Need belt for dental drill - any suggestions??

Old August 6th 05, 10:54 PM
davefr

Default Need belt for dental drill - any suggestions??

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long
Old August 6th 05, 11:35 PM
Randy Replogle

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

O-ring cord stock?
Randy
Old August 7th 05, 12:11 AM
[email protected]

I need a replacement drive belt

Go to MMC (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and search on drive belts.

Old August 7th 05, 12:33 AM
Mark Rand

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

This won't help you directly (in the UK) but I think it's probably the sort of
stuff you need:-
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_What_s_New___137.html&CatalogBod y

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM
Old August 7th 05, 02:12 AM
Mike Henry

I've got an Emesco drill that needs a belt too. It looks like the Emesco
takes a 0.078" (5/64"?) belt and McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to sell them.

My dentist suggested a dental supply outfit but I've forgotten the name.
Google turns up this link:

https://www.pattersondental.com/app.... engine+belts

for belts but there isn't enough info to tell what the belts fit. The
lengths seem about right, though.

Another name for what we both are calling a dental drill seems to be
laboratory engine and this place still sells them, new apparently. They
might be able to supply a belt in the right size.

http://www.buffalodental.com/pdfs/equip_brochure.pdf

Further searching reveals that Buffalo does sell belts:

http://www.buffalodental.com/pdfs/BD...16%2023-30.pdf

I also turned up a Mil spec for dental engine belts he

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksear...t_number=50486

in case you want to generate an RFG g. They do specify around 0.1"
diameter which is pretty close to the Emesco belt.

Finally a rant - has anyone else noticed that it's hard to run a Google
search for almost any item with turning up dozens of sites that feature Ebay
listings, almost all of which are long since closed?

Mike

Old August 7th 05, 03:16 AM
John G

"davefr" wrote in message
I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

There is a company in Sydney Oz that makes small belts to any
circumference by welding the ends of small diameter plastic supplied by
the reel.
I think their main customers are roller conveyors on production lines.
I have been there to pick one up but cannot remember the company name,
sorry.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

Old August 7th 05, 03:31 AM
carl mciver

"davefr" wrote in message
| I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
| It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
| the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).
|
| Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
| it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Have you gone looking for small surgical or other process tubing? Small
Parts Inc sells all kinds and sizes.

Old August 7th 05, 04:13 AM
Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus4205 wrote:

My deceased grandpa had a drill like this in Russia 15 years ago, and
he was retired by then. It must be pretty old... I hope that you are
not trying to drill teeth with that thing...

My uncle Leo, the dentist, brought one with him when he made tracks out
of Germany and us in the USA, around 1939.

It was foot powered (Via one foot pedal which looked like the kind on a
bass drum, and a pretty big pulley sort of like a treadle sewing machine.)

He did quite a bit of dentistry for family members during WWII.

IIRC, the belt looked like it had a woven fabric cover over something
round and was about 1/8" diameter.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Old August 7th 05, 04:22 AM
Ken Sterling

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Go to a local chainsaw repair shop and buy some of the small, yellow
fuel line of the correct length - and simply splice it together with a
small diameter "plug" in each end of the tubing (plug not being too
long to permit travel around the pulleys.) I fixed an old Kodak movie
projector like that once. Still working.
HTH
Ken.

Old August 7th 05, 04:55 AM
davefr