Ivan Vegvary

Default Office chair (metal) repair

I have two identical office chairs. The air-shock in one of the chairs will
not hold air. Is this repairable? Do they come apart and have replaceable
seals? All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Larry Jaques

On Sun, 23 Oct 2005 00:30:53 GMT, with neither quill nor qualm, "Ivan
Vegvary" quickly quoth:

I have two identical office chairs. The air-shock in one of the chairs will
not hold air. Is this repairable? Do they come apart and have replaceable
seals? All advice appreciated.

Most I've seen are welded units. For repair, one has to replace the
entire shock. sigh

--
Strong like ox, smart like tractor.
----------------------------------
Jeff Wisnia

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have two identical office chairs. The air-shock in one of the chairs will
not hold air. Is this repairable? Do they come apart and have replaceable
seals? All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

If only one person is using it and is willing to live with it set at a
fixed height, you can probably easily figure out ow to pin it at that
height with a bolt through a drilled hole, or maybe slip a piece of pipe
or tubing cut to the right length over it to keep it up at the desired
height.

HTH,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
I have two identical office chairs. The air-shock in one of the chairs will
not hold air. Is this repairable? Do they come apart and have replaceable
seals? All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Kragen's and various other auto supply stores used to sell a device
that is like a short piece of rubber hose with two hoseclamps on it.
Place the device on your air-shock and tighten one clamp on the
cylinder and the other on the piston rod. Adjust till you get the
desired holding power.
Engineman

Roger Shoaf

On the chairs I have seen, (Steelcase) they use a nitrogen filled piston
very similar to the things on newer cars that keep the hood, trunk or
hatchback open. To repair these you replace the whole piston. I would
price the piston from the office supply place, and then take the piston to
the local auto parts house and see if they have a match at a whole lot
better price.

Do nr attempt to open the old piston. At least that's what it says on the
outside. I would trust that warning as from the looks of them you would
never be able to get it back together and recharge that puppy.

--
Roger Shoaf
"Ivan Vegvary" wrote in message
I have two identical office chairs. The air-shock in one of the chairs

will
not hold air. Is this repairable? Do they come apart and have

replaceable
seals? All advice appreciated.

Ivan Vegvary

Ivan Vegvary

Thanks everyone for the thoughtful reply.
Driving a bolt through he assembly to maintain my favorite setting had not
occurred to me. But, that's why this group is so wonderful!!

Ivan Vegvary
"Roger Shoaf" wrote in message
[...]

Fred R

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful reply.
Driving a bolt through he assembly to maintain my favorite setting had not
occurred to me. But, that's why this group is so wonderful!!

Ivan Vegvary

Just don't drill the hole through the pressurized part! Could be
'exciting', as in a ride with lights and sirens blaring. A pipe clamp
might be a good thing.

--
Fred R
________________
Don Foreman

On Mon, 24 Oct 2005 22:09:25 GMT, Fred R "spam
wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful reply.
Driving a bolt through he assembly to maintain my favorite setting had not
occurred to me. But, that's why this group is so wonderful!!

Ivan Vegvary

Just don't drill the hole through the pressurized part! Could be
'exciting', as in a ride with lights and sirens blaring. A pipe clamp
might be a good thing.

Such drama! Just use a small drill (1/16" or so), with work in vise
on a drillpress, wearing a face shield. It'll go PSSSsssss and then
the pressure will be gone and you can then drill to size.

Roger Shoaf

wrote:

Ivan Vegvary wrote:
Thanks everyone for the thoughtful reply.
Driving a bolt through he assembly to maintain my favorite setting had

not
occurred to me. But, that's why this group is so wonderful!!

Ivan Vegvary

Just don't drill the hole through the pressurized part! Could be
'exciting', as in a ride with lights and sirens blaring. A pipe clamp
might be a good thing.

Such drama! Just use a small drill (1/16" or so), with work in vise
on a drillpress, wearing a face shield. It'll go PSSSsssss and then
the pressure will be gone and you can then drill to size.

Why bother with that? Just remove the device and insert a dummy rod the
appropriate length. If you insert a pin into the side of the thin wall
cylinder, then all your weight is going to be supported by only a thin
section of the cylinder. That seems likely to fail.

--
Roger Shoaf