residents must get rid of their weapons by April 1. But
the NRA and city agreed to extend from Jan. 1 to March 1 the deadline
for banning sales.

In exchange, the NRA agreed to drop its bid for a temporary
restraining order and will instead have the issue litigated in court,
which should resolve it more quickly.

The measure was put on the ballot by the San Francisco County Board of
Supervisors, which was frustrated by the number of gun-related
homicides. About 58 percent of voters approved it.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
SteveF

"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2005 10:03 p.m. EST

San Francisco, NRA Make Deal on Handgun Ban

The city of San Francisco and the National Rifle Association reached a
deal Wednesday under which city officials will delay enforcement of
part of a voter-approved handgun ban.

Voters on Nov. 8 approved banning the sale and possession of handguns
in the city. Residents must get rid of their weapons by April 1. But
the NRA and city agreed to extend from Jan. 1 to March 1 the deadline
for banning sales.

[snip]

This is why North Carolina passed a law that says local city and county
governments can't make ANY firearms laws. This way local governments don't
get distracted pursuing useless activities.

Steve.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Well it's a crowded city; I've always favored short swords
for urban combat, heh.

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Whatever happened
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : to Eiffel Plasterer?
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Shabtai Evan

Thanks San Francisco. You've made my 83 year old, Buchenwald
concentration camp surviving father a criminal. He's got a S&W 38
special for home protection 50 yrs ago. Last time someone broke into
his home he was 16, in Vienna, and it was the Nazi's. They put a gun to
his father's head as his mother begged for mercy.
Can't happen here.

Shabtai Evan

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Fri, 30 Dec 2005 21:10:29 -0800, Shabtai Evan
wrote:

Thanks San Francisco. You've made my 83 year old, Buchenwald
concentration camp surviving father a criminal. He's got a S&W 38
special for home protection 50 yrs ago. Last time someone broke into
his home he was 16, in Vienna, and it was the Nazi's. They put a gun to
his father's head as his mother begged for mercy.
Can't happen here.

"Never again!"

"a .22 for every Jew"

Gunner, who is fairly, though not totally confidant (it is California
afterall) that the "law" will be overturned shortly.

Shabtai Evan

Gunner Asch wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
J. Clarke

wrote:

Thanks San Francisco. You've made my 83 year old, Buchenwald
concentration camp surviving father a criminal. He's got a S&W 38
special for home protection 50 yrs ago. Last time someone broke into
his home he was 16, in Vienna, and it was the Nazi's. They put a gun to
his father's head as his mother begged for mercy.
Can't happen here.

"Never again!"

"a .22 for every Jew"

Gunner, who is fairly, though not totally confidant (it is California
afterall) that the "law" will be overturned shortly.

Was the Morton Grove ordinance ever overturned?

snip

--
--John
to email, dial "usenet" and validate
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 30 Dec 2005 18:17:27 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer
quickly quoth:

--Well it's a crowded city; I've always favored short swords
for urban combat, heh.

Do you favor the wakizashi (for its light weight and easy
maneuverability) or the Roman gladius, a sturdier weapon?
Or, perhaps, you prefer the lovely Egyptian khopesh or the
sexy scimitar? (I loved the double-curved scimitars used by
the Ardeth Bey and the Medjai in the movie "The Mummy")

Do the voices in my head bother you?
http://diversify.com Full-Service Web Development

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

SteveF wrote:
"Gunner Asch" wrote in message
Wednesday, Dec. 28, 2005 10:03 p.m. EST

San Francisco, NRA Make Deal on Handgun Ban

The city of San Francisco and the National Rifle Association reached a
deal Wednesday under which city officials will delay enforcement of
part of a voter-approved handgun ban.

Voters on Nov. 8 approved banning the sale and possession of handguns
in the city. Residents must get rid of their weapons by April 1. But
the NRA and city agreed to extend from Jan. 1 to March 1 the deadline
for banning sales.

[snip]

This is why North Carolina passed a law that says local city and county
governments can't make ANY firearms laws. This way local governments don't
get distracted pursuing useless activities.

Steve.

CA has one of those preemption laws, too, the folks that run S.F. just
figure they don't belong with the rest of the state, they're somehow
superior and all. Hizzoner figures that it'll get overturned at the
state Supreme Court level, anyway, from what I've read.

When I left the area, there WAS only one gun shop left, the S.F. Gun
Exchange, I've since heard they've run that place out of business. I
imagine the dealine extension was to allow the filing of papers at the
state level to overturn the ordinance, although you probably won't get
that through the normal news channels.

Stan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

wrote:

Thanks San Francisco. You've made my 83 year old, Buchenwald
concentration camp surviving father a criminal. He's got a S&W 38
special for home protection 50 yrs ago. Last time someone broke into
his home he was 16, in Vienna, and it was the Nazi's. They put a gun to
his father's head as his mother begged for mercy.
Can't happen here.

"Never again!"

"a .22 for every Jew"

Gunner, who is fairly, though not totally confidant (it is California
afterall) that the "law" will be overturned shortly.

Was the Morton Grove ordinance ever overturned?

snip

Excellent point. However..a number of others were. I dont recall if
Illinois constitution has a 2nd Amendment clause. California
however.does.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques

On 31 Dec 2005 17:54:09 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, steamer
quickly quoth:

--I like the gladius; one whack and they don't come back.. ;-)

Hey, don't be whacking with a gladius. They're thrusting tools.

Save the Endangered Bouillons from being cubed!
http://www.diversify.com/stees.html Hilarious T-shirts online
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I wonder if Federal funds could be withheld from Ca. not controlling the Mentally
Ill that are in charge in San Fran (I know they don't like the short way) from violating
Federal and Constitutional law as well as the Constitution itself.

They cry for one reason and try to stop it with the wrong method.

The gangs will still be armed - They are not legal anyway - and don't respect the law.
They and the drug types are the ones killing most. I see far to much
'product of their environment excuse' there. Remember the "Twinkie" 'excuse' case was SFO!

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member