DOC

Default mild steel question

I am making up the screw for a milling machine vice.

For the material, I follow the usual procedure. Go look in
my stash and select a piece that's about the right size.

So I have no real idea what kind of steel this is. But it seems
awfully soft!

I'm turning it within centers and the center drill holes have deformed
slightly. Other parts have deformed a lot easier than I would expect.

It's probably tough enough to do the job, but it just seems TOO soft.

So I am thinking about starting again.

What steel "should" I use? Other thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

DOC

Robin S.

"DOC" wrote in message
.. .

What steel "should" I use? Other thoughts?

Given that it's fairly common in the tooling industry, 4140 is quite tough
and wear resistant even when soft. It's hardenable as well, but you may
have issues with functionality unless you can grind a (hardened) thread.

Regards,

Robin

John

DOC wrote:

I am making up the screw for a milling machine vice.

For the material, I follow the usual procedure. Go look in
my stash and select a piece that's about the right size.

So I have no real idea what kind of steel this is. But it seems
awfully soft!

I'm turning it within centers and the center drill holes have deformed
slightly. Other parts have deformed a lot easier than I would expect.

It's probably tough enough to do the job, but it just seems TOO soft.

So I am thinking about starting again.

What steel "should" I use? Other thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

DOC

Id use the MSC catalog and order an acme screw and nut already made and
just turn the ends to match what you need for connecting the handles
and stuff.

John
Gunner

On Tue, 15 Nov 2005 21:59:44 -0500, John
wrote:

DOC wrote:

I am making up the screw for a milling machine vice.

For the material, I follow the usual procedure. Go look in
my stash and select a piece that's about the right size.

So I have no real idea what kind of steel this is. But it seems
awfully soft!

I'm turning it within centers and the center drill holes have deformed
slightly. Other parts have deformed a lot easier than I would expect.

It's probably tough enough to do the job, but it just seems TOO soft.

So I am thinking about starting again.

What steel "should" I use? Other thoughts?

Thanks for your help.

DOC

Id use the MSC catalog and order an acme screw and nut already made and
just turn the ends to match what you need for connecting the handles
and stuff.

John

Ayup..anything else is madness..or a lesson you may not want to learn.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Pizza stone vs chunk of stainless or mild steel. Bart D. Hull Metalworking 6 February 14th 05 11:57 PM
Source for mild steel strip? Glenn Ashmore Metalworking 6 January 29th 05 12:45 AM
Welding stainless to mild steel -- Ernie? Don Foreman Metalworking 11 January 13th 05 10:18 AM
Old Steel - New Steel Jim Stewart Metalworking 29 April 5th 04 10:24 PM
Concrete Floor Question E5I5O Home Repair 9 February 17th 04 02:28 PM