Tom Quackenbush

Default OT, sorta - Eyeglass frames, what alloy?

I just picked up my new eyeglasses (quoting Errol, "WooHoo!!!" - I
can see again). The frames are a from a model line called "Flexon, by
Marchon".

Now, I don't pay a whole lot of attention to eyeglass frames, I
don't have a clue what's stylish, etc. When I told the salesman I
wanted something sturdy, he walked over, picked up a pair of these
frames & twisted them beyond recognition. When he released his grip,
they popped right back to their original shape! It kind of amazed me
and I bought them on the spot (I really could have used frames like
this when I was a kid).

After looking on the Web, I _think_ they're made from some sort of
nickel-titanium alloy, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what type of alloy this is and what other
applications it may be being used for?

BTW, now that I have new glasses and a new monitor, you can expect
fewer errors in my posts. Keep in mind the old saying, " you can
expect in one hand and . . .".

R,
Tom Q
Roy

I don;t know a thing about what alloys the frames may be made of buy 9
out of 10 times when I bust a pair and take them to be repaired, it
always seems like they can't ever get them fixed. I know through the
years that I have tried numerous things to fix busted frames and never
had success or very rarely at all. Just last week or so I drug out my
favorite latest pair of glasses that I broke a month ago, and decided
to see what I could do with them. I tried various solders and fluzes,
no luck. I then tried some fine wire filler that a friend gave me to a
while back that he uses to braze or silver solder carbide onto steel
and also for brazing bandsaw blades. Used the smallest tip on my
Prestolite torch and viola, the factory could not have made a better
joint. Now I too am happy that I can see again.

I was tempted to buy a pair of the frames like you described, but the
place I had no choice in using for my glasses due to it being the only
place locally that was covered by my insurance was just too high of $$
for me, but the more I look at it in the long run, it can save money.
Frames are always the weakest link, and as far as fashion goes, I wore
the standard issue birth control glasses for close to 30 years while
in the military, so style does nothing for me, as its usually the dogs
and the wife that sees me all the time anyhow.

Too bad they don't make car fenders and body panels out of that stuff!

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:52:41 -0400, Tom Quackenbush
wrote:

=== I just picked up my new eyeglasses (quoting Errol, "WooHoo!!!" - I
===can see again). The frames are a from a model line called "Flexon, by
===Marchon".
===
[...]

I had no input whatsoever.
Remove "nospam" from email addy.
Leo Lichtman

Tom Quackenbush wrote: (clip) When he released his grip, they popped right
back to their original shape! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
One feature I absolutely insist on in my glasses is the spring-hinge. If
you pull the temples on my glasses away from each other, instead of
destroying the hinges, you get "overtravel." And when the temples are
released, they go back to position with no damage.

I wish that would help me see better, but it doesn't. G

Ed Huntress

"Tom Quackenbush" wrote in message
[...]

Flexon is a binary nickel-titanium shape-memory alloy that exhibits an odd
property called pseudoelasticity.

One-way thermal shape-memory and pseudoelasticity go hand-in-hand. If you
want to know more about these interesting materials, look up
pseudoelasticity on Google. I checked, plenty of info is there.

In 1980, I wrote a report about the copper-alloy shape-memory alloys, which
have similar behavior. They were being used to make self-shrinking tubing
joints, vent actuators for greenhouses, and several other off-the-wall
applications. At that time I expected to see a lot more new applications
coming along. There haven't been many, but the pseudoelasticity, rather than
the thermal shape-memory, seems to be the attractive feature these days.

A good discussion of thermal shape-memory alloys is available at:

http://www.sma-inc.com/SMAPaper.html

It doesn't include much if anything on pseudoelasticity, however. There's a
brief discussion of the latter at:

http://www.mete.metu.edu.tr/Faciliti...ext/Pseudo.htm

....but you'll find more if you look into it on Google.

They're a bitch to machine, BTW.

--
Ed Huntress
(remove "3" from email address for email reply)

skuke

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:52:41 -0400, Tom Quackenbush wrote:

After looking on the Web, I _think_ they're made from some sort of
nickel-titanium alloy, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what type of alloy this is and what other
applications it may be being used for?

I think you have eyeglass frames made from NiTiNOL. That's a
"memory shape" alloy of Ti and Nickel developed by the Naval Ordinance Labs
(NiTiNOL)(defense department). The plastic property shown in your eyeglass
frame is unique to that material (NiTiNOL). Incidently, the temperature that
the material behaves like a spring and has "memory" can be set to different
points. Your glasses are set for normal "room temp". It could set so that
you mangle the frame, then "repair" it by dipping in boiling (or very hot)
water.

The medical industry uses NiTiNol for stents and the like. The place I
worked at used NiTiNol as a frame for a filter that is inserted into your
aorta (major vessel coming off your heart) during cardiac surgery. The frame
and filter material was drawn back into a syringe looking device and
deployed into your aorta. Once deployed, it "sprang" into shape filling the
interior circumferance of your aorta. It was then drawn back into the
syringe at the appropriate time for removal. Basically, any spring tempered
material can do the job, but NiTiNol also has positive biocompatability
properties. Most spring materials have too much iron and carbon and would
react adversely in the blood. It would rust, basically.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

skuke

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:43:35 GMT, Ed Huntress wrote:

They're a bitch to machine, BTW.

I didn't think it was any worse than, say, 316 SST. Not a day at the beach,
but it certainly could have been a tougher to machine.

That being said, I also don't recall which "flavor" I was cutting.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Ed Huntress

"skuke" wrote in message
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:43:35 GMT, Ed Huntress wrote:

They're a bitch to machine, BTW.

I didn't think it was any worse than, say, 316 SST. Not a day at the

beach,
but it certainly could have been a tougher to machine.

If you don't think 316 is bad, you're a better man than me, Skuke. g I do
not like machining 300-Series stainless. It brings back ugly memories of
drilling 304 and 316 for days with a Herbert turret lathe, making sure my
concentration never broke and that I kept the pressure on.

I was speaking from experience only with the copper-based shape-memory
alloys, however. The Copper Council gave me some pieces of that when I was
working on an article, and I turned some in my South Bend lathe. It was like
aluminum-bronze from hell.

Ed Huntress

Jim Stewart

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I just picked up my new eyeglasses (quoting Errol, "WooHoo!!!" - I
can see again). The frames are a from a model line called "Flexon, by
Marchon".

If you are rough on frames, as I am, the Flexons are
a very good deal.

Previously, a frame would last me about a year. I'd
get frequent headaches from the frame being bent.

I have 2 sets of glasses with Flexon frames. One is
about 7 years old and the other 2. The 7 year old
frame has most of the finish rubbed off, but is still
in good mechanical shape.

Tom Quackenbush

wrote:

Flexon is a binary nickel-titanium shape-memory alloy that exhibits an odd
property called pseudoelasticity.

I'm not familiar with the meaning of binary in this context. Two
element alloy?

[...]

At $200/pair, I probably won't be modifying them for awhile (a
year, anyway). g

I thought you were supposed to be getting some work done, not
playing around on Usenet? g Seriously, thanks for the info and the
links. Good luck with your computers.

R,
Tom Q.

p.s. TSS is very, very good. Thank you. I have more questions now than
before. Expect to be peppered after I reread it & after you get your
work done.

Tom Quackenbush

On Thu, 9 Oct 2003 13:53:32 -0700, skuke wrote:

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 15:52:41 -0400, Tom Quackenbush wrote:

After looking on the Web, I _think_ they're made from some sort of
nickel-titanium alloy, but I'm not sure.

Does anyone know what type of alloy this is and what other
applications it may be being used for?

I think you have eyeglass frames made from NiTiNOL. That's a
"memory shape" alloy of Ti and Nickel developed by the Naval Ordinance Labs
(NiTiNOL)(defense department). The plastic property shown in your eyeglass
frame is unique to that material (NiTiNOL). Incidently, the temperature that
the material behaves like a spring and has "memory" can be set to different
points. Your glasses are set for normal "room temp". It could set so that
you mangle the frame, then "repair" it by dipping in boiling (or very hot)
water.

I have a vague recollection of NiTiNOL (I think), used like an
artificial muscle (not for people, for very small machines)? Thermal
cycles were used to force it to expand and contract.

The medical industry uses NiTiNol for stents and the like. The place I
worked at used NiTiNol as a frame for a filter that is inserted into your
aorta (major vessel coming off your heart) during cardiac surgery. The frame
and filter material was drawn back into a syringe looking device and
deployed into your aorta. Once deployed, it "sprang" into shape filling the
interior circumferance of your aorta. It was then drawn back into the
syringe at the appropriate time for removal. Basically, any spring tempered
material can do the job, but NiTiNol also has positive biocompatability
properties. Most spring materials have too much iron and carbon and would
react adversely in the blood. It would rust, basically.

Wow, good info. Thank you.

R,
Tom Q.

Tom Quackenbush

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:23:02 GMT, "Leo Lichtman"
wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote: (clip) When he released his grip, they popped right
back to their original shape! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
One feature I absolutely insist on in my glasses is the spring-hinge. If
you pull the temples on my glasses away from each other, instead of
destroying the hinges, you get "overtravel." And when the temples are
released, they go back to position with no damage.

I wish that would help me see better, but it doesn't. G

The spring-hinge idea sounds pretty good. I should have researched
eyeglass frames before I bought mine (I did, a little, but not like I
was going to buy something really important, like a welder g).

If you get a chance, check out the Flexon frames, they're very cool
(but maybe not cost-efficient - if it turns out they're not, don't
feel obligated to tell me g).

R,
Tom Q.

Ed Huntress

wrote:

Flexon is a binary nickel-titanium shape-memory alloy that exhibits an

odd
property called pseudoelasticity.

I'm not familiar with the meaning of binary in this context. Two
element alloy?

Yup. That fancy name for it comes into play only because the properties
we're talking about involve phase changes, and they're characteristically
different for binary alloy systems versus ternary, etc., alloys.

I shouldn't have used the term here because it's only confusing and not
necessary to understanding how the properties work.

I thought you were supposed to be getting some work done, not
playing around on Usenet? g Seriously, thanks for the info and the
links. Good luck with your computers.

At the end of the work day today, I will put in the floppy disk with
Overkill on it, and down she goes. I'll have email on another computer but
no newsreader for a while.

If you can get a sample of shape-memory alloy somewhere, it's a lot of fun
to play with. It's as entertaining as Silly Putty.

p.s. TSS is very, very good. Thank you. I have more questions now than
before. Expect to be peppered after I reread it & after you get your
work done.

Jim Rozen can step in and help.

Ed Huntress

Tom Quackenbush

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 20:10:33 GMT, (Roy) wrote:

I don;t know a thing about what alloys the frames may be made of buy 9
out of 10 times when I bust a pair and take them to be repaired, it
always seems like they can't ever get them fixed. I know through the
years that I have tried numerous things to fix busted frames and never
had success or very rarely at all. Just last week or so I drug out my
favorite latest pair of glasses that I broke a month ago, and decided
to see what I could do with them. I tried various solders and fluzes,
no luck. I then tried some fine wire filler that a friend gave me to a
while back that he uses to braze or silver solder carbide onto steel
and also for brazing bandsaw blades. Used the smallest tip on my
Prestolite torch and viola, the factory could not have made a better
joint. Now I too am happy that I can see again.

Interesting. Might be worth a separate post about that filler rod,
esp. if you can find out what it is. I'm sure some of the weldors
(welders ?) here can fill in any gaps (so to speak).

I was tempted to buy a pair of the frames like you described, but the
place I had no choice in using for my glasses due to it being the only
place locally that was covered by my insurance was just too high of $$
for me, but the more I look at it in the long run, it can save money.
Frames are always the weakest link, and as far as fashion goes, I wore
the standard issue birth control glasses for close to 30 years while
in the military, so style does nothing for me, as its usually the dogs
and the wife that sees me all the time anyhow.

Too bad they don't make car fenders and body panels out of that stuff!

SNIP

Hey, I think I've got a few BCD frames lying around, if you know
anybody that wants them. g

I agree about the car parts. Tell you what - you put up the money &
I'll try to find somebody that will make 'em. g

R.
Tom Q.
skuke

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:10:10 GMT, Ed Huntress wrote:

I didn't think it was any worse than, say, 316 SST. Not a day at the

beach,
but it certainly could have been a tougher to machine.

If you don't think 316 is bad, you're a better man than me, Skuke.

Thanks, but I doubt it. It's just all kinda relative after spending time
machining waspalloy, hastalloy... synthetic ruby...uglynium.

I was speaking from experience only with the copper-based shape-memory
alloys,

Do you know what elements where in the copper based stuff? I would think
(gooeyness aside) that it would be easier to machine than anything with lots
of Nickel (or even Ti) in it.

It was like
aluminum-bronze from hell.

LOL, No, that would be the aluminum armor plating. We got some by mistake
and I started to cut the stuff. It was like a 2000 series Al but VERY
plastic. It was hard to get a clean chip since the stuff just "oozed" out
of the way. I guess that's why it made good armor plating. ...just slow
down the projectile and dissipate the energy rather than stop it with "brute
force" hardness.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
skuke

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 17:19:34 -0400, Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I have a vague recollection of NiTiNOL (I think), used like an
artificial muscle (not for people, for very small machines)? Thermal
cycles were used to force it to expand and contract.

Sounds like a good application for it. I don't think it would be an
efficient use of the energy (to thermal cycle), but the material could make
a good "motor" or "muscle" in tiny machines.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email

Tom Quackenbush

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:28:59 GMT, "Ed Huntress"
wrote:
SNIP
I'm not familiar with the meaning of binary in this context. Two
element alloy?

Yup. That fancy name for it comes into play only because the properties
we're talking about involve phase changes, and they're characteristically
different for binary alloy systems versus ternary, etc., alloys.

I shouldn't have used the term here because it's only confusing and not
necessary to understanding how the properties work.

SNIP

No, I'm glad you mentioned (and explained) it. Did I mention that
"confusing" is my specialty? Well, actually it's "confused", but
that's pretty close. g

R,
Tom Q.
Ed Huntress

"skuke" wrote in message
.. .
On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 21:10:10 GMT, Ed Huntress wrote:

I didn't think it was any worse than, say, 316 SST. Not a day at the

beach,
but it certainly could have been a tougher to machine.

If you don't think 316 is bad, you're a better man than me, Skuke.

Thanks, but I doubt it. It's just all kinda relative after spending time
machining waspalloy, hastalloy... synthetic ruby...uglynium.

You must have done something real bad to get those jobs. g

I was speaking from experience only with the copper-based shape-memory
alloys,

Do you know what elements where in the copper based stuff? I would think
(gooeyness aside) that it would be easier to machine than anything with

lots
of Nickel (or even Ti) in it.

The two systems of shape-memory, copper-based alloys are CuZnAl and CuAlNi,
although there are other things in them, in small amounts. I don't remember
which one I had. It was over 20 years ago.

Ed Huntress

Tom Quackenbush

On Thu, 09 Oct 2003 14:11:48 -0700, Jim Stewart
wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I just picked up my new eyeglasses (quoting Errol, "WooHoo!!!" - I
can see again). The frames are a from a model line called "Flexon, by
Marchon".

If you are rough on frames, as I am, the Flexons are
a very good deal.

Previously, a frame would last me about a year. I'd
get frequent headaches from the frame being bent.

I have 2 sets of glasses with Flexon frames. One is
about 7 years old and the other 2. The 7 year old
frame has most of the finish rubbed off, but is still
in good mechanical shape.

Thanks, Jim.

That makes me feel better about my impulse purchase (I usually
don't do that, but glasses that you can crush in your fist - how could
anyone resist that?).

R,
Tom Q.

Loren Coe

wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote:

I just picked up my new eyeglasses (quoting Errol, "WooHoo!!!" - I
can see again). The frames are a from a model line called "Flexon, by
Marchon".

If you are rough on frames, as I am, the Flexons are
a very good deal.

i have a pair of "Mario" black frames that have lasted over 5yrs now, the
lenses are all scratched up but i hate to change. these are made in Japan
and the black finish is like new. the rubber ear things are gone but the
temples are flexible enough that i they are still just a comfortable w/o.

--Loren

Previously, a frame would last me about a year. I'd
get frequent headaches from the frame being bent.

I have 2 sets of glasses with Flexon frames. One is
about 7 years old and the other 2. The 7 year old
frame has most of the finish rubbed off, but is still
in good mechanical shape.

Thanks, Jim.

That makes me feel better about my impulse purchase (I usually
don't do that, but glasses that you can crush in your fist - how could
anyone resist that?).

R,
Tom Q.

Leo Lichtman

Roy wrote: (clip) I then tried some fine wire filler that a friend gave me
to a while back that he uses to braze or silver solder carbide onto
steel(clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
Never mind about your glasses! Let's find out more about that fine wire
filler.

DoN. Nichols

wrote:

Tom Quackenbush wrote: (clip) When he released his grip, they popped right
back to their original shape! (clip)
^^^^^^^^^^^^
One feature I absolutely insist on in my glasses is the spring-hinge. If
you pull the temples on my glasses away from each other, instead of
destroying the hinges, you get "overtravel." And when the temples are
released, they go back to position with no damage.

[ ... ]

The spring-hinge idea sounds pretty good. I should have researched
eyeglass frames before I bought mine (I did, a little, but not like I
was going to buy something really important, like a welder g).

If you get a chance, check out the Flexon frames, they're very cool
(but maybe not cost-efficient - if it turns out they're not, don't
feel obligated to tell me g).

What I did, when I last needed glasses, was to ask specifically
for safety glasses. This limits the choice of frames to a lot fewer.
and what I have are titanium frames, with the spring hinges.

For safety glasses, the assembled glasses/frames combination is
tested by dropping a large steel ball from a prescribed distance onto
the lenses. If they survive that, they should survive the task of
protecting your eyes -- at least within reason. (E.g. Don't stand in
front of a 30-06 and expect the bullet to bounce off the lenses. :-)

And -- I think that it is near time to do it again -- the point
of optimum focus is drifting closer. :-(

Enjoy,
DoN.
--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
skuke

On Fri, 10 Oct 2003 00:56:14 GMT, Loren Coe wrote:

i have a pair of "Mario" black frames that have lasted over 5yrs now, the
lenses are all scratched up but i hate to change. these are made in Japan
and the black finish is like new. the rubber ear things are gone but the
temples are flexible enough that i they are still just a comfortable w/o.

I've had my optometrist replace just the lenses (new prescription) into old
frames I really liked. He didn't come out and say it, but I think he didn't
really want to do it since frame sales is probably how they make a lot of
their money. Anyhow, I got it done with no complaints from the doc.

--
Skuke
Reverse the domain name to send email
Loren Coe

In article , DoN. Nichols wrote:
.... and what I have are titanium frames, with the spring hinges.

.... And -- I think that it is near time to do it again -- the point
of optimum focus is drifting closer. :-( Enjoy, DoN.

my problem of late is that my eyes tire thruout the day, changing
my needed correction. rather than tri-focals, i have two pair of
bifocals one for keyboard/display distance, the other for reading
and distance.

in the am, i cannot read close with the first pair, but can in
the evening. by then, the distance correction is weak on the 2nd
pair. i am not sure tri-focals would help. --Loren

Bob Chilcoat

I've heard that if you leave the swarf too close to the finished piece, you
get bar stock again. Clean up quick!

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message
. net...

They're a bitch to machine, BTW.

Ted Edwards

Ed Huntress wrote:

It was like aluminum-bronze from hell.

I'm puzzled. I've built up some shafts and a gear using AMPCO 200
Al-bronze with TIG. I would have liked it to flow better but it
machined very nicely. What's up?

Ted

Ed Huntress

"Ted Edwards" wrote in message
Ed Huntress wrote:

It was like aluminum-bronze from hell.

I'm puzzled. I've built up some shafts and a gear using AMPCO 200
Al-bronze with TIG. I would have liked it to flow better but it
machined very nicely. What's up?

Ted

(Wow. That was the most painless installation of a cable modem and software
I've ever done.)

Anyway, the bearing types of aluminum bronze, ranging from 5% to 8%
aluminum, are considered to be among of the nastier alloys to machine. Their
machinability is rated at 20% of the rating for yellow brass, and they're
notorious for producing tough, stringy chips and miserable finishes. They
require good lubrication. Straight oil is best.

I don't know how you got off easy, but count your lucky stars.

Ed Huntress