BEAR

Default New Krylon Spray Paint - Don't Bake It??

The new breed of Krylon Spray paint - remember how it was 25 years ago,
all thin and runny but fast drying?? Well, I put some on a transformer
end bell(metal content) which was primed and baked @225F for ~1.5 hrs
and then air cooled a while, and then baked the nice RED Krylon coat.

It came out with nice tiny tiny bubble marks on a large part of it.

Not sure if it was outgassing from the primer making its way up
(automotive "sanding primer", grey) or if this is what the new Krylon
does?? Anyone got experience with this?

Btw, the "paint" appears to be a self leveling plastic thing - the
finish is fairly amazing in that regard, and the final product feels
"plasticy" imho. Cool stuff in that it's not "paint" that i can see.

_-_-bear

PS. just resanded the bubbles and recoated - air dry this time.
Tim Shoppa

It came out with nice tiny tiny bubble marks on a large part of it.

If it's truly "tiny tiny" and not actually bubbles, then it might be
the "orange peel" effect. With other brands of spray paint this is
caused by the paint being clumpy when sprayed, and the clumps dry too
quick before they really level nicely. Heating up the spray-paint can
to "warm water" temperature is usually the cure.

Otherwise I suspect that baking @225F caused the outer skin to dry out
before the inner skin had outgassed enough. Not necessarily the
primer, it could have been the bottom of the finish coat.

I usually do my baking at lower temps (140-150F) and longer times.

Tim.

Leo Lichtman

"Tim Shoppa" wrote: (clip) Heating up the spray-paint can to "warm water"
temperature is usually the cure.(clip)
I like to hold the can in a stream of hot water under the tap, and shake it
so I hear the ball rattle. This mixes the paint, thins it, and raises the
propellant pressure all at the same time.

Don't do what a friend of mine did, though. He put the spray can in a
coffee can of water, and put it on the stove to heat. Then he went outside
to talk to a friend, "just for a minute." The bottom blew out of the spray
can, and it flew like a rocket and broke the ceiling, spraying red paint all
over the area. In addition, it bulged the bottom of the coffee can so hard
against the stove grate that it broke it.