cut pipes to weld a "T"

Old November 3rd 03, 05:05 PM
Karl Townsend

Default cut pipes to weld a "T"

I need a "T" made out of two six inch 1/8" wall thickness pipes.

I need a way to mark a chalk line on each pipe so I can cut it with a torch
and then fit the two together and weld.

I did a layout like this in drafting class thirty years ago. Made each piece
out of paper. Cut them out and wrapped around the pipe to mark the lines. I
don't remember much else about it.

Anyone know how this is done?

Karl

Old November 3rd 03, 05:22 PM
Ben

Look up tube mitering on google or go to these links and see the tube
mitering download links
ftp://ftp.ihpva.org/pub/software/index.html
http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/...ng/tubemit.htm

Ben

ink.net...

Old November 3rd 03, 09:24 PM
Karl Townsend

"Ben" wrote in message
Look up tube mitering on google or go to these links and see the tube
mitering download links
ftp://ftp.ihpva.org/pub/software/index.html
http://www.ihpva.org/people/tstrike/...ng/tubemit.htm

I've just ****ed away 1 1/2 hours trying to get something to work here. The
first link needs a postscript printer - ain't got it.

The second link, tubemiter.exe prints out the paper copy of the tube miter
fit to an 8 1/2 x 11 paper, not to scale.

Another link on down the page, winmiter.exe has the same problem. Maybe
there's something I don't know about printer setup here????

The link talking about an excel spreadsheet feeding AutoCAD would be just
GREAT, but the link don't point to it. Points to some page about building
bicycles.

Anybody know of something else, or the old fashioned way with paper and a
drafting machine?

Karl

Old November 3rd 03, 10:29 PM
Grant Erwin

The real old-fashioned way, Karl, is to clamp the pipes in a T and
use a long piece of soapstone to scribe one off the other, then
cut it, clean up the cut, reclamp, and scribe the other off the
first, then make that cut, clean up, fit and weld. I've seen
shipyard pipefitters do that hundreds of times.

Grant

Old November 3rd 03, 10:33 PM
Tom Kendrick

Does this joint need to be capable of passing liquid or air?
How much mechanical load should the joint support?
It would appear that the pipe approaching the side of the other pipe
requires a fishmouth cut. If no connection is required, the other pipe
can be left as is.
If liquid must flow, the other pipe will require a matching joint to
receive the fishmouthed end.

Old November 4th 03, 12:29 AM
woodsy

Using paper, I'd imagine a compass would be involved to draw a half circle.
Thats about all I can come up with for now. Too lazy to do much thinking at
the moment.

Old November 4th 03, 01:29 AM
JTMcC

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message
ink.net...
I need a "T" made out of two six inch 1/8" wall thickness pipes.

I need a way to mark a chalk line on each pipe so I can cut it with a

torch
and then fit the two together and weld.

I did a layout like this in drafting class thirty years ago. Made each

piece
out of paper. Cut them out and wrapped around the pipe to mark the lines.

don't remember much else about it.

Anyone know how this is done?

Karl

I know how it's done and have to do it regularly as part of the 12 on 12
inverted branch test, which is a common welding test in the pipe field. But,
it's pretty hard to describe, at least for me, your best bet is to buy one
of two small books, "Blue Book of Fitters...Welders Pattern and Layout
Manual" by H.G. Thorsness or "The Pipe Fitters and Pipe Welders Handbook" by
Thomas W. Frankland. Both show the steps to lay out a branch as well as many
other things. Or, you can buy store bought patterns, or, you can try one of
the online sources mentioned tho you seem to not have had any luck there.
Another alternative if you have time on your hands, is to just start
whittling away until it fits.

regards,
JTMcC.

Old November 4th 03, 02:00 AM
Ken Moffett

Karl Townsend wrote:

"Ben" wrote in message
[...]

I just ran your dimensions on Tubemiter. The units are mm, so you have
to convert from inches to mm. The printout was only 1/2 the template, so
you need to run it twice and paste them together. I didn't try it, but
it looks about right.

I also ran your dimensions on Winmiter. Again, the printout was only 1/2
(in landscape mode) the template. But print and paste two copies and you
have a whole template.

I did overlay the printouts from both programs, and they match very
closely.
Old November 4th 03, 02:47 AM
Dan Caster

Another old fashioned way is to use something fairly stiff as some
heavy gasket material to hold on the pipe in what you think is the
right shape and mark it with soapstone. Cut with oxy/acet, see how
much you missed it by and mark again using the guide. A piece of four
or six inch wide flat belt a couple of feet long would work real well.

With six inch dia pipe, the deepest part ought to be 3 inches in from
a straight cut end.

Dan

Old November 4th 03, 02:54 AM
Dan Caster

I would also suggest you ask at Sci.engr.joining.welding. There are a
lot of pipe welders there.

Dan

"Karl Townsend" wrote in message Anyone know how this is done?

Karl

Earth Bondng Adrian Simpson UK diy 8 March 21st 04 11:58 PM
Water Pipes PoP UK diy 6 December 17th 03 02:50 PM
Question for the weld people out in cyberland Koz Metalworking 3 October 17th 03 02:21 AM