lens

Default 4130 steel for lathe chuck backplate?

I want to make a backplate for a 5" Bison 4 independent jaw chuck (the
one recently on sale at Enco). I've read that cast iron is preferred
for this, but since my spindle is not threaded (Wabeco D3000E lathe) I
don't have to worry about galling threads. Online Metals will sell me a
4" x 1" disk of 4130 alloy steel for $17. That is cheaper than any of
the rough-cast backplates I can buy and I won't have to make a pile of
iron dust. It appears that 4030 is the only material they sell in a 4"
diameter. So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chuck really only needs a 4" back "plug" since the recess on the
back of the chuck is only 3" in diameter and the mounting holes are
within that circle. The lathe spindle plate is under 4"

xmradio

"lens" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to make a backplate for a 5" Bison 4 independent jaw chuck (the
one recently on sale at Enco). I've read that cast iron is preferred
for this, but since my spindle is not threaded (Wabeco D3000E lathe) I
don't have to worry about galling threads. Online Metals will sell me a
4" x 1" disk of 4130 alloy steel for $17. That is cheaper than any of
the rough-cast backplates I can buy and I won't have to make a pile of
iron dust. It appears that 4030 is the only material they sell in a 4"
diameter. So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chuck really only needs a 4" back "plug" since the recess on the
back of the chuck is only 3" in diameter and the mounting holes are
within that circle. The lathe spindle plate is under 4"

4130 can be used for axles, etc.. for high strength...

I got a couple of back plates for 6" chucks, they are made of steel. Don't
know what kind.

Have not heard of cast iron for back plates...

xman

Harold and Susan Vordos

"lens" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to make a backplate for a 5" Bison 4 independent jaw chuck (the
one recently on sale at Enco). I've read that cast iron is preferred
for this, but since my spindle is not threaded (Wabeco D3000E lathe) I
don't have to worry about galling threads. Online Metals will sell me a
4" x 1" disk of 4130 alloy steel for $17. That is cheaper than any of
the rough-cast backplates I can buy and I won't have to make a pile of
iron dust. It appears that 4030 is the only material they sell in a 4"
diameter. So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chuck really only needs a 4" back "plug" since the recess on the
back of the chuck is only 3" in diameter and the mounting holes are
within that circle. The lathe spindle plate is under 4"

If you don't mind machining the material (not bad, but tougher than mild
steel), there's not much wrong with the choice. Cast iron is used for its
dampening qualities, so you minimize chatter. You might encourage a
little more with chrome moly, but I can't imagine it will make a significant
difference for your application. I imagine you mean 4130, not 4030?

Harold

spaco

I think mild steel would work just fine. Why not just go to the closest
welding shop and get a 4 inch square of 1" plate and turn it round?

Pete Stanaitis
-------------------

lens wrote:
I want to make a backplate for a 5" Bison 4 independent jaw chuck (the
one recently on sale at Enco). I've read that cast iron is preferred
for this, but since my spindle is not threaded (Wabeco D3000E lathe) I
don't have to worry about galling threads. Online Metals will sell me a
4" x 1" disk of 4130 alloy steel for $17. That is cheaper than any of
the rough-cast backplates I can buy and I won't have to make a pile of
iron dust. It appears that 4030 is the only material they sell in a 4"
diameter. So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chuck really only needs a 4" back "plug" since the recess on the
back of the chuck is only 3" in diameter and the mounting holes are
within that circle. The lathe spindle plate is under 4"

Bob Engelhardt

No answer for "lens", but another question about chuck backing plates:
Why are they so expensive? They're just a hunk of cast iron. Enco
(Bison brand): 6" plain (no threads) $46; 6" threaded $54. I'll bet the
Chinese could make one to sell for $5. Bob

Richard J Kinch

lens writes:

So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chief advantages of cast iron are low cost, and easy machinability.

How about a cast iron barbell weight from Wal-Mart? I know a recent thread
was critical of this material, but I would give it a try.

Couple of reasons for using cast iron. The gray stuff is usually a lot
easier to machine than steel, it's somewhat softer so it doesn't wear
the spindle threads and has a somewhat more damping effect on
vibrations than steel does. If you ding it, it doesn't raise burrs,
either. Castings are usually cheaper to make out of iron than steel,
too. I've gotten disks of gray continuous cast from MSC to make
backplates for my 7x chucks, those are stud mounted. I've made
threaded backplates for a South Bend from hot-rolled flame-cut slugs
from a crane outfit, too. Cleaning off the flame-cut surface wasn't
fun.

Stan

Cast iron is much stiffer than steel, so it won't allow the
chuck to twist out of axis when taking heavier cuts. In this case, the
steel plate will be such a small diameter and rather thick that it
might work.

Dan

Dave Lyon

"Richard J Kinch" wrote in message
. ..
lens writes:

So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chief advantages of cast iron are low cost, and easy machinability.

Cast iron is also very stable if aged properly. That's why you see it used
in angle plates and such.

Richard W.

"lens" wrote in message
oups.com...
I want to make a backplate for a 5" Bison 4 independent jaw chuck (the
one recently on sale at Enco). I've read that cast iron is preferred
for this, but since my spindle is not threaded (Wabeco D3000E lathe) I
don't have to worry about galling threads. Online Metals will sell me a
4" x 1" disk of 4130 alloy steel for $17. That is cheaper than any of
the rough-cast backplates I can buy and I won't have to make a pile of
iron dust. It appears that 4030 is the only material they sell in a 4"
diameter. So will 4130 work acceptably for machining a backplate or is
this a bad idea?

The chuck really only needs a 4" back "plug" since the recess on the
back of the chuck is only 3" in diameter and the mounting holes are
within that circle. The lathe spindle plate is under 4"

That will work fine. I made some years ago out of steel for a 12" lathe.
Worked great.