South Bend Restoration

Old August 22nd 05, 07:36 PM
Relz

Default South Bend Restoration

Can anyone direct me to a good reference for restoring a South Bend 10"
lathe (book or website)? I've looked at a bunch of websites and I didn't
find anything that may have been a step-by-step guide.

Thanks,

Relz

Old August 22nd 05, 07:44 PM
Grant Erwin

Relz wrote:

Can anyone direct me to a good reference for restoring a South Bend 10"
lathe (book or website)? I've looked at a bunch of websites and I didn't
find anything that may have been a step-by-step guide.

http://www.dimebank.com/FrankenLathe.html to start with.

What exactly are you planning to do with it? If your restoration is cosmetic, no
problem. If the headstock spindle is bent or the bearings are shot, you have a
difficult problem.

Many techniques have been discussed exhaustively. You may find it worthwhile to
google groups on such topics as painting machinery or machinery restoration.

I don't think anyone is going to write you a Chilton's manual step by step. If
you plan to be a machinist, you're supposed to be able to figure this stuff out.
A South Bend lathe is a simple machine once you understand it.

Grant Erwin
Old August 22nd 05, 09:43 PM
Relz

"Grant Erwin" wrote in message
Relz wrote:

[...]

I don't necessarily need a Chilton's type guide, I guess. I was just
wondering if there is one type of book out there. I saw a couple of
websites that were pretty good at showing the restorations and talking about
it. I can't find them for some reason.

I'm a babe in the woods when it comes to the names of parts on lathes. I
just ordered the recommended books on the
http://www.lindsaybks.com/bks/lathebk/index.html website so I feel that will
give me a great start.

To tell the truth, I don't plan to be a machinist. I am a mechanical
designer/drafter and I see the type of work that the machinists do all day
and I don't want that as a career. It wouldn't be for me. However, I do
want a decent lathe for making parts at home and I do want to understand
more how parts are made and what the equipment is and is not capable of
doing. I feel it will make me a better designer, plus I need to make parts
for myself. For instance, the hydraulic pump shaft on the front of my Ford
3000 tractor just went out and I needed to make a new shaft. I had to have
the guys in our machine shop make me one. I would've liked to make one
myself.

So that's where I'm at; I just wanted to restore the 10" South Bend that I
just bought. I think I'll just tear into it when I'm ready and if I get
stuck I'll ask more specific questions to you all.

Thanks for listening,

Relz

Old August 23rd 05, 12:20 AM
[email protected]

If you can find a copy, the South Bend parts manual contains several
pages of testing and assembly instructions.

"Keep Your Lathe In Trim" is a good source for operator-level
adjustments.

I made most of the parts my lathe needed on it, once it ran. A few
required digging through dealer's junk piles. I bring a spindle thread
copy made of 2" pipe and a Morse #2 sleeve when shopping.

jw

Old August 23rd 05, 01:06 AM
CAMCOMPCO

Check out the Home Shop Machinist. There was a 4 part series on
"Reconditioning a Lathe" starting in September/October 2004 that was
pretty good from what I recall. See if you can take a peek at the
library, if you like the detail you can order back issues. Also, The
author is Harry Bloom (you might be able to contact him directly
(through HSM) for a reprint).

Cheers

John
Chicago Far West Burbs

Old August 23rd 05, 12:02 PM
ATP*

"Relz" wrote in message
Can anyone direct me to a good reference for restoring a South Bend 10"
lathe (book or website)? I've looked at a bunch of websites and I didn't
find anything that may have been a step-by-step guide.

Thanks,

Relz

The South Bend user group on Yahoo has a lot of resources. The format is a
PITA, but there is a lot of good stuff and good people, including a few from
this newsgroup. Just hard to find and wade through. No wonder Google is
kicking their ass!