Too_Many_Tools

Default Does The Buck REALLY Stops Here?

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

Perhaps some of them should spend a few days stranded on a roof top
with no water/food/toilet waiting for someone to notice them.

The question....

Should government officials be held criminally liable for the unfolding
nightmare we are witnessing hour by hour?

If it doesn't happen, it damn well should.

One very ticked off American,

TMT

Newsview: Politicians Failed Storm Victims By RON FOURNIER, AP
Political Writer Thu Sep 1, 9:18 PM ET

At every turn, political leaders failed Katrina's victims. They didn't
strengthen the levees. They ceded the streets to marauding looters.
They left dead bodies to rot or bloat. Thousands suffered or died for
lack of water, food and hope. Who's at fault?

There's plenty of blame to go around - the White House, Congress,
federal agencies, local governments, police and even residents of the
Gulf Coast who refused orders to evacuate. But all the finger-pointing
misses the point: Politicians and the people they lead too often ignore
danger signs until a crisis hits.

It wasn't a secret that levees built to keep New Orleans from flooding
could not withstand a major hurricane, but government leaders never
found the money to fully shore up the network of earthen, steel and
concrete barriers.

Both the Bush and Clinton administrations proposed budgets that
low-balled the needs. Local politicians grabbed whatever money they
could and declared victory. And the public didn't exactly demand tax
increases to pay for flood-control and hurricane-protection projects.

Just last year, the Army Corps of Engineers sought $105 million for
hurricane and flood programs in New Orleans. The White House slashed
the request to about $40 million. Congress finally approved $42.2
million, less than half of the agency's request.

Yet the lawmakers and Bush agreed to a $286.4 billion pork-laden
highway bill that included more than 6,000 pet projects for lawmakers.
Congress spent money on dust control for Arkansas roads, a warehouse on
the Erie Canal and a $231 million bridge to a small, uninhabited
Alaskan island.

How could Washington spend $231 million on a bridge to nowhere - and
not find $42 million for hurricane and flood projects in New Orleans?
It's a matter of power and politics.

Alaska is represented by Republican Rep. Don Young (news, bio, voting
record), chairman of the House Transportation Committee, and Republican
Sen. Ted Stevens (news, bio, voting record), a senior member of the
all-important Senate Appropriations Committee. Louisiana's delegation
holds far less sway.

Once the hurricane hit, relief trickled into the Gulf Coast. Even
Federal Emergency Management Agency director Michael Brown, whose
agency is in charge of disaster response, pronounced the initial
results unacceptable.

The hurricane was the first major test of FEMA since it became part of
the Homeland Security Department, a massive new bureaucracy that many
feared would make the well-respected FEMA another sluggish federal
agency.

Looting soon broke out as local police stood by. Some police didn't
want to stop people from getting badly needed food and water. Others
seemed to be overwhelmed. Thousands of National Guard troops were
ordered to the Gulf Coast, but their ranks have been drastically
thinned by the war in Iraq.

On top of all this, Katrina is one of the worst natural disasters ever
to hit the United States. The best leaders running the most efficient
agencies would have been sharply challenged.

"Look at all they've had to deal with," former President Clinton told
CNN. "I'm telling you, nobody every thought it would happen like this."

That's not true. Experts had predicted for years that a major hurricane
would eventually hit New Orleans, swamping the levees and filling the
bowl-shaped city with polluted water. Yet even Bush insisted that
nobody anticipated the breach of the levees in a serious storm.

The politicians are doing what they do in time of crisis - shifting
the blame.

"The truth will speak for itself," Sen. Mary Landrieu (news, bio,
voting record), D-La., said of potential lapses by government. Later,
her office blamed the White House for budget cuts.

If it's not the Republicans' fault, perhaps some in Washington would
like to blame New Orleans itself. House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill.,
questioned whether a city that lies below sea level should be rebuilt.
"That doesn't make sense to me," he said.

But for anybody living - or dying - in the devastated region, there
are far too many villains to name.

"We're out here like pure animals. We don't have help," the Rev. Issac
Clark, 68, said outside the New Orleans Convention Center.

Robin Lovin, ethics professor at Southern Methodist University in
Dallas, said it's too convenient to blame one branch of government when
they are all, at some level, failing people. From Watergate to
Clinton's impeachment, governmental institutions have disappointed the
public.

"Bush, Congress, the mayor - each of them are symptoms of a bigger
problem, that we don't have accountability for disasters or challenges
of this scale," Lovin said. "That's all the public wants in trying
times - accountability."

Thus, Americans are doing what people do when government lets them down
- they're turning to each other. Donations are pouring into
charities. Internet sites are being used to find relatives. Residents
of far-off states are opening their homes to victims.

The community spirit is reminiscent of the Sept. 11, 2001 attacks. So
is the second-guessing. It will happen again after the next crisis.
You've heard the warnings: a cataclysmic California earthquake, another
terrorist strike, a flu pandemic, a nuclear plant meltdown, a tsunami,
the failure to address mounting U.S. debt - and on and on.

Will the public and its leaders be better prepared next time?

william_b_noble

I, for one, agree with you, that there is serious negligence - but, sadly,
this is exactly what we voted for, we the insightful people of the united
states - we knew that this administration valued ideology over fact at the
last election - disregarding the clear analysis by FEMA that this was a
highly likely event is just one example of such denial. What distresses me
even more than the sheer incompetence and hubris of the administration
though, is the looting, raping, and general pilaging reported to be going
on - it's one thing to be hungry and thirsty and to break into a grocery
store for food and water, it's another thing to break into department stores
to steal guns, and jewlery stores, and ...... When the mayor of the city
diverts police from rescue to law enforcement, we have a major breakdown of
the whole society.

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
[...]

Too_Many_Tools

Like this....

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/hurricane...kxBHNlYwN0bQ--

New Orleans' top emergency management official called that effort a
"national disgrace" and questioned when reinforcements would actually
reach the increasingly lawless city.

About 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New Orleans
convention center grew ever more hostile after waiting for buses for
days amid the filth and the dead. Police Chief Eddie Compass said there
was such a crush around a squad of 88 officers that they retreated when
they went in to check out reports of assaults.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are
getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction
and they are getting preyed upon."

Col. Henry Whitehorn, chief of the Louisiana State Police, said he
heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers - many of
whom from flooded areas - turning in their badges.

"They indicated that they had lost everything and didn't feel that it
was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their
lives," Whitehorn said.

Gunner

On 1 Sep 2005 22:05:18 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

How so?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

Just last year, the Army Corps of Engineers sought $105 million for
hurricane and flood programs in New Orleans. The White House slashed
the request to about $40 million. Congress finally approved $42.2
million, less than half of the agency's request.

Yet the lawmakers and Bush agreed to a $286.4 billion pork-laden
highway bill that included more than 6,000 pet projects for lawmakers.
Congress spent money on dust control for Arkansas roads, a warehouse on
the Erie Canal and a $231 million bridge to a small, uninhabited
Alaskan island.

How could Washington spend $231 million on a bridge to nowhere - and
not find $42 million for hurricane and flood projects in New Orleans?
It's a matter of power and politics.

"Actually if you looked at the actual cut it was for general flood
control for the entire United States and was loaded down with so much
pork that the pig couldn't float. Hell, Idaho lost out on a Corps of
Engineer flood control project of making bike paths along he Snake
river from Idaho Falls to Caldwell, about 150 miles.

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner

On 1 Sep 2005 22:27:08 -0700, "Too_Many_Tools"
wrote:

[...]

So much for the oaths of the members of one of the most corrupt police
departments in the United States.

I suspect..they couldnt get any graft anymore..so they quit.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
SteveF

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

No, the ball was dropped 40 years ago when the government passed the
National Flood Insurance Program and created FEMA and made it public policy
to cover the losses of people and banks when houses were built in flood
plains (ever wonder why they call it that?). This problem occurs every
couple of years and cost billions of dollars each time because the
government didn't outright ban new construction in flood plains. Every
couple of years my insurance company calls me to bring to my attention that
I don't have flood coverage on my house. My response is always, "I don't
need it because I'm not stupid enough to live in a flood plain."

The alternative was to create building codes to handle the problem. New
Orleans could have EASILY passed a building code that required all buildings
to have a concrete block first floor (required to remain uninhabited space)
to get the main structure out of harm's way. And to jack up all existing
buildings. Did they do that? No. Any coastal community could pass
building codes to make hurricane proof buildings. Did they do that? No.
Why? Because the codes would "make housing unaffordable" and "hurt the
local economy".

My boss was telling me a story once of when he lived near Roanoke, Virginia.
One of his coworkers found a nice lot down by the river. The guy goes to
the Corps of Engineers and asks them to tell him what is the abolutely worst
possible flood that could happen and they gave him the numbers. Went and
built a little hill in the middle of the property and proceeded to build a
house on it. Needless to say, everyone thought he was out of his mind for
spending all that money and effort. A couple years later - big flood. My
boss says saw his coworker's house as the news chopper was flying over the
river showing flooded house, flooded house, flooded house, house on a
little hill, flooded house......

Just last year, the Army Corps of Engineers sought $105 million for
hurricane and flood programs in New Orleans. The White House slashed
the request to about $40 million. Congress finally approved $42.2
million, less than half of the agency's request.

There's 1.3 million people in New Orleans so they could have made up the
difference. That's $31 each to spend THEIR money to protect THEIR property.
Did they do that? No. I just spent three days working and sweating my
ass off (plus $500 in hired labor) cutting down three huge, dead pine trees
that were within range of my garage because I didn't want my property
damaged in a storm. Guess the thing to do nowadays is to wait until the
trees crushed my garage and then stand there with tears running down my face
saying, "Woe is me".

That's not true. Experts had predicted for years that a major hurricane
would eventually hit New Orleans, swamping the levees and filling the
bowl-shaped city with polluted water. Yet even Bush insisted that
nobody anticipated the breach of the levees in a serious storm.

Experts? Anyone with half a brain could have seen it coming.

I wonder what the future holds for this country when everyone thinks that
taking care of them is someone else's responsibility.

Steve.

Too_Many_Tools

No disrespect intended Gunner but I think you need to spend a few days
on a roof in New Orleans with no water and food and then reconsider the
subject....I think your opinion would change.

The Feds HAVE dropped the ball BIG TIME.

I see that the White House has now decided that maybe they should make
a quick trip to New Orleans for PR.

Meanwhile New Orleans burns...

TMT

===

Depot Explodes Over Lawless New Orleans By ALLEN G. BREED, Associated
Press Writer

An explosion at a chemical depot jolted residents awake early Friday,
illuminating the pre-dawn sky with red and orange flames over a city
awash in corpses and under siege from looters. There were no immediate
reports of injuries.

Vibrations from the blast along the Mississippi River and a few miles
east of the French Quarter were felt all the way downtown. A series of
smaller blasts followed and then a cyclone of acrid, black smoke.

To jittery residents of New Orleans, it was yet another fearful sight
in a city that has deteriorated rapidly since Katrina slammed ashore
Monday morning.

Congress was rushing through a $10.5 billion aid package, the Pentagon
promised 1,400 National Guardsmen a day to stop the looting and
President Bush planned to visit the region Friday. But city officials
were seething with anger about what they called a slow federal response
following Hurricane Katrina.

"They don't have a clue what's going on down there," Mayor Ray Nagin
told WWL-AM Thursday night.

"They flew down here one time two days after the doggone event was over
with TV cameras, AP reporters, all kind of goddamn - excuse my French
everybody in America, but I am ****ed."

Seeking to deflect rising criticism of the federal response, Michael
Brown, director of the Federal Emergency Management Agency, said
Friday: "In this catastrophic event, everything that we had
pre-positioned and ready to go became overwhelmed immediately after the
storm."

Thursday saw thousands being evacuated by bus to Houston from the hot
and stinking Superdome. Fistfights and fires erupted amid a seething
sea of tense, suffering people who waited in a lines that stretched a
half-mile to board yellow school buses. The looting continued.

Gov. Kathleen Blanco called the looters "hoodlums" and issued a warning
to lawbreakers: Hundreds of National Guard troops hardened on the
battlefield in Iraq have landed in New Orleans.

"They have M-16s and they're locked and loaded," she said. "These
troops know how to shoot and kill, and they are more than willing to do
so, and I expect they will."

At the Superdome, group of refugees broke through a line of heavily
armed National Guardsmen in a scramble to get on to the buses.

Nearby, about 15,000 to 20,000 people who had taken shelter at New
Orleans Convention Center grew ever more hostile after waiting for
buses for days amid the filth and the dead.

Police Chief Eddie Compass said there was such a crush around a squad
of 88 officers that they retreated when they went in to check out
reports of assaults.

"We have individuals who are getting raped, we have individuals who are
getting beaten," Compass said. "Tourists are walking in that direction
and they are getting preyed upon."

By Thursday evening, 11 hours after the military began evacuating the
Superdome, the arena held 10,000 more people than it did at dawn.
Evacuees from across the city swelled the crowd to about 30,000 because
they believed the arena was the best place to get a ride out of town.

Some of those among the mostly poor crowd had been in the dome for four
days without air conditioning, working toilets or a place to bathe. One
military policeman was shot in the leg as he and a man scuffled for the
MP's rifle. The man was arrested.

By late Thursday, the flow of refugees to the Houston Astrodome was
temporarily halted with a population of 11,325, less than half the
estimated 23,000 people expected.

Texas Gov. Rick Perry announced that Dallas would host 25,000 more
refugees at Reunion Arena and 25,000 others would relocate to a San
Antonio warehouse at KellyUSA, a city-owned complex that once was home
to an Air Force base. Houston estimated as many as 55,000 people who
fled the hurricane were staying in area hotels.

The blasts early Friday rocked a chemical storage facility along the
river, said Lt. Michael Francis of the Harbor Police. At least two
police boats could be seen at the scene and a hazardous material team
was on route. Francis did not have any other information.

While floodwaters in New Orleans appeared to stabilize, efforts
continued to plug three breaches that had opened up in the levee system
that was designed to protect this below-sea-level city.

Helicopters dropped sandbags into the breach and pilings were being
pounded into the mouth of the canal Thursday to close its connection to
Lake Pontchartrain.

At least seven bodies were scattered outside the convention center, a
makeshift staging area for those rescued from rooftops, attics and
highways. The sidewalks were packed with people without food, water or
medical care, and with no sign of law enforcement.

A military helicopter tried to land at the convention center several
times to drop off food and water. But the rushing crowd forced the
choppers to back off. Troopers then tossed the supplies to the crowd
from 10 feet off the ground and flew away.

"There's a lot of very sick people - elderly ones, infirm ones -
who can't stand this heat, and there's a lot of children who don't have
water and basic necessities to survive on," said Daniel Edwards, 47,
outside the center. "We need to eat, or drink water at the very least."

An old man in a chaise lounge lay dead in a grassy median as hungry
babies wailed around him. Around the corner, an elderly woman lay dead
in her wheelchair, covered up by a blanket, and another body lay beside
her wrapped in a sheet.

"I don't treat my dog like that," Edwards said as he pointed at the
woman in the wheelchair. "You can do everything for other countries,
but you can't do nothing for your own people."

Brown said the agency just learned about the situation at the
convention center Thursday and quickly scrambled to provide food, water
and medical care and remove the corpses.

The slow response frustrated Nagin: "I have no idea what they're doing
but I will tell you this: God is looking down on all this and if
they're not doing everything in their power to save people, they are
going to pay the price because every day that we delay, people are
dying and they're dying by the hundreds."

In hopes of defusing the situation at the convention center, Nagin gave
the evacuees permission to march across a bridge to the city's
unflooded west bank for whatever relief they could find.

A day after Nagin took 1,500 police officers off search-and-rescue duty
to try to restore order in the streets, there were continued reports of
looting, shootings, gunfire and carjackings.

Tourist Debbie Durso of Washington, Mich., said she asked a police
officer for assistance and his response was, "'Go to hell - it's
every man for himself.'"

FEMA officials said some operations had to be suspended in areas where
gunfire has broken out, but they are working overtime to feed people
and restore order.

Outside a looted Rite-Aid drugstore, some people were anxious to show
they needed what they were taking. A gray-haired man who would not give
his name pulled up his T-shirt to show a surgery scar and explained
that he needs pads for incontinence.

"I'm a Christian," he said. "I feel bad going in there."

Hospitals struggled to evacuate critically ill patients who were dying
for lack of oxygen, insulin or intravenous fluids. But when some
hospitals try to airlift patients, Coast Guard Lt. Cmdr. Cheri
Ben-Iesan said, "there are people just taking potshots at police and at
helicopters, telling them, `You better come get my family.'"

To make matters worse, the chief of the Louisiana State Police said he
heard of numerous instances of New Orleans police officers - many of
whom from flooded areas - turning in their badges.

"They indicated that they had lost everything and didn't feel that it
was worth them going back to take fire from looters and losing their
lives," Col. Henry Whitehorn said.

Mississippi's confirmed death toll from Katrina rose to 126 on Thursday
as more rescue teams spread out into a sea of rubble to search for the
living, their efforts complicated at one point by the threat of a
thunderstorm.

All along the 90-mile coast, other emergency workers performed the
grisly task of retrieving corpses, some of them lying on streets and
amid the ruins of obliterated homes that stretch back blocks from the
beach.

Gov. Haley Barbour said he knows people are tired, hungry, dirty and
scared - particularly in areas hardest hit by Katrina. He said the
state faces a long and expensive recovery process.

"I will say, sometimes I'm scared, too," Barbour said during a briefing
in Jackson, Miss. "But we are going to hitch up our britches. We're
going to get this done."

Norm Dresner

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

Perhaps some of them should spend a few days stranded on a roof top
with no water/food/toilet waiting for someone to notice them.

The question....

Should government officials be held criminally liable for the unfolding
nightmare we are witnessing hour by hour?

If it doesn't happen, it damn well should.

One very ticked off American,

That's what the next election is for! We should make sure that anyone who
even contributed to our unreadiness is booted out of office as soon as
possible.

Norm

Norm Dresner

"Gunner" wrote in message

So much for the oaths of the members of one of the most corrupt police
departments in the United States.

I suspect..they couldnt get any graft anymore..so they quit.

Gunner

If more than half the Louisiana NG wasn't off fighting an illegal, stupid
war, they'd have been there to help.

Norm

jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

How so?

Go talk to the guy who quit from the US Army Corp of Engineers
a year or so ago, because of the exact issue. Maybe he would
have something to say.

Jim

please reply to:
Too_Many_Tools

I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

TMT

Dave Hinz

On 2 Sep 2005 06:27:39 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
No disrespect intended Gunner but I think you need to spend a few days
on a roof in New Orleans with no water and food and then reconsider the
subject....I think your opinion would change.

How, specifically, are they supposed to do more than they're doing? Be
complete. If your plan is good, perhaps you could get it to the people
doing the planning. yes, it's very bad. Yes, bad things are
happening. How, specifically, would you respond first, with what
resources, and how do you handle the logistics? Show your work.

This isn't the time to bash your favorite politician for whatever the
hell you don't like. Adding noise to the problem doesn't help.

Dave Hinz

On 2 Sep 2005 07:34:15 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:
I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

Somehow, I'm guessing that in reality, your mind was made up long ago,
and you're exploiting this tragedy to make a political point.

Rex B

Norm Dresner wrote:
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

Perhaps some of them should spend a few days stranded on a roof top
with no water/food/toilet waiting for someone to notice them.

The question....

Should government officials be held criminally liable for the unfolding
nightmare we are witnessing hour by hour?

If it doesn't happen, it damn well should.

One very ticked off American,

That's what the next election is for! We should make sure that anyone
who even contributed to our unreadiness is booted out of office as soon
as possible.

We did that in 2000.

Rex B

Dave Hinz wrote:
On 2 Sep 2005 07:34:15 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

Somehow, I'm guessing that in reality, your mind was made up long ago,
and you're exploiting this tragedy to make a political point.

LOL Gee Dave, Ya think?
michael

wrote:

[...]

I know someone that used to live there. Corrupt police? Very much so.

michael
Tom Gardner

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
No disrespect intended Gunner but I think you need to spend a few days
on a roof in New Orleans with no water and food and then reconsider the
subject....I think your opinion would change.

The Feds HAVE dropped the ball BIG TIME.

I see that the White House has now decided that maybe they should make
a quick trip to New Orleans for PR.

Meanwhile New Orleans burns...

TMT

I just can't understand why the fed didn't have exactly all the right
supplies and equipment on all the right street corners BEFORE the storm
hit...I'm sure that if the libs were in power, they would have predicted
this perfectly!

Gee, do you think that anything going RIGHT will get media coverage?

Tom Gardner

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

TMT

The key phrase he "based on what I am seeing" I thought you were
smarter than that???

michael

Dave Hinz wrote:

On 2 Sep 2005 07:34:15 -0700, Too_Many_Tools wrote:

I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

Somehow, I'm guessing that in reality, your mind was made up long ago,
and you're exploiting this tragedy to make a political point.

And in most elections I wonder how much difference it would make when
the scenario will result in either 'asshole' or 'assbite' being elected.

michael

Charles Spitzer

"SteveF" wrote in message
om...

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...

It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

No, the ball was dropped 40 years ago when the government passed the
National Flood Insurance Program and created FEMA and made it public
policy to cover the losses of people and banks when houses were built in
flood plains (ever wonder why they call it that?). This problem occurs
every couple of years and cost billions of dollars each time because the
government didn't outright ban new construction in flood plains. Every
couple of years my insurance company calls me to bring to my attention
that I don't have flood coverage on my house. My response is always, "I
don't need it because I'm not stupid enough to live in a flood plain."

i agree with what you say in the rest of this post, but how do you know you
aren't? have you looked at the flood maps? the reason i ask is that about
50% of phoenix, in the middle of a desert, is in one flood plain or another,
but people don't usually expect that info just by looking around and not
seeing any nearby rivers.

[...]

amen

Steve.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

Charles Spitzer

"Norm Dresner" wrote in message
"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
oups.com...
It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

Perhaps some of them should spend a few days stranded on a roof top
with no water/food/toilet waiting for someone to notice them.

The question....

Should government officials be held criminally liable for the unfolding
nightmare we are witnessing hour by hour?

If it doesn't happen, it damn well should.

One very ticked off American,

That's what the next election is for! We should make sure that anyone who
even contributed to our unreadiness is booted out of office as soon as
possible.

Norm

and that would be, like, everyone? how about everyone in the last 300 years
who aren't around anymore?

n.o. has known about this for decades, ever since they started putting up
the levees in the 1920s. however, the motto isn't "let the good times roll"
for nothing.

regards,
charlie
cave creek, az

F. George McDuffee

On 2 Sep 2005 15:05:32 GMT, Dave Hinz
wrote:
snip
How, specifically, are they supposed to do more than they're doing? Be
complete.

snip
Its called "exigent circumstances" and allows the government at
several levels to commandeer any resources required to "repel an
invasion," "quell a civil insurrection," and "respond to natural
disasters."

While New Orleans and the costal areas were very hard hit, the
inland areas and large adjacent cities were not. The governor of
Louisiana should have called the Governors of Texas and
Louisiana, who then should have commandeered both the goods
required and the trucks to transport them within their states.
Indeed, they could even require the drivers of the commandeered
trucks to drive them to New Orleans. Note that this is not
confiscation in that the government at some level will eventually
pay for the goods and services, and common sense would indicate
that the adjacent states should not be stripped of the required
goods, but merely have their warehouse stocks drawn down, with
additional supplies drawn in from yet more distant states/areas
over time.

Medical and housing facilities in the adjacent areas should also
have been commandeered so that the trucks that hauled the
supplies in could transport refugees out to suitable housing with
sanitary facilities and a change of clothing [again commandeered
for the large chain stores as required]. School and commercial
busses could be commandeered in the three state area to evacuate
additional refugees, especially into the smaller towns avoiding
overloading any one area.

Instead what we have is a "Chinese fire-drill" on the official
level and massive price-gouging/profiteering by the private
sector. If it were not for the volunteer efforts of private
citizens and NGOs, the situation would be far worse.

This again raises the question - just what do we the people need
a Federal government for, and why are we paying so much for so
little?

Jim Stewart

SteveF wrote:

I wonder what the future holds for this country when everyone thinks that
taking care of them is someone else's responsibility.

It's almost as if the country behaves like a
16 year old. Whining for more freedom when
times are good and demanding to be taken care
of when times are bad....

Gunner

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:59:49 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

"Gunner" wrote in message
.. .

So much for the oaths of the members of one of the most corrupt police
departments in the United States.

I suspect..they couldnt get any graft anymore..so they quit.

Gunner

If more than half the Louisiana NG wasn't off fighting an illegal, stupid
war, they'd have been there to help.

Norm

Actually Ab...less than a third are in Iraq.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Gunner

wrote:

No disrespect intended Gunner but I think you need to spend a few days
on a roof in New Orleans with no water and food and then reconsider the
subject....I think your opinion would change.

Ill give you a hint old friend...why in the world would I have left
myself helpless, hopeless and clueless in the first place?

1. When the evac orders came..I would have been gone.

2. If something caused me to be unable to leave, Id have my survival
preps to rely on..and they are more than a couple bags of stale chips
and a can or two of outdated Spam.

3. When the water started rising..you can bet your ass I and mine
would have been on the move out of the area, properly kitted up with
the proper supplies to get us out of the area and to dry land and
safety.

4. If you will note..the vast vast majority of those poor dumb
*******s herded together on the I-10 overpass are NOT wheelchair bound
invalids, whose behavior could be excused.

So No mate..my opinion would not have changed. And quite honestly..I
HAVE lived down there, and while there, made preps for just such a
situation. Its called Situational Awareness and personal
responsibility. Unfortunately..the vast majority of those remaining in
danger are professional victims who have been indoctrinated in
waiting, hand out, for someone to come fix their booboos.

As far as the time gone by so far..NO is NOT the only area in trouble.
Are you aware that the area damaged by Katrina, is bigger than the
entire British Isles, including Ireland? How fast do you think the
highland Scots would be getting aid in a similar situation? This is
BIG, this is Bad, and its gonna take ****ing Years to level out.

I continue to be fascinated by the reporters and talking heads
babbling about weeks or a month before power to most areas is
restored. Frankly...if anyone does the research, you will find that
in many places..the entire..entire..entire infrastructure is gone.
Missing. Left. No More there. Power may be restored in months..but it
will be Years before many folks will be able to simply flush a toilet
or turn on a tap and get potable water.

History will show that this is the Worst, by orders of magnitudes,
natural disaster the US ever faced. With ramifications similar to the
US having been in a limited nuclear exchange.

Its been 5 days. There are bodies and walking dead scattered across an
area the size of the UK...and you expect some sort of miracle?
Sorry..aint gonna happen. The NO thing while sad, should have been
handled by local authorities. Ill not point out the obvious fact that
they tend to be Corrupt Democrats.

The US has taken a long term hit that will take multiple years to sort
out, and we have only seen the tip of the iceberg as far as far
reaching effects will go. We may well wind up with a depression that
will make 1929 look like an economic blip. The near future is the
time we should all hope and pray we voted for the right people, and
they hired the right advisors. In ALL governments, Federal, state and
local.

Feel free to finger point. But its mighty disengenious of you, based
on the evident ignorance you display of both the facts of the matter,
and the scope.

And perhaps you should consider very strongly what JFK said...

"Ask not what your country can do for you, but what you can do for
your country"

Shrug

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
jim rozen

In article , Gunner says...

Actually Ab...less than a third are in Iraq.

And the two thirds that are home, haven't come back
recently?

And are fully capable of responding? Point is, they send the
most able ones overseas. The ones behind may well be the
ones who cannot or will not serve, for whatever reason.

My personal guess is if you put the screws to it, less than
half of the stateside guard could actually be deployed.
And most of what they would need, is overseas.

Jim

please reply to:
Gunner

In article , Gunner says...

Thursday, September 01, 2005
US Left: All Straws Clutched, Every Barrel Scraped
The Left in the US seems determined to find any angle (ranging from
the irrational to the psychotic) to pin the blame of the devastating
Hurricane Katrina on President Bush. They have tried so far: the
global warming caused it angle, strike one; not enough Louisiana
National Guard troops due to the war in Iraq, strike two; now, Bush
cut money earmarked for flood control due to the war in Iraq,
hopefully strike three.

The latest idea is floated by sometime journalist, sometime Clinton
policy advisor, and sometime litigant Sidney Blumenthal. His latest
missive can be found in Speigel Online, natch:

In 2001, FEMA warned that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of
the three most likely disasters in the U.S. But the Bush
administration cut New Orleans flood control funding by 44 percent to
pay for the Iraq war.

In early 2001, the Federal Emergency Management Agency issued a report
stating that a hurricane striking New Orleans was one of the three
most likely disasters in the U.S., including a terrorist attack on New
York City. But by 2003 the federal funding for the flood control
project essentially dried up as it was drained into the Iraq war. In
2004, the Bush administration cut funding requested by the New Orleans
district of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers for holding back the
waters of Lake Pontchartrain by more than 80 percent. Additional cuts
at the beginning of this year (for a total reduction in funding of
44.2 percent since 2001) forced the New Orleans district of the Corps
to impose a hiring freeze. The Senate had debated adding funds for
fixing New Orleans' levees, but it was too late.

There is also wasted space regarding the debunked global warming
nonsense. Well, what was the Clinton Administration policy on floods,
hurricanes, and the sort in Louisiana? Using the same source as Mr.
Blumenthal, the Times-Picayune, we find the following via Lexis-Nexis:

February 17, 1995

An Army Corps of Engineers "hit list" of recommended budget cuts would
eliminate new flood-control programs in some of the nation's most
flood-prone spots - where recent disasters have left thousands
homeless and cost the federal government millions in emergency aid.

Clinton administration officials argue that the flood-control efforts
are local projects, not national, and should be paid for by local
taxes.

Nationwide, the administration proposes cutting 98 new projects in 35
states and Puerto Rico, for an estimated savings of $29 million in
1996.

Corps officials freely conceded the cuts, which represent only a small
portion of savings the corps ultimately must make, may be penny-wise
and pound-foolish. But they said they were forced to eliminate some
services the corps has historically provided to taxpayers to meet the
administration's budget-cutting goals.

June 23, 1995

A hurricane project, approved and financed since 1965, to protect more
than 140,000 West Bank residents east of the Harvey Canal is in
jeopardy.

The Clinton administration is holding back a Corps of Engineers report
recommending that the $120 million project proceed. Unless that report
is forwarded to the Office of Management and Budget, Congress cannot
authorize money for the project, U.S. Rep. William Jefferson's office
said Thursday.

On June 9, John Zirschky, the acting assistant secretary of the Army
and the official who refused to forward the report, sent a memo to the
corps, saying the recommendation for the project "is not consistent
with the policies and budget priorities reflected in the President's
Fiscal Year 1996 budget. Accordingly, I will not forward the report to
the Office of Management and Budget for clearance."

July 26, 1996

The House voted Thursday for a $19.4 billion energy and water bill
that provides $246 million for Army Corps of Engineers projects in
Louisiana.

The bill, approved 391-23, is the last of the 13 annual spending
measures for 1997 approved by the House.

One area in which the House approved more financing than the president
requested was for flood control and maintenance of harbors and
shipping routes by the Army Corps of Engineers.

Flood control projects along the Mississippi River and its tributaries
were allotted $303 million, or $10 million more than the president
wanted.

June 19, 1996

The Army Corps of Engineers, which builds most flood protection levees
on a federal-local cost-sharing basis, uses a cost-benefit ratio to
justify a project. If the cost of building a levee is considered less
than the cost of restoring a flood-ravaged area, the project is more
likely to be approved.

For years, the Jean Lafitte-Lower Lafitte-Barataria-Crown Point areas
couldn't convince the corps they were worthy of levee protection. But
the use of Section 205 and congressional pressure has given the corps
a new perspective, Spohrer said.

But even so, when the Clinton administration began to curtail spending
on flood control and other projects a year ago, the corps stopped
spending on Section 205 projects even after deciding to do a $70,000
preliminary Jean Lafitte study, Spohrer said.

July 22, 1999

In passing a $20.2 billion spending bill this week for water and
energy projects, the House Appropriations Committee approved some
significant increases in financing for several New Orleans area flood
control and navigational projects.

The spending bill is expected on the House floor within the next two
weeks.

For the New Orleans District of the Army Corps of Engineers, the panel
allocated $106 million for construction projects, about $16 million
more than proposed by President Clinton.

The bill would provide $47 million for "southeast Louisiana flood
control projects," $16 million for "Lake Pontchartrain and vicinity
hurricane protection," $15.9 million for the Inner Harbor Navigation
Canal Lock on the Industrial Canal in New Orleans and $2 million for
"West Bank hurricane protection -- from New Orleans to Venice."

Most of the projects received significant increases over what the
Clinton administration had proposed. The exception: general flood
control projects for southeast Louisiana, which remained at the $47
million suggested by Clinton. Local officials had hoped for double
that amount.

February 8, 2000

For the metropolitan New Orleans area, Clinton's budget was seen as a
mixed bag by local lawmakers and government officials. For instance,
while Clinton called for $1.5 billion to be spent at Avondale
Industries to continue building LPD-17 landing craft, his budget calls
for significantly less than what Congress appropriated last year for
Lake Pontchartrain and vicinity hurricane protection and for West Bank
flood control projects.

September 29, 2000

The House approved Thursday a $23.6 billion measure for water and
energy programs, with sizable increases for several New Orleans area
flood-control projects. The Senate will vote Monday, but it may be a
while before the bill is enacted.

President Clinton is promising to veto the annual appropriation for
the Energy Department and Army Corps of Engineers, not because it is
$890 million larger than he proposed, but because it does not include
a plan to alter the levels of the Missouri River to protect endangered
fish and birds.

May 8, 2005 (extra)

Ten years ago today, the Bonneaus and hundreds of thousands of New
Orleans area residents rode out a rain unlike any they had ever
experienced. The flood killed six people and generated more claims
than any in the history of the National Flood Insurance Program. In
its aftermath, Congress created a new role for the U.S. Army Corps of
Engineers, and federal and local governments spent more than a
half-billion dollars to widen and line drainage canals, bury culverts
bigger than cars and beef up pumping stations.

But not even those improvements could prevent massive flooding if a
storm of similar intensity were to strike today.

And on it goes. No amount of money can guarantee the risk-free
existence so craved by the US Left. The post is not a slam on
President Clinton, it merely shows that his administration was not
exactly tackling the flood-control issue in Louisiana as Mr.
Blumenthal suggests in his anti-Bush "piece". The post asks Mr.
Blumenthal and the US Left to stop looting this disaster for very
cheap political reasons.

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 13:58:35 GMT, "Norm Dresner"
wrote:

"Too_Many_Tools" wrote in message
roups.com...
It is becoming more and more apparent that the Federal Government has
REALLY dropped the ball on Katrina.

Perhaps some of them should spend a few days stranded on a roof top
with no water/food/toilet waiting for someone to notice them.

The question....

Should government officials be held criminally liable for the unfolding
nightmare we are witnessing hour by hour?

If it doesn't happen, it damn well should.

One very ticked off American,

That's what the next election is for! We should make sure that anyone who
even contributed to our unreadiness is booted out of office as soon as
possible.

Norm

We did. Fewer and fewer Dems are holding office, which is a good thing
after 60 yrs of Democrat misrule.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

I have already decided who I am going to vote for based on what I am
seeing....and I suspect many other Americans are making their minds up
too.

TMT

Then you will vote Republican?

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner

Ace

Out of curiosity, what type of evacuation plans exist for your municipality?
Are all of the community aware of them? (Are you aware of them?)
Do they have the means to implement them if necessary? (How many rely on
public transportation?)

Just asking.

[...]

Rex B

jim rozen wrote:
In article , F. George McDuffee
says...

This again raises the question - just what do we the people need
a Federal government for, and why are we paying so much for so
little?

Rest assured that they will still want their tax moneies come
November. All those folks who have been hammered by the hurricane
will be hammered again, paying washington for services they
never got in this debacle.

Every time something like this has come up, the IRS has provided relief
of some sort - extended deadlines, additional loss dedcutions. Remember
9-11?
Rex B

wrote:
If more than half the Louisiana NG wasn't off fighting an illegal, stupid
war, they'd have been there to help.

Norm

Actually Ab...less than a third are in Iraq.

Helluva note, that.
They spend a tour taking potshots from raghead opportunists, then come
home to do the same thing in their old neighborhood.
jim rozen

In article , Rex B says...

Rest assured that they will still want their tax moneies come
November. All those folks who have been hammered by the hurricane
will be hammered again, paying washington for services they
never got in this debacle.

Every time something like this has come up, the IRS has provided relief
of some sort - extended deadlines, additional loss dedcutions. Remember
9-11?

Nice if it happens - I would not hold my breath though.

I seem to recall that the IRS had the best plans to recover after
natural disasters - the entire country could be in chaos, but they
still want your tax return.

Jim

please reply to:

F. George McDuffee

On Fri, 02 Sep 2005 18:00:59 GMT, Gunner
wrote:
snip
US Left: All Straws Clutched, Every Barrel Scraped
The Left in the US seems determined to find any angle (ranging from
the irrational to the psychotic) to pin the blame of the devastating
Hurricane Katrina on President Bush.

snip
To search for individuals to blame for this problem, or to
attempt to assign responsibility to a political party, is an
exercise in futility ==if the intent is to prevent or at least
mitigate recurrence.==

As I indicated in another post, large, high density urban areas
appear to be the root cause of most of the problems. To be sure
small, low density and rural areas have also had their share of
disasters, but because of dispersal and easier "escape," these
have been much more manageable.

The continual US population shift to ever larger and ever-higher
density urban areas, concentrated on or near the coastlines, is a
sure-fire recipe for major disasters, both natural and man-made
(terrorist), although it is highly profitable for the politically
well-connected few.

As Congress is fond of tinkering with the tax code to correct
social problems, I suggest a multiplier be applied to the amount
of corporate and individual income taxes due to the Federal
government based on the population density of your home address,
as indicated by the home's zip+4 postal code. Thus you might pay
1.8X or 180% of the standard income tax with an address in
Manhattan, San Francisco, etc., but only .4X or 40% of the
standard income tax if you lived in Caney, Kansas. The
multiplier can be increased as required to more uniformly
distribute the US population and industry in less
dense/vulnerable ways.

RAM^3

"F. George McDuffee" wrote in message

As Congress is fond of tinkering with the tax code to correct
social problems, I suggest a multiplier be applied to the amount
of corporate and individual income taxes due to the Federal
government based on the population density of your home address,
as indicated by the home's zip+4 postal code. Thus you might pay
1.8X or 180% of the standard income tax with an address in
Manhattan, San Francisco, etc., but only .4X or 40% of the
standard income tax if you lived in Caney, Kansas. The
multiplier can be increased as required to more uniformly
distribute the US population and industry in less
dense/vulnerable ways.

Now all you have to do is to sell your idea to the Congresscritters and
we'll all be set!

BTW, have many "refugees" found their way to CC?

Here [1/2 way between Houston and Victoria] we've had 273 families arrive as
of yesterday. Many are staying with family members but the motels are full,
too.

Lumpy

Ace wrote:
Out of curiosity, what type of
evacuation plans exist for your
municipality? Are all of the
community aware of them?...

I don't know about what my neighbors
or my municipal government has planed.
But my family can be on the road in 30 min,
with 2 weeks worth of food, water, fuel,
and well armed. We can go to our property
in the high country, or virtually anywhere
else if need be.

I'm hardly going to sit around and wait
for politicians to figure out how to
save my butt.

Lumpy

Lumpy

Charles Spitzer wrote:
n.o. has known about this for decades,
ever since they started putting up the
levees in the 1920s. however, the motto
isn't "let the good times roll" for nothing.

Before the **** hit the fan, the LA governor
was interviewed on NPR and said "We're a strong
people. We work hard and we party hard. We can get
through this thing".

Party on.

Lump

Too_Many_Tools

Not if you are earthquake country where your home (and all those
provisions within it including transportation) would be destroyed in
moments.

In a blink of an eye, you could be limited to what you are wearing,
what you have in your pocket and without any information.

And there would be tens of thousands of other people in the
situation...

Sounds alot like the situation in New Orleans.

TMT