EP

Default anyone converted a rear-bagger to side discharge?

Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side
discharge?

I have a craftsman mulching rear-bagger without any side discharge
option, but am considering buying the spring/door/chute that would
normally go on a craftsman side discharge, cutting the hole in the side
of the deck and attaching the door/chute. It seems like a
straight-forward process but I'm not sure if there's something I'm
missing or if anyone's had good or bad experience doing this.

-EP

Lloyd E. Sponenburgh

Yeah, with mixed success.

I have a Wheel Horse Classic (Toro, now) with a big iron 10HP Kohler and a
"mulching" deck.

"Stalling" deck is a better description. When it gets all full of "mulch",
the belts burn, the blades stumble, and it stops mowing.

So, I fabricated a permanent cover for the back edge (a lot of area to
cover), and carved out a side chute with my blue wrench.

It took several days of fiddling and trimming, and the addition of some
"guide strips" inside the deck to get it to reliably discharge.

Shoulda sold it, instead.

LLoyd

"EP" wrote in message
ups.com...
Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side
discharge?

I have a craftsman mulching rear-bagger without any side discharge
option, but am considering buying the spring/door/chute that would
normally go on a craftsman side discharge, cutting the hole in the side
of the deck and attaching the door/chute. It seems like a
straight-forward process but I'm not sure if there's something I'm
missing or if anyone's had good or bad experience doing this.

-EP

G Henslee

EP wrote:
Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side
discharge?

Divorce and re-marriage? Happens every day.
Ron DeBlock

I used to have a Craftsman mower that did rear bag, mulch and
side discharge. In order to convert to side discharge, the rear bag was
replaced by a curved plastic tube thingy (rectangular cross section of
decreasing size) that deflected the clippings. I tended to clog up often.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,

Steveo

G Henslee wrote:
EP wrote:
Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side
discharge?

Divorce and re-marriage? Happens every day.

Personal experience?

George

Ron DeBlock wrote:
...snit... I tended to clog up often.

Drink more water, exercise regularly and try a high fiber diet and the
clogging will diminish.

Ron DeBlock

On Wed, 24 Aug 2005 07:57:31 -0500, George wrote:

Ron DeBlock wrote:
...snit... I tended to clog up often.

Drink more water, exercise regularly and try a high fiber diet and the
clogging will diminish.

Heh, good one! Just eating the grass would provide the fiber.

--
Ron DeBlock N2JSO
If God had meant for Man to see the sunrise,
He would have scheduled it later in the day.

G Henslee

Steveo wrote:
G Henslee wrote:

EP wrote:

Has anyone had success converting a rear bagger mower to a side
discharge?

Divorce and re-marriage? Happens every day.

Personal experience?

I speak from that perspective, yes.