Allan Adler

Default jigs and fixtures

I've finished reading Joe Martin's book, Tabletop Machining, and also
The Mini Power Tool Handbook, by Taylor and Bullock. Now I'd
like to read a book about how one designs jigs and fixtures in metal
work. I found a lot of books on jigs and fixtures by searching at Amazon.
Some of them clearly identify the book as being for woodworking. I didn't
find any that clearly identify the book as being for metal work. Maybe that
doesn't matter but I think it probably does.

Can someone recommend some books that explain how one designs jigs and
fixtures for metal work?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *
Robin S.

A jig is guided BY THE CUTTING TOOL (not, the jig guides the cutting tool).
A jig is not really ever clamped to the machine (in my _very_ limited
experience), it moves over the drill press table freely and must be used by
an operator.

You typically only find jigs as drilling or similar types. Basically, the
jig will locate the work in relation to the drill bushings, support the work
as needed, and clamp the work. The cutting tool will typically enter through
a bushing ("drill bushing") which is typically pressed into the jig's body.
The holes into which the bushings are pressed are precisely located in
relation to the jigs datums (sometimes the holes are bored using a "jig
borer"). A jig may be seen as a template.

You can also ream, bore, tap, counter sink, counter bore, etc. with a jig.

The fixture, however, is much more diverse. Fixtures only locate, support
and clamp (like a jig) the work, but the cutting tool never touches the
fixture, at least directly (unlike a jig). Fixtures are clamped to the
machine (if being used in conjunction with a machine).

A vice is a fixture, a very versatile one at that. However, tool and die
makers, machinists, designers and engineers create specialized fixtures for
only certain parts or groups of parts. Fixtures can be used in milling,
turning, gauging, etc. You will typically only see specialized fixtures in
mass production although in some cases, a one-off part may be so oddly
shaped that on must create a special fixture just to machine one part (not
very common).

Fixtures typically include reference surfaces to set the machine off of.
Horizontal (not CNC) milling fixtures, for instance, may have a *gage* which
is a piece of ground steel to set the cutter off of (normally some type of
shim stock or gage stock is used between the *gage* and the milling cutter
such that the operator can *feel* the fit between the two). In this case,
the gage would set the cutter on the Y-Z plane as the X axis does not have a
datum.

My explanations are lacking and probably hard to understand. You can read
this text:
Jig and Fixture Design, 4th Edition. Hoffman, Edward G.. Delmar Publishers,
1996.

Any half decent shop guide should give you a good idea as to how these
things work. I don't mean shop guides for home machinists, but rather for
aspiring machinists, tool and die makers, mould makers, etc. The text should
include the phrase, "machine technology" ;-) Your local vocational college's
library should have a half decent selection

HTH.

Regards,

Robin

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

I've finished reading Joe Martin's book, Tabletop Machining, and also
The Mini Power Tool Handbook, by Taylor and Bullock. Now I'd
like to read a book about how one designs jigs and fixtures in metal
work. I found a lot of books on jigs and fixtures by searching at Amazon.
Some of them clearly identify the book as being for woodworking. I didn't
find any that clearly identify the book as being for metal work. Maybe

that
doesn't matter but I think it probably does.

Can someone recommend some books that explain how one designs jigs and
fixtures for metal work?

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

*

*
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial

*
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect

*
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston

*
* metropolitan area.

*
*

*

Mike Henry

You might want to keep an eye out for "Jigs and Fixtures" by Colvin & Haas
and published by McGraw-Hill Book Company. The copy I have is copyrighted
1943, but also bears dates going back to 1913. You should be able to find a
copy for $10 or so.

[...]

Larry Jaques

On 22 Oct 2003 18:24:42 -0400, Allan Adler
pixelated:

I've finished reading Joe Martin's book, Tabletop Machining, and also

Hmmm...

Can someone recommend some books that explain how one designs jigs and
fixtures for metal work?

I found "Jig and Fixture Design" by Edward G. Hoffman at Hamilton
Books last year, sight unseen. It turns out that it's an all metalwork
book vs. a woodworking jig book. It appears to be a textbook since he
talks about students. He has written 17 books about tools and
manufacturing engineering. 334 pages, paperback, 8x10", 1991.

Want to trade for Martin's book? I can't find a copy of that locally.

- Metaphors Be With You -
http://diversify.com Web Application Programming
Allan Adler

I've finished reading Edward G. Hoffman's book, Jig and Fixture Design,
3d ed, and enjoyed it. I didn't do any of the exercises, and may need to
work through it again sometime more carefully, but I feel better informed
than I did before I read it.

I've also finished reading Gingery's book on the metal lathe. I think I
learned a lot from it, and will continue to do so. I've ordered the remaining
books in the series on building your own metal working shop from scrap metal
and am looking forward to reading them. Meanwhile, I've started reading and
thinking about the book on the Li'l Bertha electric shop furnace.

Ignorantly,
Allan Adler

* *
* Disclaimer: I am a guest and *not* a member of the MIT Artificial *
* Intelligence Lab. My actions and comments do not reflect *
* in any way on MIT. Moreover, I am nowhere near the Boston *
* metropolitan area. *
* *

Ed Huntress

"Allan Adler" wrote in message

I've finished reading Edward G. Hoffman's book, Jig and Fixture Design,
3d ed, and enjoyed it. I didn't do any of the exercises, and may need to
work through it again sometime more carefully, but I feel better informed
than I did before I read it.

I've also finished reading Gingery's book on the metal lathe. I think I
learned a lot from it, and will continue to do so. I've ordered the

remaining
books in the series on building your own metal working shop from scrap

metal
and am looking forward to reading them. Meanwhile, I've started reading

and
thinking about the book on the Li'l Bertha electric shop furnace.

What aspects of metalworking are you most interested in, Allan? Those are
both interesting books, but they're aimed in very different directions. Is
there something in particular you're looking for?

Ed Huntress

Pep674

I've also finished reading Gingery's book on the metal lathe. I think I
learned a lot from it, and will continue to do so. I've ordered the remaining
books in the series on building your own metal working shop from scrap metal
and am looking forward to reading them.

Some of the most interesting reading......
Then get some of the HSM hardbounds. I like the"Shop Wisdom of Philip Duclos"'

Paul in AJ AZ