Allan Adler

Default pumps

After looking at Gingery's book, "How to design and build centrifugal fans
for the home shop" and at Paul Garay's book, "Pump application desk book",
3d ed., I have the impression that it is fair to classify a fan as a special
kind of pump. Assuming that is correct, would it also be correct to conclude
that minor modifications of Gingery's centrifugal fan designs might make it
possible also to build vacuum pumps, water pumps, etc.?

Garay's book doesn't tell you how to build pumps, although it seems to have
a lot of useful information. If there is a book that tells you how to build
your own pumps (assuming that is a realistic project for someone with a metal
shop, which I am not), I'd be glad to know about it.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Roy J

I got into looking at squirel cage fans for a project, came to
the conclusion that the more I knew the less I knew. These things
are ugly to design!

The issues associated with each type you mentioned are way
different. Vac pumps have very low flow, very tight tolerances.
Air units have high flow. High pressure air has lower flow, lower
effieciecy, lots of tolerance issues. water is a whole different
ball game. Etc etc.

I would read those two books to get an idea of the design issues,
then copy an existing design and make any MINOR modifications you
would need. Better yet, just buy what you need, add your own
motor or whatever.

Allan Adler wrote:

[...]

Mark

Allan Adler wrote:

After looking at Gingery's book, "How to design and build centrifugal fans
for the home shop" and at Paul Garay's book, "Pump application desk book",
3d ed., I have the impression that it is fair to classify a fan as a special
kind of pump.

(sniffing the air)

Do I smell a troll?

--

Mark

N.E. Ohio

Never argue with a fool, a bystander can't tell you apart. (S. Clemens,
A.K.A. Mark Twain)

When in doubt hit the throttle. It may not help but it sure ends the
suspense. (Gaz, r.moto)

Central Heating. 2 pumps no valves wiring Clive M UK diy 21 July 29th 04 10:35 AM
Shower pumps again!!! Peter UK diy 7 April 6th 04 10:20 PM
Do shower pumps HAVE to go on cistern systems? Hamie! UK diy 1 April 4th 04 09:43 AM