Grant Erwin

Default Heliweld arc stabilizer

Ignoramus18245 wrote:

I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

I think you'll find it's basically made of what will look a lot like a
transformer, but is in fact a big inductor. This will tend to even out changes
in current, since inductors resist changes in current. So you might be able to
make an AC transformer into a decent CC welder. Yes, TIG welders are CC, but it
takes more than an arc stabilizer to make a TIG welder. Wire? Forget it -- for
that you need CV, which calls for a big-ass bank of capacitors.

GWE
Grant Erwin

Ignoramus18245 wrote:
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 17:16:24 -0700, Grant Erwin wrote:

Ignoramus18245 wrote:

I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

I think you'll find it's basically made of what will look a lot like a
transformer, but is in fact a big inductor. This will tend to even out changes
in current, since inductors resist changes in current. So you might be able to
make an AC transformer into a decent CC welder. Yes, TIG welders are CC, but it
takes more than an arc stabilizer to make a TIG welder.

Thanks.

Wire? Forget it -- for
that you need CV, which calls for a big-ass bank of capacitors.

How big ass? I am asking because I have some seriously big capacitors
right now.

My Millermatic 250 uses 8 15000 uF 45VDC electrolytics in parallel. It's the
only data point I have. Obviously, more would be better.

GWE

It may be a unit to add high voltage to a welder. It would make
restarting an arc with 7018 a lot easier.

Dan

Ignoramus18245 wrote:
I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

Don Foreman

Ignoramus18245 wrote:

I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

I think you'll find it's basically made of what will look a lot like a
transformer, but is in fact a big inductor. This will tend to even out changes
in current, since inductors resist changes in current. So you might be able to
make an AC transformer into a decent CC welder. Yes, TIG welders are CC, but it
takes more than an arc stabilizer to make a TIG welder.

Thanks.

Wire? Forget it -- for
that you need CV, which calls for a big-ass bank of capacitors.

How big ass? I am asking because I have some seriously big capacitors
right now.

Millermatic 210: four 30,000 uF 45 volt

Kelley Mascher

Normally these add high frequency output to an AC welder power source
to stabilize the output for TIG welding.

Cheers,

Kelley
On Fri, 26 Aug 2005 23:54:10 GMT, Ignoramus18245
wrote:

I just won a 4x4x2 ft box of tools that includes a "heliweld arc
stabilizer". ($400 total). I am curious if I can somehow use it and
other low cost components to make a nice wire or tig welder.

Wayne Cook

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 22:57:29 GMT, Ignoramus4038
wrote:

On Sat, 27 Aug 2005 14:21:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher wrote:
Normally these add high frequency output to an AC welder power source
to stabilize the output for TIG welding.

Thanks. So, with this, I could make a "tig welder" by adding a gun and
inert gas? Is that right? And could I weld steel and aluminum with that?

completely ignorant about welding

No this would add high frequency to the normal output of a DC
welder. High frequency is used to initiate the arc for TIG welding.
This is done so that you don't have to contaminate the tungsten by
scratch starting the arc. You can TIG weld with most DC welders but it
requires contact with the work piece to start the arc. High frequency
is a way to avoid it. What high frequency means is basically a very
high voltage at a high frequency which is impressed over the normal DC
voltage of the welder in order to start the arc without touching the
work. This is what really separates the TIG welders from the Stick
welders. There are other features on the newer (and older high end)
TIG welders as well but this is the real difference.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Kelley Mascher

You're correct, Wayne, I should have said something about high
frequency arc starting. It's possible that the unit in question would
work on DC. However, I'm pretty sure since, it's called a stabilizer,
it will at least supply continuous high frequency output for an AC
power source. Continuous high frequency is used to stabilize AC for
aluminum TIG welding.

So, until there is more information on the exact model of the device,
I think that, with the addition of a TIG torch and gas, minimally, it
should allow TIG welding.

Cheers,

Kelley

wrote:

[...]

Wayne Cook

On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:57:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher
wrote:

You're correct, Wayne, I should have said something about high
frequency arc starting. It's possible that the unit in question would
work on DC. However, I'm pretty sure since, it's called a stabilizer,
it will at least supply continuous high frequency output for an AC
power source. Continuous high frequency is used to stabilize AC for
aluminum TIG welding.

I did say DC didn't I. I wasn't thinking to well last night. I've
been sick this weekend and I'm not in top form. Yes it will provide
high frequency for both AC and DC but it won't provide the welding
current if it's what I think it is. For that he'll need a stick welder
of some form preferably a AC/DC unit with remote capability.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm
Jerry Martes

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:57:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher
So, with a heliweld, gas, torch, and an AC buzzbox, I could have a tig
welder that would work on both steel and aluminum?

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

You wont need the High Freq High Voltage with DC TIG with this machine you
are describing.

You will need the HFHV if you want to use this machine on AC. AC is
really a must for aluminum

When it is complted, it is very unlikely that the welds made with the
machine will resemble what is normally be considered TIG welds.

It is my observation that it is interesting to build a welding machine
that uses the principals of the conventional TIG welding machine. But, if
the ultimate goal is to actually do TIG welding, you awill almost certainly
be dissatisfied with a buzzbox and a TIG torch.

If if it is your intention to actually do some TIG welding, wait till you
find one thats affordable. You are really good at finding very good stuff,
cheap.

Jerry (who has built several home brew TIG machines)

Wayne Cook

wrote:

You're correct, Wayne, I should have said something about high
frequency arc starting. It's possible that the unit in question would
work on DC. However, I'm pretty sure since, it's called a stabilizer,
it will at least supply continuous high frequency output for an AC
power source. Continuous high frequency is used to stabilize AC for
aluminum TIG welding.

I did say DC didn't I. I wasn't thinking to well last night. I've
been sick this weekend and I'm not in top form. Yes it will provide
high frequency for both AC and DC but it won't provide the welding
current if it's what I think it is. For that he'll need a stick welder
of some form preferably a AC/DC unit with remote capability.

So, then, AC/DC plus Heliweld plus gun plus gas == TIG Welder?

Pretty much. The only problem with using a AC/DC buzz box is that
they don't have remote amperage control which is while not a necessity
it is a extremely nice thing to have while TIG welding. There has been
a few people on this group with a similar setup in the past. If you
can find a little higher quality stick welder that has the provisions
for remote control then you would be better off.

Wayne Cook
Shamrock, TX
http://members.dslextreme.com/users/waynecook/index.htm

Don Foreman

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:23:37 GMT, Ignoramus5361
wrote:

How about a Miller DialArc 250, would it work for me?

Yes, much better than a buzzbox with addons.

(Been there, done that) The DialArc HF has the high-freq start built
in, essential for aluminum though your Heliweld may accomplish that as
an addon.
Don Foreman

On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 03:23:00 GMT, Ignoramus5361
wrote:

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

I have a Dialarc 250HF. The HF means it has the high freq start built
in. The external HF I used with a buzzbox worked OK; the big
improvement was that the Dialarc just welds considerably better.
It's probably more "constant current" than a buzzbox. There is
certainly a lot more copper and iron there, at 480 lb. I've had it
for about 10 years now and am still completely satisfied with it. I
use it on both steel and aluminum.

I recently had a guy who'd worked in a welding shop tell me the shop
replaced their Dialarcs with Synchrowaves -- and the guys doing the
welding (including him) didn't like the Synchrowaves nearly as well.
He said they had more trouble getting consistently good welds, as in
making tanks with no leaks first try.

Some of the newer TIG machines have lots more bells and whistles, but
a number of people have told me that the old Dialarc was a good
machine capable of doing good work.
Jerry Martes

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
news
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 01:56:50 GMT, Jerry Martes
wrote:

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 28 Aug 2005 09:57:34 -0700, Kelley Mascher
So, with a heliweld, gas, torch, and an AC buzzbox, I could have a tig
welder that would work on both steel and aluminum?

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

You wont need the High Freq High Voltage with DC TIG with this machine
you
are describing.

I am not sure what does that imply. Are you saying that I do no need
the heliweld part?

You will need the HFHV if you want to use this machine on AC. AC is
really a must for aluminum

Got it. Aluminum is not a big priority for me, but it would be nice as
several important parts on my boat are made of it.

When it is complted, it is very unlikely that the welds made with the
machine will resemble what is normally be considered TIG welds.

It is my observation that it is interesting to build a welding machine
that uses the principals of the conventional TIG welding machine. But,
if
the ultimate goal is to actually do TIG welding, you awill almost
certainly
be dissatisfied with a buzzbox and a TIG torch.

Got it.

If if it is your intention to actually do some TIG welding, wait till
you
find one thats affordable. You are really good at finding very good
stuff,
cheap.

Thanks for the compliment. It is harder to find great deals with
welders, as I have discovered, but I will keep waiting and looking. I
already own the heliweld (have not picked it up yet), so I will just
sell it.

Wait-wait, dont sell the HF (high voltage maker) if you expect to get a
Miller Dialarc 250 AC/DC. If the Miller you get doesnt already have a HF in
it, you could certainly build a good TIG with a stick welder that includes
remote current control.

Earlier I was identifying the characteristic of TIG where it is possible
to scratch start an arc with the Tungsten and it will remain an arc with DC.
That wont work with AC.

Jerry

Don Foreman

wrote:

How about a Miller DialArc 250, would it work for me?

Yes, much better than a buzzbox with addons.

Thanks. For tig welding with it, though, I still need an arc stabilizer
and gas and gun etc, those would qualify as "addons", right?

(Been there, done that) The DialArc HF has the high-freq start built
in, essential for aluminum though your Heliweld may accomplish that as
an addon.

The one I am eyeing does not have HF mentioned anywhere on it...

I did a little googling. The Heliweld Arc Stabilizer is defintely an
HF unit sold by Airco. With that and a Dialarc 250 you should
be able to do some very nice TIG welding both on steel and aluminum.
Gunner

wrote:

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Indeed. In fact, Ive personally turned away a number of Tig machines
over the last couple months, simply because I dont need any more than
the 3 that I now own..the most expensive was $300.

They are out there, in growing numbers as the inverter based hip slick
and cool machines start taking over the market and the older, bigger
and heavier transformer based machines are retired, not because they
dont work..but because they are simply older, bigger and heavier.

Never overlook your local welding machine repair shop. They often get
machines in for repair that had only a few things wrong with them,
cheaply fixed, but the owners decided to buy a new machine and
abandonded them. One of the posters here got two of them for $100
after I gave him a heads up. Another Miller Dialarc 250HF was for
sale for $150 at a machine tool dealer. Reliable tool had a complete
but filthy one, cooler, torches and bottles that went out the door for
$150, simply because it was too nastly looking to put up on their
auction site. And it worked perfectly. I tested it.

They are out there, ya just have to look for em.

Gunner, who finally dialed in his absolutely mint Airco PulseArc 350
MIG welder and got it running beautifly on his 5hp rotary phase
converter, this weekend. (swapped for) and its sitting next to his
absolutely mint Airco Squarewave 300 Tig (came with Bernard cooler,
cart, hoses, torch, stick setup and bottle) (swapped) and on the other
side of the welding table (which is over the Miller Dialarc 300 stick
machine ($50), the DanMig 200 Mig (gift) and opposite the Lincoln Tig
250/250 which was the worst deal as it cost him $150 and two Simpson
260s (from a welding machine repair shop) and also was complete with
torches and stick, and two busted Lincoln Magnum coolers which he made
into one good one.

Gunner

wrote:

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

That is one of the best rock solid stick welders ever made. AC/DC
They made a HF version which had TIG capabilities built into the same
box,
The stock DialArc has been a mainstay in California school shops
simply because they were so hard to kill.

Gunner

Gunner

wrote:

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

That is one of the best rock solid stick welders ever made. AC/DC
They made a HF version which had TIG capabilities built into the
same box, The stock DialArc has been a mainstay in California school
shops simply because they were so hard to kill.

That's nice to know. I will try to get it. Can I store it outdoors
(maybe covered with tarp)? I am in Midwest, with its climate.

I store mine under the welding table, outdoors. But ...I think Id tarp
yours if I were you. Or better yet, slide it under a work bench. Its
not all that long. A simple low cart with casters will make it easy to
slide in and out, and can be used from under the bench handily.

Gunner

Gunner

wrote:

"Ignoramus5361" wrote in message
m...
[...]

I will definitely call some welding repair shops. A great idea.

Thanks!

Frankly..its better to simply show up and chat with the owner or
manager. Often times over the phone they will blow you off. When you
show up and tell em you are a newbie looking to get into tig/welding,
they will generally go a bit farther in thinking about what machines
over yonder in the scrap pile were easily fixed etc.

just a heads up. And you add another face to your "network"

Gunner

Jerry Martes

"Ignoramus23186" wrote in message
news

wrote:

You'll want to make the buzzbox DC if you want to work with steel.

Thanks. There is a Miller DialArc 250 that I am eyeing.

That is one of the best rock solid stick welders ever made. AC/DC
They made a HF version which had TIG capabilities built into the
same box, The stock DialArc has been a mainstay in California school
shops simply because they were so hard to kill.

That's nice to know. I will try to get it. Can I store it outdoors
(maybe covered with tarp)? I am in Midwest, with its climate.

I store mine under the welding table, outdoors. But ...I think Id tarp
yours if I were you. Or better yet, slide it under a work bench. Its
not all that long. A simple low cart with casters will make it easy to
slide in and out, and can be used from under the bench handily.

I basically have very limited space in my garage. I made a bench on
wheels yesterday, which I will use for grinding. I will have a 1/2HP
baldor grinder, little wet wheel sharpenet, and a chop saw on it. Made
out of old kitchen cabinet and wheels from a demolished UPS. The idea
is that since grinding is dirty, I could pull out the grinding
bench/cart outside and do my grinding outdoors without contaminating
the garage with crap. It will be healthier too.

I cannot have many such carts in my garage basically, without being
ridiculous. Plus, welding is healthier outdoors. Hence my question
about outdoor storage. I could make some doghouse for the welder also.

If you intend to weld outdoors, you might want to re-consider
investigating in a TIG welder.
For example, what would you be welding that a stick/buzzbox wouldnt weld?
TIG sure doesnt like wind. TIG really likes Very Clean metal. The
electronics in the TIG doesnt like water.
Then there is the price of a buzzbox compared to a TIG. The TIG even
requires the bottles plus gas plus special rod.
My advice would be for you to wait till you really need the TIG, and use a
buzzbox till then. You could store a buzzbox in a trash can if there isnt
room for it in a corner of the garage.

I know, thats enough BS from me. You do what ever is best for you.

Jerry

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Oh oh...time to scrounge a Shop. One of those 8x20 or 8x 40 SeaTrain
containers will make a great shop. Mil-surp too G

A doghouse would be best then. I dont think it will survive being out
in the open. Here..average rainfall per YEAR is around 4"(inches)

Oh..btw..I scrounged up 6 Lincoln "LinConditioners" last week. They
look like shop vacs. with a big ceramic filter thingy bobby inside and
are used to suck in welding smoke, and exhaust clean(er) air.

All work just hunky dory if anyone needs one, and I have the owners
manuals (copies)

Gunner

Gunner

wrote:

[...]

Jerry...want one of those smoke vacuums? Free for you of course. And I
will deliver.

Gunner

Jerry Martes

wrote:

[...]

No thanks Gunner, I dont really mind making a smoky mess in the garage.
But, have you been talkng to my wife?? She really doesnt like the messes
I make.

Jerry

Gunner

On Wed, 31 Aug 2005 04:46:07 GMT, Ignoramus8644
wrote:

Just checked out this Heliweld. It powers up and produces very quiet
sound. Can I check it with a multimeter?

DONT turn on the HI Freq when you do..and dont change any switches
while the meter is connected.

Gunner

for torturing the cat." Gunner
Gunner

wrote:

Just checked out this Heliweld. It powers up and produces very quiet
sound. Can I check it with a multimeter?

DONT turn on the HI Freq when you do..and dont change any switches
while the meter is connected.

Well, it has just one switch... on and off...

Sorry...I meant the meter. Changing ranges with a rotary switch
may..may induce an arc internal to the meter