Bob Chilcoat

Default Great Idea - Communal Snowblower

My neighbors on both sides and I invested in a big (26") 8 hp snowblower a
couple of weeks ago. At $247 each, we have a brand new snowblower that will
clear each of our driveways in 15 min flat. The nor'easter that came
through this weekend made that seem like a great investment. I was out of
town for the storm, but came back to a cleared driveway, because my partners
couldn't resist trying it out some more. That makes it a GREAT deal!

Here in NJ we only get a big storm once every couple of years, but it takes
me 2-3 hours to clear the drive with the blade on my tractor when we have
more than 3-4". The snowblower is the best tool for big snows, but is hard
to justify for the few times we need it. Sharing the cost makes it very
practical.

We looked at a Riobi and a "Yard Machines" (both 9.5 hp made by MTD) from
Costco, but settled on the 8 hp Murray from BJ's Warehouse for $799. The
engineering was much better even though the engine was a bit smaller. Nice
unit.

Grant Erwin

Hope you guys never have an accident with this thing and find out that one
of you isn't insured. Insurance is usually the thing that kills communal
ownership these days. - GWE

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

[...]

James P Crombie

I just finished digging out from a foot of heavy wet snow. Basically
the same snowblower as yours. took me two hours :-) Drifts up to 4'
around the car. When it snows here in PEI, the winds are usually
60-80kph. I don't remember ever seeing the snow come straight down
here. Its usually horizontial :-) Gusts last night to 90kph

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

[...]

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer
Canada 3D Designer

E-mail
Astronomy webpage
http://www.jamescrombie.com
Rhinoceros 3D webpage http://www.jamescrombie.com/rhino/
Mirror Grinder page http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/

Glenn Ashmore

What's snow? :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

James P Crombie

At least we don't get to many huricane here :-)

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What's snow? :-)

James P Crombie

Summerside Machinist
Prince Edward Island Amateur Astronomer
Canada 3D Designer

E-mail
Astronomy webpage
http://www.jamescrombie.com
Rhinoceros 3D webpage http://www.jamescrombie.com/rhino/
Mirror Grinder page http://www.jamescrombie.com/pics/

chem

Ahh, that's what I keep the boyfriend around for He was out
shoveling for a couple of hours this afternoon, and our side of the
street got *nothing* compared to the drifts across the street.

chem

Bob Chilcoat wrote:

[...]

take out the trash to reply by email
www.xanga.com/chemgurl

Lewis Hartswick

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What's snow? :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

I remember SNOW. I think. Last year we had about 2 inches once or twice
but
it was all gone by noon the next day. :-)
...lew...
GTO69RA4

Please don't say that, it hurts. I just finished three days of clearing a
30" snowfall with 4' drifts here in Eastern MA.

Had an 8 year old Murray but sold it in favor of a 40 year old Ariens. I'm
happy.

GTO(John)

I remember SNOW. I think. Last year we had about 2 inches once or twice
but
it was all gone by noon the next day. :-)
...lew...

Gerald Miller

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 03:09:28 GMT, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What's snow? :-)

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

I remember SNOW. I think. Last year we had about 2 inches once or twice
but
it was all gone by noon the next day. :-)
...lew...

Early Feb. 1996 I got to see Georgia state highway authority's
snowplow in company with two road graders out on I-75. I had been
driving on snow packed/track bare highway ever since crossing the
Detroit river.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada
James Watt

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 05:45:10 GMT, Gerald Miller
wrote:

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 03:09:28 GMT, Lewis Hartswick
wrote:

Glenn Ashmore wrote:

What's snow? :-)

The stuff that causes people to slow down and drive even more stupid
than they usually do (if that's possible). Of course the same can be
said for sunshine, warm temps and dry pavement.

--
Glenn Ashmore

there of) at: http://www.rutuonline.com

I remember SNOW. I think. Last year we had about 2 inches once or twice
but
it was all gone by noon the next day. :-)
...lew...

Early Feb. 1996 I got to see Georgia state highway authority's
snowplow in company with two road graders out on I-75. I had been
driving on snow packed/track bare highway ever since crossing the
Detroit river.
Gerry :-)}
London, Canada

There's only one good thing about snow. You can have fun driving in
it (away from traffic of course). Other than that, let it be summer.
Two wheels are better than four.

James.
Ottawa Canada
(slightly modified) Subaru Outback (the fun part of winter)

Glenn Lyford

Had an 8 year old Murray but sold it in favor of a 40 year old Ariens.
I'm happy.

I don't remember the exact age, but I think when I looked up the
serial number on the B&S motor on my snowblower it was a 1956. I may
be off a couple of years. It's a Lambert "Klondike" Industrial Snow
Thrower model EZ28 (never heard of them, myself). Two stage with a
chain drive to the main auger, predates those little worm gear boxes
they use now. I picked it up well used three years ago after doing my
own shovelling the first year here at the house, and I've been happy
with it ever since. Only thing I've had to replace so far has been
the recoil spring...

--Glenn Lyford, also in MA
Gunner

On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 01:26:07 -0500, James Watt
wrote:

What's snow? :-)

The stuff that causes people to slow down and drive even more stupid
than they usually do (if that's possible). Of course the same can be
said for sunshine, warm temps and dry pavement.

OH!! Like rain in Southern California! But then in So. Cal..they just
drive faster.
Got to love it when you see 4 SUVs all swapping ends at the same time
within 100yrd of each other at 70 mph.

Gunner. cringing as its supposed to rain for the next 3 days in
So.Cal..and he will be there in the morning..

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Anon Ymous

How did you work out the terms for ownership, repair costs, survivorship,
etc. My folks had a boat co-owned with another couple. They had a falling
out and it was a bitch sorting it out.

Just Curious,
tHAT

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
My neighbors on both sides and I invested in a big (26") 8 hp snowblower a
couple of weeks ago. At $247 each, we have a brand new snowblower that

will

Bob Chilcoat

I had an 8 hp Ariens that I brought from Syracuse when we moved here 16
years ago. After not using it at all for three years, I sold it. The
following year we got an 18" dump. Since then, every time we've had a big
snowfall, I've regretted selling the Ariens. The Murray isn't an Ariens,
but it should be fine for the few times we'll use it. Should last for years
and years.

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Please don't say that, it hurts. I just finished three days of clearing

30" snowfall with 4' drifts here in Eastern MA.

Had an 8 year old Murray but sold it in favor of a 40 year old Ariens. I'm
happy.

GTO(John)

I remember SNOW. I think. Last year we had about 2 inches once or twice
but
it was all gone by noon the next day. :-)
...lew...

Bob Chilcoat

We agreed up front that if anyone moves, the other two have to buy him out.
They can then try and sell the new neighbor the share. Other than that, two
of us are mechanics, so we don't foresee a lot of maintenance issues. I
guess as it gets older, the cost of a share should go down, but at $247 per
share, it ain't the national debt.

"Anon Ymous" wrote in message
How did you work out the terms for ownership, repair costs, survivorship,
etc. My folks had a boat co-owned with another couple. They had a falling
out and it was a bitch sorting it out.

Just Curious,
tHAT

"Bob Chilcoat" wrote in message
My neighbors on both sides and I invested in a big (26") 8 hp snowblower

couple of weeks ago. At $247 each, we have a brand new snowblower that

will

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 13:09:24 -0500, "Bob Chilcoat"
wrote:

I had an 8 hp Ariens that I brought from Syracuse when we moved here 16
years ago. After not using it at all for three years, I sold it. The
following year we got an 18" dump. Since then, every time we've had a big
snowfall, I've regretted selling the Ariens. The Murray isn't an Ariens,
but it should be fine for the few times we'll use it. Should last for years
and years.

Yup - but that old ariens will still be around to bury the Murray when
the time comes.
Old Ariens stuff was well designed and well built - price be damned.
The Murray stuff is built to the lowest common denominator - the
penny.
Joel Corwith

wrote:

What's snow? :-)

The stuff that causes people to slow down and drive even more stupid
than they usually do (if that's possible). Of course the same can be
said for sunshine, warm temps and dry pavement.

OH!! Like rain in Southern California! But then in So. Cal..they just
drive faster.

Rain? At least I've heard of that. Happened a few years back. I was
driving along a 45mph road and the traffic all of a sudden slows down. Inch
our way forward to find a low spot in the road with an inch or 2 of water in
the street, then they speed back up. Huh? We had to stop for a water
puddle?

Joel. phx

Got to love it when you see 4 SUVs all swapping ends at the same time
within 100yrd of each other at 70 mph.

Gunner. cringing as its supposed to rain for the next 3 days in
So.Cal..and he will be there in the morning..

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

Sunworshiper

On Tue, 9 Dec 2003 14:10:55 -0700, "Joel Corwith"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

What's snow? :-)

The stuff that causes people to slow down and drive even more stupid
than they usually do (if that's possible). Of course the same can be
said for sunshine, warm temps and dry pavement.

OH!! Like rain in Southern California! But then in So. Cal..they just
drive faster.

Rain? At least I've heard of that. Happened a few years back. I was
driving along a 45mph road and the traffic all of a sudden slows down. Inch
our way forward to find a low spot in the road with an inch or 2 of water in
the street, then they speed back up. Huh? We had to stop for a water
puddle?

Joel. phx

I'm almost sure it is because they don't want to get their car
remotely dirty.

I lived in east Boston for a summer and I heard how owning a car can
be fun in the winter. They said it is like a war with where to put
the snow and parking spaces. I was sure not to stay to find out.

We could have used digital cameras as teenagers cause we couldn't
touch the snowblower in northern Wis. We had to make it look like it
was never moved. And then redo everything to make it look like it was
shoveled by hand. Even down to having the snow pile up close like it
was all done by hand.

No wonder why I like the southern belt , I wish I was further south.

Got to love it when you see 4 SUVs all swapping ends at the same time
within 100yrd of each other at 70 mph.

Gunner. cringing as its supposed to rain for the next 3 days in
So.Cal..and he will be there in the morning..

No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith

Brian Lawson

Hey Bob,

A simple Buy-Sell agreement would do quite well here , if it's not too
late. A very fair system.
Any one "owner" is entitled to ask either or both of other owners to
"buy" his share for a price he sets for his share. If one or both of
the other two owners feel the proposed asking price is too high, then
the owner that proposed the price MUST buy the share of the
other('s) instead, and he MUST buy at that price he set for his
share.
Works the other way too. Say one owner is displeased with someone
else, possibly in the way the other is operating the machine or
monopolizing the use (doesn't matter WHY), then he has the right to
offer to BUY the other's share, and that owner must either sell at the
proposed price, or buy from the originator at the price the originator
set. This will keep the price at real value.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.