FixerDave

Default silver and deming vs. reduced shank?

Hi,

I was going to ask what a "silver and deming" drill was but thought an
Internet search was in order first. So, I found out that "silver and
deming" comes from the name of a company that was the result of a merger
between the Silver Manufacturing and Deming Manufacturing companies. So,
now I know that "silver and deming" has nothing to do with what the drills
are made of, or for...

But I still don't know why some manufacturers sell "silver and deming"
drills while others sell "reduced shank" drills. What's the difference?

Oh, wait a sec... is it that "reduced shank" drills are reduced down to
fit in a 3/8" chuck and "silver and deming" drills are reduced down to 1/2"
??? Or, is it just some traditionalist verses modern naming convention?

It's no big deal... I use M taper drills but I am curious.

David...

The Davenports

"FixerDave" wrote in message
[...]

Strictly speaking, a "reduced shank" is just and only that. Reduced to
whatever size is needed/wanted/will sell.

A Silver/Deming is reduced to 1/2" diameter and may or may not have three
jaw flats ground on them.

Mike

clare @ snyder.on .ca

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 20:05:47 -0600, "The Davenports"
wrote:

"FixerDave" wrote in message
[...]

Also known as "Drill Press" bits....

Roy

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 17:50:55 -0800, "FixerDave"
wrote:

===Hi,
===
[...]

To me its just the name brand, just like Latrobe or Cleveland. They
were or may have been the first company to market reduced shank bits
and the name stuck.........just like the name Weedeater actually a
name of Poulans, but its associated with all string trimmers no matter
who makes them.
I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.

Bob Powell

"FixerDave" wrote in message ...
[...]

Way back, before drill chucks were cheap and common, many post drills
and hand drills just had a 1/2" round socket with a setscrew to hold a
flatted round shank. Drill any size hole you want so long as your
bit has a 1/2" shank. In fact I have a tray of old drill bits that
have 1/2" shanks even though the bits are all *smaller* than 1/2".
My Cole drill for example. So maybe that is why there is a special
name for 1/2" shank drills.

Bob
Mark Rand

[...]

They'e both blacksmith's drills.