Rhino Liner on a mower deck

Old December 5th 03, 10:42 PM
Roy

Default Rhino Liner on a mower deck

Been kicking it around on having my new mower deck Rhino lined both
topside and bottom. What do you all think? I had at one time smeared
a coating of a rubbe rlike material on the underside of my old deck,
in the path and area that gets blasted the most by debri and it seemed
to hold up pretty darn good. I did not take any special steps or even
clean it really well, and it held up for a long time, bout 3 years or
so. Seems to me like a coat or two of Rhino liner could possibly stop
errosion of the deck and rust. and also seal up those joints where
spindle housings etc attach to deck which is always a problem area on
debri and water getting under them and making them rust out.
Just a thought.
Comments appreciated.

Regards
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Old December 5th 03, 11:02 PM
Jimbo

My son had a coating of Rino professionally installed over his truck bed and
tailgate and he just loves it. It's a tough a nails but like anything
else you have to be careful not to rip through the coating.

Jimbo

Old December 6th 03, 12:57 AM
ERich10983

I had it installed on my truck bed. One thing I really like compared to the
drop-in liners is that it isn't slippery. Things stay put. That lack of
slickness might be a problem with a mower deck. It does sound like an
interesting idea. I might be tempted myself.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH
Old December 6th 03, 01:55 AM
jim

Roy wrote:

Been kicking it around on having my new mower deck Rhino lined both
topside and bottom. What do you all think? I had at one time smeared
a coating of a rubbe rlike material on the underside of my old deck,
in the path and area that gets blasted the most by debri and it seemed
to hold up pretty darn good. I did not take any special steps or even
clean it really well, and it held up for a long time, bout 3 years or
so. Seems to me like a coat or two of Rhino liner could possibly stop
errosion of the deck and rust. and also seal up those joints where
spindle housings etc attach to deck which is always a problem area on
debri and water getting under them and making them rust out.
Just a thought.
Comments appreciated.

Regards
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

get a toro with an aluminum deck and you dont have to worry about the
lining....
Old December 6th 03, 02:38 AM
lane

"ERich10983" wrote in message
I had it installed on my truck bed. One thing I really like compared to

the
drop-in liners is that it isn't slippery. Things stay put. That lack of
slickness might be a problem with a mower deck. It does sound like an
interesting idea. I might be tempted myself.

Earle Rich
Mont Vernon, NH

I have to agree with the slippery problem. However my drop in will take more
abuse and not damage the actual bed of the truck than any spray in. I know,
have my drop in sprayed, ya, that's it. May not be such a bad idea really.

Lane

Old December 6th 03, 10:24 AM
woodsy

Problem with your drop in is they shift around just enough to scratch all
the paint off. Take that drop in out in 5 years and see how it looks. All
rust. May as well have not put anything in.

Old December 6th 03, 02:31 PM
Roy

On Sat, 06 Dec 2003 01:55:14 GMT, jim wrote:

===Roy wrote:
===
=== Been kicking it around on having my new mower deck Rhino lined both
=== topside and bottom. What do you all think? I had at one time smeared
=== a coating of a rubbe rlike material on the underside of my old deck,
=== in the path and area that gets blasted the most by debri and it seemed
=== to hold up pretty darn good. I did not take any special steps or even
=== clean it really well, and it held up for a long time, bout 3 years or
=== so. Seems to me like a coat or two of Rhino liner could possibly stop
=== errosion of the deck and rust. and also seal up those joints where
=== spindle housings etc attach to deck which is always a problem area on
=== debri and water getting under them and making them rust out.
=== Just a thought.
=== Comments appreciated.
===
=== Regards
=== Visit my website: http://www.frugalmachinist.com
=== Opinions expressed are those of my wifes,
=== I had no input whatsoever.
=== Remove "nospam" from email addy.
===get a toro with an aluminum deck and you dont have to worry about the
===lining....

Well if TORO made a deck like I have and could do what the tractor I
have is mounted to I may consider it, but I and a lot of others found
out that the alkaline type soils we have here is very very bad on
aluminum. I can drive an aluminum tent peg into the ground and in two
or three months its nothing but a blob of crystalized material
anywhere it was in contact with the soils. I have found this to be a
problem with any aluminum objects around here if its exposed to any of
the dirt. I really don't think TORO makes a LAwn and Garden tractor
with a 54 inch deck that would do what I do with mine, as well as the
other attachments that this tractor uses. Aluminum decks may be fine
for residential use, of on smooth lawns etc but they don't fare to
well out of that environement. I have a Honda Push mower that was
always rised off after use, and its deck corroded through in about 5
years time and had numerous cracks. The outside looked fine, but just
setting in the barn during the off season was all it took.

Old December 6th 03, 04:50 PM
lane

"woodsy" wrote in message
Problem with your drop in is they shift around just enough to scratch all
the paint off. Take that drop in out in 5 years and see how it looks. All
rust. May as well have not put anything in.

Not true!
It is a '94 Ford Ranger with close to 200,000 miles and the liner has been
there from day one being installed by the dealer. The liner has a Ford logo
molded in. I bought the truck from the original owner. I took the liner out
a couple of years ago and was amazed at the condition of the bed. No way it
would look that good without a liner. I'm sold on them.
Lane

Old December 6th 03, 04:53 PM
lane

"Roy" wrote in message
[...]

Plastic is the way to go. I have a Honda mower with a plastic deck. It has
been clobbered with lots and lots of rocks without any problems at all. I
think it is one of the best things to happen to lawn mowers.

Lane

Chimney liner advice Mike A UK diy 3 April 4th 04 08:35 AM
Smelly chimney liner? NickW UK diy 2 November 25th 03 03:21 PM
Book about building your own deck Andy Dingley UK diy 2 August 7th 03 04:29 PM
Deck Construction ? KJR UK diy 3 July 19th 03 10:11 PM