Steve Peterson

Default 13" South Bend lathe value

I saw this ad and I am going to see this lathe next week. What is it worth
in good condition with a three and four jaw chuck?

13" south bend metal lathe works great comes with some extras. Has been
converted to 110 volt single phase power.

--
Steve

Steve Peterson

"Steve Peterson" 123@nospam wrote in message
I saw this ad and I am going to see this lathe next week. What is it worth
in good condition with a three and four jaw chuck?

13" south bend metal lathe works great comes with some extras. Has been
converted to 110 volt single phase power.

--
Steve

After speaking to this fellow he said the lathe has a flat belt and some
type of chuck for the tailstock. I am in MN if someone has a lathe 10-12"
for sale locally contact me off list at speteooooooooroooooooooatwcta.net
take out the o's
Steve

Bob May

Does he have any idea of what he wants for it? The South Bend lathe is a
good lathe and if it's something like $600 or so, I'd get it even with flat
belts. The only requirement is that it be able to turn threads.
A flat belt lathe will probably have babbit or sintered bronze bearings in
the headstock and that needs to be checked to make sure that they are in
good condition otherwise you will be looking at a repair in that area.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

Steve Peterson

"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...
It's listed at $1300

No, it is listed at $1200.00 OBO.
Steve

RoyJ

You're right. Still too expensive.

Steve Peterson wrote:
"RoyJ" wrote in message
nk.net...

It's listed at $1300

No, it is listed at $1200.00 OBO.
Steve

Tony

FYI, all Southbend use flat belts. The salient question is whether it uses a
motor cabinet or an overhead drive belt.

No Southbends use babbit or sintered bronze.

If the lathe is in good shape it may very well be worth $1200.

Tony

for sale locally contact me off list at speteooooooooroooooooooatwcta.net
take out the o's
Steve

Nothing wrong with a flat belt.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long
Gunner

On Tue, 16 Aug 2005 17:49:57 -0700, "Bob May"
wrote:

Does he have any idea of what he wants for it? The South Bend lathe is a
good lathe and if it's something like $600 or so, I'd get it even with flat
belts. The only requirement is that it be able to turn threads.
A flat belt lathe will probably have babbit or sintered bronze bearings in
the headstock and that needs to be checked to make sure that they are in
good condition otherwise you will be looking at a repair in that area.

Lots of Logans with bearings and flat belts.

Gunner

The two highest achievements of the human mind are the twin concepts of "loyalty" and "duty."
Whenever these twin concepts fall into disrepute -- get out of there fast! You may possibly
save yourself, but it is too late to save that society. It is doomed. " Lazarus Long

Steve Peterson

"RoyJ" You're right. Still too expensive.

Roy, Do you have a lathe for sale in good shape for $600.00?

It's listed at $1300

No, it is listed at $1200.00 OBO.
Steve

Bob May

With good ball/roller bearings, I'd probably offer $900 for a start and see
what happens. $1200 woould not be a bad price if you can start making chips
right away.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

RoyJ

Nope, bought a Logan 200 10x24 with loose change gears for $300 last
year from an estate after looking for several years. Add another several
hundred for new 3 jaw, boring bars, drill chuck, new headstock bearing,
rewiring, etc. I consider this to be a decent deal, perhaps worth a bit
more than I have in it.

Steve Peterson wrote:
"RoyJ" You're right. Still too expensive.

Roy, Do you have a lathe for sale in good shape for $600.00?

It's listed at $1300

No, it is listed at $1200.00 OBO.
Steve

Steve Smith

Do notice Roy's comment "after looking for several years". If you want
an amazing deal (like $600 for a nice lathe), you have to wait for one
that is priced under market and get there first. This can easily take
several years.

If you want a lathe and are willing to look for 3-6 months, you will
likely pay market price. It also depends (*a lot*) on where you are. I
sold my pretty well tooled, excellent ways, no wear, could have used
paint, Logan 10x24 for $1500. This was about 8 years ago in Colorado. I
got a good price for it, but there is no way shape or form that $600 is
market price in Colorado. I'd guess average condition with some tooling
would be $1000 (a good deal) and up, and that estimate is 8 years out of
date.

Steve

Steve Peterson wrote:

Keep me in mind if you find another good deal like that.
Steve
ink.net...

Steve Peterson wrote:

"RoyJ" You're right. Still too expensive.

Roy, Do you have a lathe for sale in good shape for $600.00?

It's listed at $1300

No, it is listed at $1200.00 OBO.
Steve

Tony

If you own a 14" with all V-belt drive that must of been some shop
conversion, not factory supplied. I would imagine its difficult to change
spindle speeds with a v-belt drive. And when u say 14" are you referring to
a 14.5" or pre-1930 14" model.??

In perusing the Southbend catalogs up until 1948 I don't see any listings
for V-belt driven 9" lathes. I would suspect any such machine one might come
across is some garage conversion to V-belts as opposed to factory supplied,
usually done by someone who either doesn't understand flat belt drives or
doesn't have access to a replacement belt.

The origianl poster was referring to the spindle drive so don't get cute
interject the V-belt on the countershaft.

Tony

Southbend may have supplied some workshops 9's with v-belt

"Bob May" wrote in message
Does he have any idea of what he wants for it? The South Bend lathe is

good lathe and if it's something like $600 or so, I'd get it even with

flat
belts. The only requirement is that it be able to turn threads.
A flat belt lathe will probably have babbit or sintered bronze bearings
in
the headstock and that needs to be checked to make sure that they are

in
good condition otherwise you will be looking at a repair in that area.

--
Why do penguins walk so far to get to their nesting grounds?

OT - South Bend Bench Lathe Gunner Metalworking 15 September 25th 05 04:36 AM
South Bend Lathe threading questions gtslabs Metalworking 4 July 17th 05 04:39 PM
Lathe price Cuezilla Metalworking 13 October 6th 03 06:42 PM
South Bend Metric 10k for Sale John J. Malcolm Metalworking 0 October 4th 03 07:52 PM
South Bend lathe with bad babbit bearing ..help! Ken Moffett Metalworking 4 August 5th 03 05:52 AM