Tom Kendrick

Default Garage welder wiring questions

A common welder is the red Lincoln "tombstone" design.
It takes 50 amps at 220 volts, which is quite a bit more than the 30
amps
used by an electric dryer. Here are some considerations:

1. The receptacle for a welder is unique - the plug on the welder will
not fit a dryer receptacle - must have a welder receptacle.
2. You should probably run gray PVC conduit from the breaker box to
the receptacle location. Leave a pull string in it so that whatever
wire you need can be added later.
3. 10 guage will be too small. That's about right for a 30 amp dryer
though.
An electrically heated hot tub needs 60 amps, so the wiring for it
would be adequate for a welder.
4. Consider that most houses are supplied with 200 amp service. With
the welder running, the lights may dim a bit. Other appliances may be
affected as well.
5. An electrician should be at least consulted regarding wire sizes,
etc.
For my hot tub, I set everything up - drilled holes, dug trenches,
etc. Paid $100 (several years ago) for the electrician to run the wire
and connect it up.
6. I recommend that you pay a bit more and get an AC/DC welder. DC is
so much smoother and there are rods which are DC-only.
7. Invest in a fire extinguisher. You will eventually set something on
fire which is not supposed to be burning. At least have a small bucket
of water available.

Good luck.

(Ryan) wrote in message . com...
I am wiring up my new garage. I will mostly use this for working on
cars and motorcycles, some occasional woodwork, and I have had the
need to use a welder before. I do not own a welder now, I usually
borrow one or use one at a different location.

So, 10 gauge? 10-2 or 10-3? Larger? What is the common welder size?
(in amps?)

Thanks for any input.

-Ryan