Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hari Seldon

Default Machinist's Library?

I've been a machinist (vertical mill/Bridgeport) for several
years now and while I think I'm pretty good at it, (at least
the boss has no complaints) I've had no formal education
in machining/metalworking and everything I know has been
learned on-the-job from more experienced machinists (who
all learned on-the-job also).

Wanting to expand my knowledge of metalworking (and
increase my value to my employer/future employers) but
not having to time to get the schooling, I was thinking about
building up my own "machinist's library".

I'd like to eventually have a collection of metalworking books
ranging from basic high school machine shop type text books
up to specialized books concerning CNC programming, shop
management, metallurgy, shop math, welding, machine repair,
ect, ect, ect.

After looking thru several catalogs from supply companies
I see there are all kinds of books available but they're quite
expensive and the descriptions of the book's contents are
seriously lacking.

So what kinds of machining books do you have and which
would you recommend? And while I'm at it, any good web
sites related to the industry?

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Grant Erwin

Hari Seldon wrote:

[...]

The absolute hugest most critical mistake you can possibly make is to buy such
books without first reading them through carefully. How to read them before
buying? Simple - you check them out of your local library! Your library doesn't
have one? Simple - you request an interlibrary loan.

If you buy books without knowing if they're useful (most aren't) you will waste
a ton of money.

Grant
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

Best darned advice I have seen in a long time!!!!!

Get the librarians to dig through their resources and come up with copies.
Read them and if interested go to Amazon or just plain Google until you find
a used copy for a buck.

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Hari Seldon wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Wayne Lundberg

Most machine shop books are old. Everybody is focusing on CNC today and
don't have a clue as to non CNC machining.

Hari Seldon wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
MOP CAP

While we are on the subject. How many volumes are there in Moltrecht's
Machine Shop Proctice?

TIA

Chuck P.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress

"Hari Seldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
[...]

I've probably got 50 or 60 of them, maybe more, but I'm not going to
recommend any. That's because I think you have an opportunity to increase
your value and to document it at the same time. In other words, you probably
can combine distance learning and "comping out" (taking final tests, without
the classes), to acquire certification or an associate's degree). To do that
you'll need the syllabus and book list from the program you're interested
in.

Most of us here have a lot of classics and books of interest mainly to
hobbyists. They used to be the meat and potatoes of the industry but no
more. Now, particularly in CNC and metallurgy, you'll want the latest.

So I'd check into the best machining/CNC program at nearby colleges
(community colleges, if that's where the action is in your area) and see
what the possibilities are. You're going to study the books, anyway. You'd
might as well get something for it. And, if your programs are like the ones
here, you can do it at your own pace.

If you can talk to an instructor there you probably can get their current
book lists.

Good luck. You're going to need more certification and/or a degree in the
future. This business is changing, and education is the best protection
against finding yourself out in the cold. It's no guarantee, but it helps.

--
Ed Huntress

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Greg Menke

To start with get a Machinery's Handbook, pre-60's editions on ebay are
nice for manual machines. The older editions also have lots of old-time
techniques and receipes for everything from sealing high pressure steam
pipes to techniques for controlling dust on earth floors. Its a great
resource.

http://www.practicalmachinst.com is a good website to visit as well.

Gregm

"Hari Seldon" writes:
I've been a machinist (vertical mill/Bridgeport) for several
years now and while I think I'm pretty good at it, (at least
the boss has no complaints) I've had no formal education
in machining/metalworking and everything I know has been
learned on-the-job from more experienced machinists (who
all learned on-the-job also).

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Mike Henry

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:191220051656562348%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...
While we are on the subject. How many volumes are there in Moltrecht's
Machine Shop Proctice?

Two, last I heard.

Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 19 Dec 2005 16:06:35 -0800, "Hari Seldon"
wrote:

[...]

================
see
http://www.mcduffee-associates.us/ma...ning_books.htm

feel free to browse the entire site.

Uncle George

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bugs

They used to call your experience 'apprenticeship'; a very good way to
learn a trade. For long term detailed reference, except for newer
technology, I also recommend Machinery's Handbook.
Bugs

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Rex B

Hari Seldon wrote:
[...]

I have about 20 titles, of which I can recall only a few at the moment.
I check the local used book stores pretty regularly and pick up most
titles for under $10, often much less.
Last night the only thing of interest was a Warner-Swasey hardback
on operating a turret lathe. At $9.98 I wasn't really interested. If
anyone here is, I'll stop back by and buy it for you.

Rex B
Fort Worth
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
daniel peterman

Try to get a copy of Machine tool Metal by Feirer and Tatro. library of
congress # 60-13765. l believe it's a hig school or trade school
textbook. Also Machinery's handbook
I have a copy of each of these to sell for $35 together if interested
Plus book rate postage from 92115
Thx
Dan

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
steamer

--Sorry, couldn't resist, how's the encyclopedia coming? ;-)

--
"Steamboat Ed" Haas : Nihil curo de ista tua
Hacking the Trailing Edge! : stulta superstitione...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Mike Henry :

"MOP CAP" wrote in message
news:191220051656562348%Pilgrim6nospam@mindspring. com...
While we are on the subject. How many volumes are there in Moltrecht's
Machine Shop Proctice?

Two, last I heard.

That's what my set is. But -- I seem to remember reading here
some years back that it was at one time published as a single volume.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to steamer :
--Sorry, couldn't resist, how's the encyclopedia coming? ;-)

I wonder how many will get that one? It *can't* be an accident,
because the spelling of the first name is even correct for the
interpretation.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Hari Seldon

steamer wrote

--Sorry, couldn't resist, how's the encyclopedia coming? ;-)

Slowly but steadily. I'd get more done but Dors is keeping
me up at night. Man, that gal is like a machine!....

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
F. George McDuffee

On 20 Dec 2005 16:08:25 -0800, "Hari Seldon"
wrote:
snip
What does the group think about getting an earlier (and cheaper)
edition of Machinery's Handbook, say the 26th edition?

FWIW -- the earlier editions, even before the 26th may be better
for the typical [manual] machinist. Only real lack may be metric
information which may or may not be a problem.
Uncle George
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
DoN. Nichols

According to Hari Seldon :

[ ... ]

Sure, but I was just looking for opinions from the group on which
books you guys think are worthwhile, to narrow the search down
a bit.

What does the group think about getting an earlier (and cheaper)
edition of Machinery's Handbook, say the 26th edition?

I would suggest that there is benefit to be had from both an
older edition (e.g. I have a 16th edition), and a more recent one, with
the 25th having added some collet information not in the previous
edition.

I don't know what the 26th or 27th may offer which are not in
the 25th, as I don't have these.

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
jj

"Hari Seldon" wrote:

steamer wrote

--Sorry, couldn't resist, how's the encyclopedia coming? ;-)

Slowly but steadily. I'd get more done but Dors is keeping
me up at night. Man, that gal is like a machine!....

I got the Hari Seldon ref (Isaac Asimov) and the encyclopedia ref
triggered an ancient recollection but I don't get the Dors ref...

Jay

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Martin H. Eastburn

I also have the nice green 16th - bought new and the large print 25 (blue).

Consider alloy information on cutter material. Some names are not in the
new book at all. In the new book there are carbide and it isn't in the old.
I have old screw specs in the old one - new one dominates on the new stuff and
not so much on the old.

Someone in the group has a shelf of different versions.

Martin
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH & Endowment Member

DoN. Nichols wrote:
According to Hari Seldon :

[ ... ]

Sure, but I was just looking for opinions from the group on which
books you guys think are worthwhile, to narrow the search down
a bit.

What does the group think about getting an earlier (and cheaper)
edition of Machinery's Handbook, say the 26th edition?

I would suggest that there is benefit to be had from both an
older edition (e.g. I have a 16th edition), and a more recent one, with
the 25th having added some collet information not in the previous
edition.

I don't know what the 26th or 27th may offer which are not in
the 25th, as I don't have these.

Enjoy,
DoN.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Geoff M

On Tue, 20 Dec 2005 00:41:07 GMT, Wayne Lundberg wrote:

Best darned advice I have seen in a long time!!!!!

Get the librarians to dig through their resources and come up with copies.
Read them and if interested go to Amazon or just plain Google until you find
a used copy for a buck.

www.abebooks.com is great - second hand book search engine, It has bot cost
me a lot of money and saved me a lot at the same time...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
michael

Hari Seldon wrote:
Grant Erwin wrote

Hari Seldon wrote

So what kinds of machining books do you have and which
would you recommend? And while I'm at it, any good web
sites related to the industry?

The absolute hugest most critical mistake you can possibly
make is to buy such books without first reading them through
carefully. How to read them before buying? Simple - you check
them out of your local library!

Sure, but I was just looking for opinions from the group on which
books you guys think are worthwhile, to narrow the search down
a bit.

What does the group think about getting an earlier (and cheaper)
edition of Machinery's Handbook, say the 26th edition?

My newest Machinery's is a 21st edition. Also have a Fifth edition that
has some potentially useful info not found in the later offerings.

Machine Shop Primer Colvin/Stanley 1910 First edition, covering
equipment, tools, and shop terms of the time. Neat book. One can see the
changes, or lack thereof, in equipment, etc. I found that oil-fed drills
were used then. Would have thought that was a more recent development.

Shop and Foundry Practice 1903, if I was wanting to do some home foundry
work, blacksmithing, or forging, this has probably everything I would
need to know. After flipping through it, I'll make some time to read the
blacksmithing & forging sections.
Also have Shop Theory from the Henry Ford Trade School printed in 1942,
Machine Shop Practice 2 vol set by Moltrecht 1981, and a few others
including welding.

Like you, I had no formal apprenticeship and have gotten lots of OJT
since 1970, including 21 years as a business owner. I've learned
something from all of these books and expect to learn more when I find
time to do a bit more reading. All of the older books were aquired at no
cost to me from friends who figured I would find them of better use than
would they.

I guess my suggestion is don't pass anything up, especially if the price
is right.

mj
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bob Engelhardt

Grant Erwin wrote:
... How to read
them before buying? Simple - you check them out of your local library! ...

I have not had much success finding books in the library that have been
mentioned here, even with ILL. I remember once doing a nation-wide
library search without finding the book.

An alternative to the library for reading-before-buying is eBay
"rental". Buy a used one on eBay, being careful to not pay more than
the going rate. Read it and then re-sell it on eBay. On the average it
will cost shipping and seller fees.

Bob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Leon Fisk

On Fri, 23 Dec 2005 18:27:31 -0500, Bob Engelhardt
wrote:

snip
I have not had much success finding books in the library that have been
mentioned here, even with ILL. I remember once doing a nation-wide
library search without finding the book.

snip

Here is another source for used and new books worth trying:

http://www.bookfinder.com

They don't sell books, just a meta search engine for books.

When doing searches for books, try to be sure you have the
title, author and/or ISBN correct. Libraries in particular
are very unforgiving if you misspell any search terms...
--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b