Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Default flowmeter plumbing - will this work?

I get tired of asking these "will this work" questions but where I live I'd have
to drive 40 miles to ask this question of a knowledgeable local source. Anyway,
I have a surplus regulator which I've used for some time on a CO2 tank (plumbed
in via an adapter) but which has a connector which threads correctly to e.g. an
argon tank. It is a pressure regulator, though, not a flowmeter, and I want to
use this in GMAW. So I got an Airco flowmeter, removed it's weird POL-like
connector, bushed down the 1/4NPT to 1/8NPTF and put a 2½" 1/8" nipple, and just
threaded that into the flowmeter:
http://www.tinyisland.com/images/temp/flowmeter.jpg

I have never seen a flowmeter cobbled onto the end of a regulator like this. I'm
almost 100% ignorant in this area. Will this work correctly for me? There are
two knobs, one sets the pressure on the regulator, the other on the flowmeter
must be a needle valve, right? So I'd set the regulator to 30 psi on the gauge
and then adjust the knob on the flowmeter to get my desired cubic feet per hour
of argon?

Grant Erwin
Kirkland, Washington
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
[...]

Why it looks just like my scabbed together TIG flowmeter,
except I have a tee between the regulator and flowmeter
with a valve and hose barb on the branch that I use for
clean compressed air instead of air-in-a-can. It'll work
just fine.

Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Dave Lyon

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
[...]

You're flow meter is after the regulator, right? I think that should work.

Be careful what you put in line before the regulator. Standard fittings
aren't designed for 2200 psi.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Wayne Cook

On Thu, 01 Dec 2005 10:16:50 -0800, Grant Erwin
wrote:

[...]

The only problem is knowing what pressure to set the regulator. You
need to know what pressure the flow meter is calibrated for.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding

What pressure is your flowmeter calibrated for? The flowmeter is
operating at the output pressure of your regulator because the needle
valve is on the outlet of the meter and if this is high your actual gas
consumption will be higher than the flowmeter would seem to indicate.
It's sort of like having to know your voltage as well as amps to
calculate wattage.
Possibly the flowmeter manufacturer could furnish this info.
Engineman

Grant Erwin wrote:
[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

wrote:

What pressure is your flowmeter calibrated for? The flowmeter is
operating at the output pressure of your regulator because the needle
valve is on the outlet of the meter and if this is high your actual gas
consumption will be higher than the flowmeter would seem to indicate.
It's sort of like having to know your voltage as well as amps to
calculate wattage.
Possibly the flowmeter manufacturer could furnish this info.
Engineman

It's an Airco flowmeter, it's printed right on the scale, calibrated at 30 psig.
I should have written that earlier, my bad.

GWE

Grant Erwin wrote:

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Tom Gardner

STOP!!! For GOD'S sake, don't put it under pressure...it will rent a hole
in the fabric of the Universe and obliterate EVERYTHING!!! You must destroy
this vile device at once!!!

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,sci.engr.joining.welding
Grant Erwin

Tom Gardner wrote:
STOP!!! For GOD'S sake, don't put it under pressure...it will rent a hole
in the fabric of the Universe and obliterate EVERYTHING!!! You must destroy
this vile device at once!!!

Maybe I should send it off to someone in Ohio?

GWE

[...]

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Don Foreman

wrote:

[...]