Phil Barone

Default Can I convert 115V to 220?

I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil
Roger Shoaf

"Phil Barone" wrote in message
om...
I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

Sure you can step up the voltage to anything you want but it is going to
cost plenty. First off you are going to have to buy a transformer, and then
since you are asking this question, you will probably need an electrician to
hook it up. Next you are going to have an efficiency loss so you will pay
for extra power every time you run your machine. Notwithstanding the power
loss in converting 110 to 220 you have to have 60 amps at 110 to give you 30
amps at 220. This will require bigger wires and you are back to calling the
electrician.

I would just call the electrician now and get a safe and professional
installation. It won't cost all that much anyway.

--
Roger Shoaf

Bruce L. Bergman

On 24 Nov 2003 20:19:40 -0800, someone who calls themselves
(Phil Barone) wrote:

I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

The odds are very good that your shop (201 East 35th Street · New
York, NY) has a 120V/240V single phase power feed - having only 120V
available is very rare. Although IIRC there are places in the NYC
area that still have two-phase power and other real oddities...

Look in the power panel and see if there are any breakers with two
handles tied together for the water heater, air conditioning, or air
compressor. If there are, you do. Or call ConEd and ask what they're
feeding you (at least when the lights are on... ;-) they should have
it in their records.

If you don't want to spend a lot of money before you relocate, you
can have them put in a 30A 240V breaker and a wall receptacle right
below the panel, you can leave it when you go. Then you can make up a
heavy extension cord to where the shrink-wrap machine will be sitting.
(Be sure to unplug and store the cord when not in use.)

-- Bruce --
--
Bruce L. Bergman, POB 394, Woodland Hills CA 91365, USA
Electrician, Westend Electric (#726700) Agoura, CA

WARNING: UCE Spam E-mail is not welcome here. I report violators.
SpamBlock In Use - Remove the "Python" with a "net" to E-Mail.
Ernie Leimkuhler

In article , Phil
Barone wrote:

I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

Could you just use a small generator temporarily.
A 5000 watt generator only costs about $500 at Costco.

That should be able to power your machine.

Gunner

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:31:40 -0800, "Roger Shoaf"
wrote:

"Phil Barone" wrote in message
. com...
[...]

If he needs single phase..Ive got some pretty decent large
transformers available.

Gunner

"The British attitude is to treat society like a game preserve where a
certain percentage of the 'antelope' are expected to be eaten by the
"lions".
Christopher Morton
DoN. Nichols

In article ,
Phil Barone wrote:
I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

You have to realize that if you double the voltage with a
transformer, you halve the amps at the output. Most 110V outlets are
rated at 15A, or if you are lucky, at 20A. This means that you will
only have 7.5A or 10A at the output of the transformer -- assuming that
you can find one big enough.

Now -- most houses actually have 220 brought into the house, and
half of the loads are run from one side, and half from the other. So
you might be able to add a 30A 220V circuit breaker in your service
panel, and wire it to a proper outlet. (Or have an electrician do it, to
be on the safe side.) There was an thread here about a month ago about
some product which really plugged into two different outlets around the
house until you found a pair which would give 220V between them -- but
those will give you no more current than your circuit breakers are set
for, which are most likely 15A, unless there is some heavy wiring there.

You can check whether you have an electric clothes dryer. If you
do, it is almost certainly plugged into a 220V outlet -- but it probably
will only be 20A, not 30A, unless you are very lucky.

So -- your choices a

1) Get someone to wire it properly with a new breaker (assuming
that your house is not one of the very few very old ones with
only 110 brought in).

2) Do it yourself -- but from the way you asked the question, I
suspect that this is not a good idea. If you knew how to do
this safely, you would not need to ask the question.)

3) Get a heavy-duty gas powered emergency generator with 220V 30A
output. Beware that this will probably be a rather expensive
way to go -- gasoline costs more than electricity --and that
many of these generators are not designed for a long service
life.

4) Move to the bigger space *now*.

Good Luck,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
DoN. Nichols

wrote:

"Phil Barone" wrote in message
.com...
I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

[ ... ]

I would just call the electrician now and get a safe and professional
installation. It won't cost all that much anyway.

If he needs single phase..Ive got some pretty decent large
transformers available.

Yes, I'm sure that you do -- but does he have a 60A 120V outlet
to plug it into? He'll need 60A at 110V to get 30A at 220V. As Rodger
Shoaf said in what I snipped.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
lane

"Phil Barone" wrote in message
om...
I'm buying a skin packaging machine and have never needed 220 before.
I'll probably be moving to a bigger space so it doesn't pay for me to
have it installed and all. Does anyone know if there's a transformer
that will accomplish this? I found one but it will only maintain 20
amps and I need something like 30. Any help will be greatly
appreciated. Phil

Phil

You are a metalworking master! Your web site is very nice and no doubt your
metalworking is superior! I have great admiration for musical instrument
metal workers.

All you need to do is call an electrician. Tell him where you want the 220V
and it will be a simple job for him. No transformer needed. He simply runs
some new wires from your breaker panel.

Best of luck to you in your endeavors.
Lane

PS To the rest of the NG, check out http://www.philbarone.com