Default question about adjustable brass laps...and lapping

I need to lap a small hole in mild steel. This is a "through
hole"......of about .300 inch ID. I will be using an adjustable
brass barrel lap for the lap.

The hole has been finish reamed to about .2998 inch......and will be
lapped to final diameter of .3000 inch.

I plan on lapping with 3 different grit sizes.......starting with a
150 grit, then progressing to 240 grit, finishing with a 500 or 600
grit.

Will I need 3 different brass laps, one for each grit size? Or can I
use the coarsest grit, then "wash" the coarse grit from the lap,
recharge the lap with next finest grit, lap, then
wash.........etc.......finishing up with the finest grit, the 500 or
600?

If I can use 1 adjustable brass lap, washing it between grit sizes,
what is the best method of washing? Could I spin the lap in a lathe
and hit it with something like a worn-out ScotchBrite pad?

Would that clean an adjustable brass lap in preparation for each
progressively smaller grit?

Thank you Lee Carkenord

Quite honestly, I think you're dreaming.

If you've only got .0002" left in the hole you are already in deep
'doo-doo'.

If I were you I'd start over and leave yourself at least .001".

Best of luck, anyway.

Lewis.

Chuck Sherwood

I plan on lapping with 3 different grit sizes.......starting with a
150 grit, then progressing to 240 grit, finishing with a 500 or 600
grit.

I have tried polishing things in a lathe with 600 sandpaper and I
find it hard to affect any dimension change. The finer grips only
seem to change the surface finish. Probably hard to determine with
a standard micromenter though.

How are you going to measure the hole to that level of accuracy?