Steve

Default UPDATE on Stuck Chuck Backplate!

Well after staring at the chuck for an hour or so I finally got an
idea. I took one of the long bolts that secures the chuck to the
backplate and screwed it into to backplate from the backside a few
turns. Then I got the biggest punch that would fit the through hole in
the chuck and hit it with the hammer. The back plate started to
seperate. After a few times around moving the bolt hole to hole the
back plate was off. After cleaning the chuck up I realized I have a
Buck 3 Jaw 8" Chuck.
This is the first time taking a chuck apart so I wanted to make
sure I had a few things correct before I venture any further. It looks
like there is a pressed in piece on the backside of the chuck where
the scroll goes in. There are also 6 bolts that hold this in from the
front of the chuck. I have removed the bolts but haven't messed with
the insert. My question is...should I remove this also and clear out
any swarf etc that is built up inside and relube it or is it best to
leave it alone. The scroll still turns easily. I can turn the pinion
with my finger with the jaws out. I would just like to take care of it
now while it is apart. There was a thick black grease inside of the
backplate that almost smelled like burnt motor oil. Nasty stuff also a
little bit if rust. Cleaned all that up and put the backplate in the
parts cleaner for the night.
All of the jaws look good and all of the numbers are there that
correspond with the chuck. Now what is the procedure for putting it
all back together and adjusting the runout? Also what are the torque
specs on the fasteners? Thanks, Steve