Leo Reed

Default Gearbox ventilation...

Now, I've run into another situation that does not seem right. The
gearbox on my post hole digger has never been used. It was stored for
about 6 years.

When (about a month ago) I decided to assemble it, I added a teacup of
90w gearoil to the gearbox. (the label said it was dry, add oil) I only
put that small amount in order to flush out any debris that may have
accumulated while in storage.

Today, when I opened the drain to flush out the oil, so as to add new,
the plug popped out, the oil was under pressure.

Which brings up my questions... Should there be a relief hole in the
box? If not, won't the pressure rupture the seals?

Help, I'm treading in unknown waters, here!

Leo (pearland, tx)

Erik Litchy

Leo Reed wrote:

Now, I've run into another situation that does not seem right. The
gearbox on my post hole digger has never been used. It was stored for
about 6 years.

When (about a month ago) I decided to assemble it, I added a teacup of
90w gearoil to the gearbox. (the label said it was dry, add oil) I only
put that small amount in order to flush out any debris that may have
accumulated while in storage.

Today, when I opened the drain to flush out the oil, so as to add new,
the plug popped out, the oil was under pressure.

Which brings up my questions... Should there be a relief hole in the
box? If not, won't the pressure rupture the seals?

Help, I'm treading in unknown waters, here!

Leo (pearland, tx)

if it really bothered you you could use one of theose brass vents that
look like a cut wire.

roof ventilation Johan UK diy 2 December 10th 03 09:49 PM
Roof space ventilation Christian McArdle UK diy 6 December 2nd 03 09:21 AM
Loft space ventilation for these hot summer days David W.E. Roberts UK diy 2 July 16th 03 10:18 PM