Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

Default What is it? XC

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

R.H. wrote:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

#513: For measuring distances in maps. I liked to play with thatone.
Thanks for the reminder.
#516: LeCorbusier / Norman Foster architectural model
#517: A multi-tool. Like the Leathermans.
#518: for compacting something (clay)
#519: Hahaha! This must be for rockers. A ring that also can open beer
bottles.
#520: A gauge for making barrels?

Nick

--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Erik

In article ,
"R.H." wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

I have a #517 around here somewhere... it a little folding 'Key' knife
screwdriver gimmick.

It has to be the most dangerous thing I've ever seen! When opened to use
the screwdriver/s, the razor sharp partially serrated knife blade
becomes the handle proper. It gives me the creeps every time I see it.

Got it as a gift a few years ago, and almost tossed it when I got a good
look at it... then realized no one would ever believe how stupid the
design is if they didn't get see one in person.

Saw them carded by the thousand one day on point of purchase displays
around the registers at Fry's Electronics... $10 or $11 bucks IIRC.

Erik
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Lew Hartswick

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:
http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
Rob

515 : A map distance measurer.
518 : I think a shuffel board push stick, (thingy)
...lew...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

520. Lobster gage used to measure from the eye socket to
the back of the carapace. This particular gage is not legal
anymore - the minimum carapace length has been 3-1/4" along
the entire northeast coast for some time now. 5" is the
maximum here in ME, I'm not sure if that's true in all
states.

Ned Simmons

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Jeff Wisnia

#513: For measuring distances in maps. I liked to play with thatone.
Thanks for the reminder.

I've still got the one I used for sports car rallying back in the 60s. I
remembered the technical name was Opsiometer and tried to check my
memory, but the closest hit I got was for an optometrist's gadget for
measuring distances.

But I did run into this mind blowing wris****ch with a "map Measurer"
built right in:

http://tinyurl.com/drpnd

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Nick Müller

Jeff Wisnia wrote:

But I did run into this mind blowing wris****ch with a "map Measurer"
built right in:

Now this is handy! Imagine a pilot checking a distance on the map while
flying. Without taking the watch off!
White Knuckle Airways, anyone?

Nick
--
Motor Modelle // Engine Models
http://www.motor-manufaktur.de
DIY-DRO - YADRO - Eigenbau-Digitalanzeige
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Cydrome Leader

In rec.crafts.metalworking R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

516 = traffic light housing, viewed from the rear.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark and Kim Smith

#518 is a tamper.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

They have all been answered correctly this week, though I'm not sure about
#518:

515. Map odometer

516. Back view of a traffic light

517. Utili-key multi-tool

518. This implement was marked "Reaming Iron", which are usually shaped more
like a blunt chisel and are used to open the seams between two planks of a
ship when applying caulking material. Maybe this one was used to tamp the
caulking.

519. Bottle opener ring

520. Lobster gauge

A couple new photos and links have been posted on the answer page:

http://pzphotosan92k.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
William Wixon

dang, i wish i had participated!

i was gonna guess...

515. easy, obvious, map thingy
516. HA! dang! i was lookin' at 'em and the thought passed my mind that
they were traffic signals (because one of 'em was photographed out of doors)
but because they were A. they were not green colored (paint) and B.
because of the two shown one wasn't a "end" module, both were "mid-section"
modules i thought they must be something other than a traffic light.
(usually there are three lights and if two are shown one has to be one of
the ends) didn't consider a signal with more than 3 lights.
517. looked to me to be something that goes on a key chain with your other
keys that does stuff, screwdriver, knife, scissors etc. kind of thing.
518. at first i thought it was an ice chipper but with a 48" long handle
seemed way too short.
519. i laughed when i saw that one. i had heard of guys who have rings that
can open bottle caps but i never saw one. i thought "wow, there's a guy
ready for anything!" (but it seemed to me being always at the ready for a
beer might not necessarily be a overly admirable attribute)
520. had no idea about the lobster gauge, but the poster who said that's
what it was seemed like he knew what of he spoke, i was impressed and
assumed he was right.

They have all been answered correctly this week, though I'm not sure about

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

I think 517 is a medeco high security key.

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Roger Haar

Hi,
515 Distance on a map measuring device.
516 I have seen syrofoam packing that looks like
thiese items
517 Slotted / Phillips screwdriver that clips to
a key chain
518 ???
519 Batman ring
520 It looks a bit like hinge hardware, but the
stamped length argues for it being a gauge of some
kind.

As always this is enjoyable.

Thanks
Roger

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mike Berger

Mike Berger wrote:
I think 517 is a medeco high security key.

Ahh, it looks like it hinges. Must be a roachclip.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Doug Payne

On 28/11/2005 12:11 PM, Mike Berger wrote:

Mike Berger wrote:

I think 517 is a medeco high security key.

Ahh, it looks like it hinges. Must be a roachclip.

http://www.swisstechtools.com/produc...D=VZ75GDTdP68A

Sure, it makes a good clip But I personally prefer this one (in black):

http://www.swisstechtools.com/produc...D=NLlBjkwLR0MA

It "comes in handy on the road and at home!".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

RH said:
"518. This implement was marked "Reaming Iron", which are usually
shaped more
like a blunt chisel and are used to open the seams between two planks
of a
ship when applying caulking material. Maybe this one was used to tamp
the
caulking."

RH:
I agree that this does not seem to be a reaming iron, so I took the
liberty of contacting the Curator and Library Director at the Maine
Maritime Museum, where they specialize in shipbuilding and all things
concerning wooden frame sailboats from the 'tall ships' era. Here is
his reply:
Dear Mr. Buck -

You were right to question the identification of the tool. It is not a
reaming iron, nor any other tool used in the caulking process. It is
not any
kind of shipbuilding tool that I know of, for building wooden vessel,
anyway.

A reaming iron is sharp-bladed, for inserting in the seam between two
planks
and wedging them apart a little bit, to admit the caulking material.
The
tool on the website appeared to be nearly an inch thick - a ship with
an
inch between planks won't float very long. A reaming iron also has a
short,
solid steel shank or handle, designed to be struck with a mallet. It
does
not have a socket for a wooden handle.

Off the top of my head, I do not know what this tool is. We will see if
we
can find out.

Sincerely,
Nathan R. Lipfert, Curator & Library Director
Maine Maritime Museum
243 Washington Street
Bath Maine 04530
USA

So it appears that your instincts are correct, and whatever source
claimed it was a Reaming Iron was wrong. I doubt that there is a more
qualified expert resource than MMM. Hopefully, Mr Lipfert will find out
what it really is. Or at least, become a dedicated follower of your
"What is it?" website.

--riverman

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
sewiv

#518 is a tamper.

It looks more like an ice spud to me.

--
Sandy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

So it appears that your instincts are correct, and whatever source
claimed it was a Reaming Iron was wrong. I doubt that there is a more
qualified expert resource than MMM. Hopefully, Mr Lipfert will find out
what it really is. Or at least, become a dedicated follower of your
"What is it?" website.

Thanks for checking on that, I'll be interested to see if he can find any
info on it. The seller of this tool also had another very similar one, the
only difference being that the head of it was about 1/4" thick instead of
1". Still too thick to be described as a chisel, yet it was also marked
reaming iron.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

It looks more like an ice spud to me.

I did a search on ice spud and most references that I found mentioned that
it was used as a chisel.

Another possibility is that it could be a sand rammer, used for compacting a
sand base by a stone paver. But those usually weigh 25 pounds or more and
this one isn't near that heavy, but still it looks like it was used for
tamping or compacting.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Matthew Russotto

In article ,
=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Nick_M=FCller?= wrote:
Jeff Wisnia wrote:

But I did run into this mind blowing wris****ch with a "map Measurer"
built right in:

Now this is handy! Imagine a pilot checking a distance on the map while
flying. Without taking the watch off!
White Knuckle Airways, anyone?

If that worries you, don't fly in a small plane. Particularly not in
mountainous areas. The pilot plotting his course on charts spread out
on the right-hand front seat might disturb you.
result in a fully-depreciated one.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Mark & Juanita

On Tue, 29 Nov 2005 20:36:32 GMT, "R.H." wrote:

It looks more like an ice spud to me.

I did a search on ice spud and most references that I found mentioned that
it was used as a chisel.

Another possibility is that it could be a sand rammer, used for compacting a
sand base by a stone paver. But those usually weigh 25 pounds or more and
this one isn't near that heavy, but still it looks like it was used for
tamping or compacting.

Rob

How about a tamping tool for fence posts? When we put in wooden posts
using an auger-type post hole digger, there was about 1/2 to 1" of space
around the post into which the fill had to be packed. In our case, we used
the steering rod from an old Model T, but I suspect that there aren't a
whole lot of those around anymore :-) It may be that what you have was a
custom home-made tool for such a purpose.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
humunculus

It looks like some sort of tamping tool to me, too. But I also wonder
if its some sort of metalworking tool....for some reason, I get this
mental image of this being used to reach into narrow spaces to provide
a backing to hammer rivets against or something. Possibly in a gutter?

How heavy is the head?

Or maybe this is a tool to turn a switch on an overhead fan, like that
mystery item from a few months back? ;-)

--humunculus

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Rich Grise

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:18:31 +0000, R.H. wrote:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

519: signet ring for a large tough guy. ;-)

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:18:31 GMT, "R.H."
scribbled:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

From wreck.wooddorking

515. I have one of those, used for measuring distances on maps. Just
roll it along your course/path, and it will give the distance. this
one is food for only one scale map, mine has a number of scales on it
for topo maps (1:25,000, 1:50,000 & 1:250,000).

515. nubs on flooring?

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Luigi Zanasi

On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:18:31 GMT, "R.H."
scribbled:

This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

from rec.woodworking.

I just remembered what his one is:
520. A gauge for measuring the size of lobsters to ensure they are
within legal limits (or is it crabs).

Luigi
Replace "nonet" with "yukonomics" for real email address
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/humour.html
www.yukonomics.ca/wooddorking/antifaq.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikiped...ct_Woodworking
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
sewiv

R.H. wrote:
This week's set has just been posted:

http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/

521 is a gramophone speaker/tone arm.
522 carpet seam tool? Pie piercer? Dress pattern transfer tool?
523 climbing exercise thingy. The pegs slide in the slots, and you
climb
in a pseudo hand-over-hand fashion.
524 screen thingy
525 wax seal for sealing envelopes
526 "slim jim" for jimmying car doors?

--
Sandy

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

515. By the way, that "map odometer" is formally called an "opisometer".

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
Unknown

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 01:12:38 GMT, Rich Grise wrote:

,;On Thu, 24 Nov 2005 09:18:31 +0000, R.H. wrote:
,;
,; This week's set has just been posted:
,;
,; http://puzzlephotos.blogspot.com/
,;
,;
,;
,;519: signet ring for a large tough guy. ;-)
,;

524 is a tool for replacing window screens that use plastic or rubber
to hold the screen in place. One end forces the screen into the
channel and creates a form for the rubber strip. The second conforms
to the rubber and forces the rubber into the channel thus locking the
screen in place.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

wrote in message
oups.com...
515. By the way, that "map odometer" is formally called an "opisometer".

Thanks, I was wondering if "map odometer" was correct but couldn't find
another term for it.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
R.H.

"humunculus" wrote in message
oups.com...
It looks like some sort of tamping tool to me, too. But I also wonder
if its some sort of metalworking tool....for some reason, I get this
mental image of this being used to reach into narrow spaces to provide
a backing to hammer rivets against or something. Possibly in a gutter?

How heavy is the head?

The head of this tool probably weighs between four and five pounds.

Here is a photo of a couple of sand rammers:

http://www.backyardmetalcasting.com/...f/2rammers.JPG

The head on the larger one looks the same as the tool in my photo, and the
smaller one looks very much like the second reaming iron that I previously
mentioned. The handles are obviously different, but the business ends look
exactly like the number 518.

Rob