Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson

Default Air compressor problem, anyone??

Dave, I can't do that wrote:

Hi people,

Went to the shop this morning to find the air compressor (Campbell
Hausfield 6hp, 125psi) runnning and a big air leak from somewhere.

Pressure was at 40lbs and I could feel a lot of air escaping around the
control switch. I could not see exactly from where. I shut it down and
after a few seconds more air rushing out, something clicked and the air
leak stopped.

After some more looking around I found a pressure relief valve under
the switch so I assume this was stuck open. I tried it an sure enough
air escaped again but it closed itself when I let go the keyring just
as I expected.

I started the thing back up and it went to 120lbs and shut down
normally. I tried the pressure relief and it stays out with air
escaping until pushed back in.

Can someone who has one of these air compressors check their pressure
relief valve when the tank is at full pressure and tell me if the thing
spring returns or stays out. I may need a new relief valve or at least
clean out this one. I thought I'd ask before commiting to that though.

I think you have a real problem with the pressure SWITCH, not the safety
relief! I think your pressure switch stuck on, and pumped up to higher
than normal pressure, and set off the safety relief. The behavior after
the relief popped open os a bit unusual, but I don't think that is the
original
problem. I suspect it will do this again at some time. You are lucky the
relief worked as designed.

(There is also an unloader release that is supposed to drain the line
from the
compressor to the tank when the compressor shuts off, to ease the restart.
This is part of the pressure switch. This may actually be what stuck open.)

Jon

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ned Simmons

In article 1133380318.857778.212840
@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com, says...
[...]

The safety relief should not reseat itself until the
pressure drops well below its setpoint. I wouldn't consider
the compressor safe to operate until you figure out what
caused the overpressure condition that opened the relief.
The most likely culprit is the pressure switch.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

Thanks Ned,

I am not sure it was an over-pressure though and the compressor was
still running above the reset point of the relief. It wasn't until I
turned off the power that a few seconds later the pressure relief
reset. If that's what it is supposed to do. It may just be a faulty
pressure relief valve that suddenly decided to open.

The pressure relief's reset point is lower than the compressor can
maintain pressure when the relief is open and that's why it was still
running. Maybe I need a different pressure relief. I bought the
compressor new back in about '98, so I know it is the factory fitted
relief.

Maybe I need both a switch and relief. I don't have mnoney to just toss
at it so replacing the real culprit is important.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ron Moore

Well, you did say the the copper tubing had turned black. That would
probably be from overheating with over pressure. With the relief valve
open, the compressor wouldn't be working that hard at all so I would say
that the limit switch malfunctioned first, causing the relief switch to
"relieve".
Respectfully,
Ron Moore

"Dave, I can't do that" wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks Ned,

I am not sure it was an over-pressure though and the compressor was
still running above the reset point of the relief. It wasn't until I
turned off the power that a few seconds later the pressure relief
reset. If that's what it is supposed to do. It may just be a faulty
pressure relief valve that suddenly decided to open.

The pressure relief's reset point is lower than the compressor can
maintain pressure when the relief is open and that's why it was still
running. Maybe I need a different pressure relief. I bought the
compressor new back in about '98, so I know it is the factory fitted
relief.

Maybe I need both a switch and relief. I don't have mnoney to just toss
at it so replacing the real culprit is important.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave, I can't do that

So, where does your air escape from?

I am not sure. By the time I had unplugged it and dragged it out from
under the lathe, it had reset. I was able to feel that it was coming
from around the switch box. I turned it back on but it operated
normally. Hindsight being what it is, I should have dragged it out
before unplugging. sigh

I'm with you about the valve. I have just checked CH troubleshooting
guide on their site and it suggests the check valve needs replacing. I
can't find my model number there so have left a message to see what's
what. I bought this in about '98 so they may no longer support it for
parts. I'll be really ****ed off if that's the case.

vbg Sears HP I am guessing. I think I did a calc some time back and
it was about 2.5hp based on the Watts rating. Still a lot of power to
eat if it was running all night.

Where did you buy the new check valve? I might just do that if CH no
longer support this model. The unloader worked fine when I switched it
back on and but very unlikely it was the cause.

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

On 30 Nov 2005 11:51:58 -0800, "Dave, I can't do that"
wrote:

Hi people,

Went to the shop this morning to find the air compressor (Campbell
Hausfield 6hp, 125psi) runnning and a big air leak from somewhere.

Pressure was at 40lbs and I could feel a lot of air escaping around the
control switch. I could not see exactly from where. I shut it down and
after a few seconds more air rushing out, something clicked and the air
leak stopped.

Your "unloader valve" stuck open.

After some more looking around I found a pressure relief valve under
the switch so I assume this was stuck open. I tried it an sure enough
air escaped again but it closed itself when I let go the keyring just
as I expected.

I started the thing back up and it went to 120lbs and shut down
normally. I tried the pressure relief and it stays out with air
escaping until pushed back in.

Can someone who has one of these air compressors check their pressure
relief valve when the tank is at full pressure and tell me if the thing
spring returns or stays out. I may need a new relief valve or at least
clean out this one. I thought I'd ask before commiting to that though.

Thanks

Dave

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
R. O'Brian

You need a new pressure switch or maybe adjust the one you have. Relief
valves don't suddenly "decide" to open. I had the same problem as you and
the pressure switch was the problem. It's cut-off point had drifted up and
finally exceeded the relief valve's setting. I cleaned and readjusted the
pressure sw. and 5 years later, no more problems.

Randy

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dick

My compressor is never turned off and this has happened to me more than
once. Mine has run long enough to where the run capacitater have burned up
on the motor so as to kick out the circuit breaker. Your problem is your
electric start/stop regulator. There are two sets of copper points in there
and every time they open or close there is an arc. After to many arcs those
points finally start sticking. The only cure is to replace the regulator.
Once it starts sticking it can't be trusted as it will progressively start
doing it more often. That regulator costs around 30.00 at
http://www.mastertoolrepair.com/ They have all that you need for all
compressors. They have that overload valve also but I doubt you need it as
mine does the same as yours when I pull it open to test, it won't kick back
in until there is very low pressure in the tank. I thought it was bad and
replaced it ( about 20.00 ) and the new one did the exact same thing. I've
replaced that relay 3 times over the last ten years, most in the last four
years as I now have little leaks here and there and the compressor has to
refill the tank much more often.
Dick

--
Richard H. Neighbors
Building and repairing fine billiard cues for real pool players at
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Dave

Dave, I can't do that wrote:
[...]

It seems to me there are perhaps three possible sources of this
trouble. The safety valve could be bad. The unloader valve could be
bad. The pressure cutout switch could be bad.
Safety valves can be bought at your local hardware store. You might
have to go to a place like Grainger to get a cutout switch. The
unloader valve is usually built into the cutout switch assembly.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Young

It seems pretty clear that your problem was caused by the pressure switch
failing to open and the safety relief valve opening just like it was
supposed to. A faulty check valve cannot cause this problem. It can cause
the unloader to let all the air out of the tank when the pressure switch
trips to shut off the pump. The pressure switch needs to be cleaned,
adjusted, or replaced.
Don Young
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

"Dave, I can't do that" requested
Can someone who has one of these air compressors check their pressure
relief valve when the tank is at full pressure and tell me if the thing
spring returns or stays out.

Pressure relief valves have hysteresis. They stay open once opened until
the pressure drops to a safe level.

_Occasionally_, if you're operating near the release pressure, vibration
will work a valve open. When it pops, it's going to stay open as long as a
big pump keeps running, because the pressure won't ever drop below the
pop-back-in pressure.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Gunner Asch

On Wed, 30 Nov 2005 13:48:47 -0600, Jon Elson
wrote:

Dave, I can't do that wrote:

[...]

Correct. I had this happen to me last year. The high switch had
gotten wet and the spring trip was rusted shut.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner