Glenn Lyford

Default Small gloat, Hendey lathe, and questions...

Hi guys,

I've just acquired a Hendey lathe, story and pics are at

http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/lathe/hendey.htm

and I have a few questions.

Does anyone have something similar and can tell me the toothcount,
DP, and arrangement of the gears from the dog clutch to the quick
change gearbox?

My feed plate indicates a 144T and two 36T gears are used, but my
understanding is that any combination that gives me a 1:4, 1:1, and 4:1
ratio (such as 24/96T, etc) and can fit on the banjo will work. If
this is so, then it would be a lot easier for me to reconstruct the feed
on this since I could use any other lathe gears of the right pitch that
I could find. Anyone see any problems with that approach?

Also, does anyone know off the top of their heads if the usual suspects
for lathe parts in the NE have anything for Hendeys? Plaza, Mermac, etc.?

Thanks a bunch,
--Glenn Lyford
BEAR

Glenn,

By the powers vested in me by the powers that vest powers and all
who have vested powers vested in them, I hearby authorize you to
clean and organize your shop hencewith. '- )

_-_-bear

PS. I can say this, since I just did that to mine... well it's about 80% finished
this weekend... and yes it was worth it. :- )

--
_-_- BEAR Labs
- Custom Audio Equipment, Cables, Mods, Repairs -

Glenn Lyford

By the powers vested in me by the powers that vest powers and all
who have vested powers vested in them, I hearby authorize you to
clean and organize your shop hencewith. '- )

Yes, I need help, I've been on the Packrats Anonymous gang since
'way back. See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...s+anonymous%22

besides, how do you think I made room for the lathe...?
:^) :^) :^)

--Glenn Lyford
Glenn Lyford

You may need the larger gear to bridge to the QC box.
From about 1892 Hendey made an early form of QC, the Hendey-Norton.
Norton held the 1892 patent for it. I don't have the number, off
hand. Your machine looks even earlier, though.

No, it specifically states Norton Patent gearbox, 1892, so it's at least
that new. :^) Besides, I thought the earlier ones were change gear?
The feedplate looks almost exactly like the one in the dropbox from a
couple of years back, except it says "Feeds 7 times threads per inch".
But as long as I have enough idlers to convey the power, the speeds should
work, yes? I'd make an extra gear bracket if I have to, though I suspect
there's enough adjustment in the current one so that'd not be needed,
though I would have to make some extra studs...

A couple of years ago there was a guy posting here from Torrington,
where they were based. He had some Hendey machinery for display
there, iirc. Perhaps you could scout out that city to see if anything
like that is still there. Frank Morrison

Good idea, thank you.

--Glenn Lyford

ERich10983

By the powers vested in me by the powers that vest powers and all
who have vested powers vested in them, I hearby authorize you to
clean and organize your shop hencewith. '- )

Yes, I need help, I've been on the Packrats Anonymous gang since
'way back. See

http://groups.google.com/groups?q=%2...s+anonymous%22

besides, how do you think I made room for the lathe...?

Yep, I started that thread back way back when. Since then I've retired and
practically made a new profession of getting rid of "junque" by gifting local
kids and anyone else who needs really neat stuff. I consider myself a reformed
sinner who hoarded way too much material and gadgetry.

On the down side, there are several parents in town who turn out the lights and
barricade the doors when they see me drive up in my truck.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Gunner

On Sun, 07 Dec 2003 19:24:03 GMT, Glenn Lyford
wrote:

Hi guys,

I've just acquired a Hendey lathe, story and pics are at

http://home.comcast.net/~glyford/lathe/hendey.htm

Welll Done!!

Gunner
No 220-pound thug can threaten the well-being or dignity of a 110-pound
woman who has two pounds of iron to even things out. Is that evil?
Is that wrong? People who object to weapons aren't abolishing violence,
they're begging for the rule of brute force, when the biggest, strongest
animals among men were always automatically "right". Guns end that,
and social democracy is a hollow farce without an armed populace to make
it work.
- L. Neil Smith
Gunner

On 07 Dec 2003 23:40:37 GMT, (ERich10983) wrote:

[...]

Chuckle..I just put 4 monitors, a half dozen PCs and all manner of
bits and pieces next to the dumpster this afternoon. I figure they
will be gone by noon, before the trash truck comes.