Miki Kanazawa

Default Source for GOOD bolts, washers, copper washers, etc?

Hey guys,

So I'm swapping the turbocharger on my car (2001 Volkswagen GTI) and
discover there's 20 or so copper or aluminum sealing washers on banjo
bolts that need to be replaced. Going to my local friendly VW dealer,
they're trying to charge me $1.62 apiece for replacements. While I'm
not opposed to spending a good sum of money on something that's worth
it, $1.62 just doesn't seem reasonable for ONE COPPER WASHER. I
figure I go through enough of them, I might as well purchase a grab
bag. If anyone can point me to a source I'd be very grateful.

Also, if anyone knows a source for automotive OEM-quality nuts, bolts
and banjo bolts I'd be ETERNALLY grateful. Normally I'd get this type
of thing from the stealership, but since they never have anything in
stock is greatly extends the time it takes to properly complete a job.

Any info welcome!

JJ

"Miki Kanazawa" wrote in message
om...

it, $1.62 just doesn't seem reasonable for ONE COPPER WASHER. I
figure I go through enough of them, I might as well purchase a grab
bag. If anyone can point me to a source I'd be very grateful.

Give NAPA a whirl - you might save about 50%. I had to buy some
copper washers recently and was surprised at how much they cost.

Also, if anyone knows a source for automotive OEM-quality nuts, bolts
and banjo bolts I'd be ETERNALLY grateful.

I don't know for a fact that these places will have them but check out
these places.

www.summitracing.com

Your local yellow pages under "fasteners"
If there is a Fastenal near you, I'd recommend them.

Also Pepboys had a fair-middling selection of fasteners.

Jay
Jack Erbes

On Thu, 2 Oct 2003 15:39:45 -0400, "Brian"
wrote:

You can heat them to red (if copper) and anneal them, as long as they are
not deformed. No specific need to change them out.

Brian

A lot of aircraft mechanics do that, tossing them into cool water
seems to help with the annealing and gets them cleaner.

Aircraft plugs are expensive and are often removed and replaced
numerous time in their service life so the copper sealing washers get
work hardened.

This practice is especially useful with aluminum heads, it can give a
better seal at the lighter torque settings.