bandsaw blade welder

Old November 29th 05, 04:35 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default bandsaw blade welder

Does anyone own or use the Harbor Freight 280 amp bandsaw blade welder
item # 3663-1vga? They are on sale for $129.00 which seems like a good
price but I have not purchased any equipment from this company. This
is a mail order item only, so I have not been able to judge the
quality. If anyone has experience with this machine, I would be
interested in your comments..................thanks.........

Old November 29th 05, 02:44 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I went through 2 of them so far and was not really happy with the
results. Initially I had an Advanced Car Mover "Badger" bandsaw blade
welder, that had to be hooked up to a 12VDC source (automotive
battery) and it worked like a champ with any type of blade I welded
up. But on occassion it was a pain to go and get a battery and hook it
up, so I treid the HF welder...SUCKS, returned it and got another,
Still sucked....got a refund....Back to usuing my Badger blade welder
again and just reserved tothe fact I need a 12VDC power source, but it
does a super job, and is pretty fast and easy to setup and use......

--
\\\|///
( @ @ )

oooO
---------( )----Oooo----------------
\ ( ( )
\_) ) /
(_/
The original frugal ponder! Koi-ahoi mates....
Old November 29th 05, 07:17 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roy,
Do you think a Badger can get enough current from a battery
charger set in the start mode?...Larry

Old November 30th 05, 11:11 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Roy...........Please give a more detailed report on the Harbor Freight
bandsaw blade welder.
What was the machine not doing that made it unacceptable?

Old November 30th 05, 04:32 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

The first one smoked after just 3 welds...and the welds were not done
back to back so cycle time was certainly not a factor. The blades
being welded were 1/2" width carbon steel blades

The 2nd welder just had problems making a fully closed weld on the
blade ends no matter how they were trimmed and dressed. It always left
a hole, or porosity in the welds. It would not do a bi metal balde to
save its life. I have a bandsaw blade cutter which was part of OEM on
an old DoAll bandsaw blade welder. Cuts made with this blade cutter
would look like swiss cheese after being welded with thre HF welder,
however using that same blade cutter on the Badger welder produced
beautiful welds time after time, and it made no distinction in welding
bi metal or cheap carbon blade stock. It (HF) proved to be too much
messing around to get a decent weld or a weld that would hold..which
has not been a problem with the Badger unit at all...

As to how a battery charger on START would handle it, I have an old
Marquette HD charger......I used to be able to start an old 1952
International 6 cylinder dup truck with it just placing it on start
postion, and that old International with a big 6 cylinder pulled some
amps..however I have not been able to get a decent weld by using that
charger on the welder.....It may be insufficient amperage or what or
it may be just worn out after all those years of use, I don;t know. I
just hook up the welder to my tractor or truck or whatever vehicle
with a 12 volt battery is handy and do the welds anymore.

Old November 30th 05, 06:21 PM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I have a small Dayton blade welder and I've never had luck doing bimetal blades
with it either, but it welds carbon blades fine. I go through the carbon blades
faster but then the teeth don't strip off either. I don't tend to push bandsaws
very hard anyway.

GWE

Old December 1st 05, 06:43 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Thanks guys................Larry

Old December 2nd 05, 03:34 AM posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

I haven't had any experience using this welder, but did silver-braze a
few blades with great success. Google for more on silver brazing band
saw blades.

can I cut ipe with a steel bandsaw blade? [email protected] Woodworking 7 September 8th 05 06:13 AM
Bandsaw Blade recommend Tina Woodworking 4 August 23rd 05 11:03 PM
Bandsaw Blade Zipper Metalworking 6 April 11th 05 06:31 PM
How long should a bandsaw blade last? X_HOBBES Woodworking 8 April 10th 05 05:33 PM
Metal Working Machinery New and Used in Australia and for Export [email protected] Metalworking 0 February 23rd 05 03:54 AM