Cuezilla

Default Lathe price

I need some help on pricing a lathe. I have a neighbor with a lathe I
would like to buy. It is a South Bend 9" with a 4 1/2 foot bed. model
A. The numbers are 52034nar10. It will come with a three jaw chuck and
a minimum of tooling. He bought it new in 1964 and it was just a hobby
lathe for him. I plan on paying him exactly what it is worth, I don't
need a good deal. They are friends, in their 80's and could use the
money and I could use the lathe. What would be a fair deal from one
person to another not a dealer price. Thank you
ATP

Cuezilla wrote:
I need some help on pricing a lathe. I have a neighbor with a lathe I
would like to buy. It is a South Bend 9" with a 4 1/2 foot bed. model
A. The numbers are 52034nar10. It will come with a three jaw chuck and
a minimum of tooling. He bought it new in 1964 and it was just a hobby
lathe for him. I plan on paying him exactly what it is worth, I don't
need a good deal. They are friends, in their 80's and could use the
money and I could use the lathe. What would be a fair deal from one
person to another not a dealer price. Thank you

I bought a Heavy 10 recently with a three jaw chuck for $750 from a local
seller through Ebay.

ph17314

jim rozen wrote in message
In article , Cuezilla

says...

I had to fit a new crossfeed screw for example to
make it useable. I paid 800 for that, from a private
seller in the local area.

Hope this helps.

Jim

please reply to:
I've that things are pretty expensive in NY

Paul

cej

"Cuezilla" wrote in message
om...
I need some help on pricing a lathe. I have a neighbor with a lathe I
would like to buy. It is a South Bend 9" with a 4 1/2 foot bed. model
A. The numbers are 52034nar10. It will come with a three jaw chuck and
a minimum of tooling. He bought it new in 1964 and it was just a hobby
lathe for him. I plan on paying him exactly what it is worth, I don't
need a good deal. They are friends, in their 80's and could use the
money and I could use the lathe. What would be a fair deal from one
person to another not a dealer price. Thank you

Condition and tooling make a big difference, as these sales records
harvested from Ebay show:

South Bend Lathe Model A,4-1/2'Gap Bed,9-1/2" $1,350.00 (res.not met)
07-2000
Southbend 9" x 28" Model A $1,250.00 04-2001
9" South Bend Lathe 3 FT Bed $1,180.00 (res.not met) 12-2000
SOUTH BEND MODEL A , 3.5 FOOT BED $1,500.00 (buy it now) 11-2001
SOUTH BEND METAL LATHE 4 1/2 FT BED Model A $750 11-2000
Model A South Bend Lathe 9" Swing, 4 1/2' Bed, 36" Centers $860.00
05-2001
Southbend Lathe, Model A, 9" swing, 36" bed $561.00 10-2001
9" South Bend Bench Lathe 4-1/2ft. bed, $466.00 11-2001
South Bend 9 inch metal lathe $577.99 02-2002
SOUTHBEND MODEL A LATHE $2,225.00 05-2002
South Bend 9" Metal Lathe $1,212.97 06-2002
9x32 inch SouthBend Lathe $661.00 12-2002
SOUTH BEND MODEL "A" LATHE 24" CENTER $1,250.00 07-2003

Based on these, I agree that $1000 would be a reasonable number for a
lightly used machine with basic tooling. Ebay is of course a big market
compared to your local town, but then again Ebay's buyers often are going to
pay significant shipping fees. Also, I think South Bend equipment gets a
premium compared to other U.S. manufacturers due to name recognition.

Carl Joplin

Cuezilla

Thank you all very much for your responces. I think I am going to give
him $1000. for the lathe. They need to have their house tented for
termites. I was just going to call and have the job done, but I know
they will feel better if thay can pay for it and the lathe will more
then take care of the job and they may have a few hundred left over.
He doesn't walk much anymore and it will never be used again anyway.
It will sit there till someday some family members sell everything and
fight over the money. Tough sometimes when you get old.
jim rozen

In article , Cuezilla says...

Thank you all very much for your responces. I think I am going to give
him $1000. for the lathe. They need to have their house tented for
termites. I was just going to call and have the job done, but I know
they will feel better if thay can pay for it and the lathe will more
then take care of the job and they may have a few hundred left over.
He doesn't walk much anymore and it will never be used again anyway.
It will sit there till someday some family members sell everything and
fight over the money. Tough sometimes when you get old.

Honestly it looks tough to me, all the time. I figure that
if I can look after myself as well as my parents and their
contemporaries do, I will be halfway there.

Jim

please reply to:

dann mann

That sounds real square of you. Sometimes it's best to do what feels
right and sleep on a soft pillow.

John Manders

"Cuezilla" wrote in message
om...
Thank you all very much for your responces. I think I am going to give
him $1000. for the lathe. They need to have their house tented for
termites. I was just going to call and have the job done, but I know
they will feel better if thay can pay for it and the lathe will more
then take care of the job and they may have a few hundred left over.
He doesn't walk much anymore and it will never be used again anyway.
It will sit there till someday some family members sell everything and
fight over the money. Tough sometimes when you get old.

Nice one.
See if there is any tooling tucked away as well as any other useful bits.
Better it all goes to a good Samaritans home as it would only go for scrap
after the lathe has gone.

John

Brian Lawson

Hey Cuezilla,

I agree with Bruno, you're a nice neighbour.

One word of advice. Have the seniors contact one of the relatives
(read future heirs) NOW, before you buy, so that they know what's
happening and that you are not cheating the seniors. And get a
receipt.

Take care.

Brian Lawson,
Bothwell, Ontario.
XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
On Sun, 28 Sep 2003 23:26:34 GMT, Bruno wrote:

Sounds like your neighbors are very fortunate to have you for a
neighbor.

-Bruno

(Cuezilla) wrote:

Thank you all very much for your responces. I think I am going to give
him $1000. for the lathe. They need to have their house tented for
termites. I was just going to call and have the job done, but I know
they will feel better if thay can pay for it and the lathe will more
then take care of the job and they may have a few hundred left over.
He doesn't walk much anymore and it will never be used again anyway.
It will sit there till someday some family members sell everything and
fight over the money. Tough sometimes when you get old.

DejaVU

Brian Lawson scribed in
:

Hey Cuezilla,

I agree with Bruno, you're a nice neighbour.

One word of advice. Have the seniors contact one of the relatives
(read future heirs) NOW, before you buy, so that they know what's
happening and that you are not cheating the seniors. And get a
receipt.

also, maybe the kids want the lathe, but Dad never asked?
I've had this happen to me, it is very annoying. Just ask the kids
if they want it first, common courtesy....

swarf, steam and wind

--
David Forsyth -:- the email address is real /"\
http://terrapin.ru.ac.za/~iwdf/welcome.html \ /
Sherm Adamson

"ATP" wrote in message
et...
Cuezilla wrote:
I need some help on pricing a lathe. I have a neighbor with a lathe I
would like to buy. It is a South Bend 9" with a 4 1/2 foot bed. model
A. The numbers are 52034nar10. It will come with a three jaw chuck and
a minimum of tooling. He bought it new in 1964 and it was just a hobby
lathe for him. I plan on paying him exactly what it is worth, I don't
need a good deal. They are friends, in their 80's and could use the
money and I could use the lathe. What would be a fair deal from one
person to another not a dealer price. Thank you

I bought a Heavy 10 recently with a three jaw chuck for $750 from a local
seller through Ebay.

The "Heavy 10" is a much better lathe for cuemaking. I've been using one for
many years. It has a 1 3/8 spindle bore instead of the 7/8" of the 9 inch
South Bend. You can do shaft work on the 9", so it makes a good secondary
machine though.

--
just more hot air! 8^)

Sherm

Sherm Custom Billiard Cues by,
Sherman Adamson
3352 Nine Mile Rd., Cincinnati Ohio 45255
Shop (513)553-2172, Cell (513)509-9152
http://www.shermcue.com Over 20 years experience
almost a decade in "The American Cuemakers Association"