davefr

Default Need belt for dental drill - any suggestions??

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long
Randy Replogle

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

O-ring cord stock?
Randy

I need a replacement drive belt

Go to MMC (http://www.mcmaster.com/) and search on drive belts.

Mark Rand

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

This won't help you directly (in the UK) but I think it's probably the sort of
stuff you need:-
http://www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/index.html?http%3A//www.chronos.ltd.uk/acatalog/Chronos_Catalogue_What_s_New___137.html&CatalogBod y

HTH
Mark Rand
RTFM
Mike Henry

I've got an Emesco drill that needs a belt too. It looks like the Emesco
takes a 0.078" (5/64"?) belt and McMaster-Carr doesn't seem to sell them.

My dentist suggested a dental supply outfit but I've forgotten the name.
Google turns up this link:

https://www.pattersondental.com/app.... engine+belts

for belts but there isn't enough info to tell what the belts fit. The
lengths seem about right, though.

Another name for what we both are calling a dental drill seems to be
laboratory engine and this place still sells them, new apparently. They
might be able to supply a belt in the right size.

http://www.buffalodental.com/pdfs/equip_brochure.pdf

Further searching reveals that Buffalo does sell belts:

http://www.buffalodental.com/pdfs/BD...16%2023-30.pdf

I also turned up a Mil spec for dental engine belts he

http://assist.daps.dla.mil/quicksear...t_number=50486

in case you want to generate an RFG g. They do specify around 0.1"
diameter which is pretty close to the Emesco belt.

Finally a rant - has anyone else noticed that it's hard to run a Google
search for almost any item with turning up dozens of sites that feature Ebay
listings, almost all of which are long since closed?

Mike

"davefr" wrote in message
I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

John G

"davefr" wrote in message
I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

There is a company in Sydney Oz that makes small belts to any
circumference by welding the ends of small diameter plastic supplied by
the reel.
I think their main customers are roller conveyors on production lines.
I have been there to pick one up but cannot remember the company name,
sorry.
--
John G

Wot's Your Real Problem?

carl mciver

"davefr" wrote in message
| I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
| It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
| the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).
|
| Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
| it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Have you gone looking for small surgical or other process tubing? Small
Parts Inc sells all kinds and sizes.

Jeff Wisnia

Ignoramus4205 wrote:

My deceased grandpa had a drill like this in Russia 15 years ago, and
he was retired by then. It must be pretty old... I hope that you are
not trying to drill teeth with that thing...

My uncle Leo, the dentist, brought one with him when he made tracks out
of Germany and us in the USA, around 1939.

It was foot powered (Via one foot pedal which looked like the kind on a
bass drum, and a pretty big pulley sort of like a treadle sewing machine.)

He did quite a bit of dentistry for family members during WWII.

IIRC, the belt looked like it had a woven fabric cover over something
round and was about 1/8" diameter.

Thanks for the mammaries,

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia

(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)

Ken Sterling

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Go to a local chainsaw repair shop and buy some of the small, yellow
fuel line of the correct length - and simply splice it together with a
small diameter "plug" in each end of the tubing (plug not being too
long to permit travel around the pulleys.) I fixed an old Kodak movie
projector like that once. Still working.
HTH
Ken.

davefr

Thanks. McMaster has just what I need.

On 6 Aug 2005 15:11:45 -0700, wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt

Go to MMC (
http://www.mcmaster.com/) and search on drive belts.

Bruce L. Bergman

On Sat, 06 Aug 2005 13:54:42 -0700, davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Considering the age (turn of last century...) the original belt is
probably rawhide or catgut of some sort. Heat-welded (with a
soldering iron) monofilament fishing line / weed whacker line would be
my first try, if for no other reason than a cheap-and-dirty test.

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

If all else fails, consider the takeup reel "spring belts" off old
16MM projectors might work as a 'period correct replacement' -
basically a long chunk of tension spring with one end turned down
small, and you threaded the reduced end inside the other end to
"splice" the belt.

Yeah, I did a stint as AV Geek, and many times before and since got
dragooned into running the projector when nobody else could.
Including the time I had to sit there spinning the takeup reel with a
finger for the whole film. ;-)

-- Bruce --

Electrician for Westend Electric - CA726700
5737 Kanan Rd. #359, Agoura CA 91301 (818) 889-9545
Martin H. Eastburn

davefr wrote:

I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Gasket seal comes in long length of that size.
It is to make custom lid gaskets. That is a possible. Is it leather ?
Or what material ?
Available from a dental supply company ?

Martin

--
Martin Eastburn
NRA LOH, NRA Life

davefr

Those are great links. It looks like Pyrathane dental engine belts
are exactly what I want and also pretty inexpensive. However it
appears these dental suppliers only sell to dentists.

On Sat, 6 Aug 2005 19:12:42 -0500, "Mike Henry"
wrote:

[...]

"davefr" wrote in message
.. .
I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Bart D. Hull

Bruce,

That brings back memories! I ran 16mm projectors when I was
in high school in Mesa, AZ (Grad 1986) I still think the
quality of the movies and the big screen was worth it, so
much I bought a 16mm Kodak off EBAY and a few 16mm films for
my own amusement.

Just before I finished high school they put a 29" TV in the
front corner of each classroom to replace the projectors.
What a JOKE! I remember squinting from the front row seats
trying to make out the picture (I had 20/20 vision) and the
sound was so low even at full volume it sucked. Still didn't
have the library of subjects that were available on 16mm.
Just look at the Prelinger archives on the net. They convert
16mm to PC video formats and the downloads are free. I love
the old factory, steel making and aluminum smelting movie
from the 30's and 40's. An OSHA inspector would have cried
seeing these! (Metal working content!)

Now the local community colleges have overhead projectors at
$5k to 10k per pop in each classroom and no one uses them as
no support is provided to the teachers. My idea of the old
projector tech wheeling a projector to the classrooms was
killed as "inefficient". Funny thing is a couple of weeks
after my suggestion there was 2 or 3 projectors that were
cut off the ceiling mounts and dissapeared. I doubt they had
10 or more projection hours on them and made the new owners
good money on Ebay. Hope they removed the cut cables before
taking the pics.

Bart

Bart D. Hull

Tempe, Arizona

Check
http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/engine.html
for my Subaru Engine Conversion
Check http://www.inficad.com/~bdhull/fuselage.html
for Tango II I'm building.

Remove -nospam to reply via email.

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
[...]

Lumpy

Bruce L. Bergman wrote:
...I did a stint as AV Geek, and many times
before and since got dragooned into running
the projector when nobody else could...

They all thought it was magic. "Oh no! The
audio doesn't match the video". Then us
AV magicians would simply increase the
size of the loop.

That was much more magical than simply
advancing the film strip every time
you hear the "ting".

I still have my Bell and Howell "certified
projectionist" card from the early 60's.

Lump

Mike Henry

Perhaps your dentist wouldn't mind ordering a belt for you. It looks like
Buffalo only sells to dealers (distributors?) but a phone call or email to
them might be productive. I've just emailed them and will report back here
if I get a reply.

Mike

wrote:

[...]

"davefr" wrote in message
. ..
I need a replacement drive belt for an old belt driven dental drill.
It's the type with a drive motor and lots of pulleys and arms going to
the actual drill. (Foredom Model #9).

Factory parts are no longer avail. Any suggestions? I'm guessing
it's a continuous loop about 1/8" diam and about 5' long

Ned Simmons

In article ,
says...
Those are great links. It looks like Pyrathane dental engine belts
are exactly what I want and also pretty inexpensive. However it
appears these dental suppliers only sell to dentists.

Pytrathane is a tradename of Pyramid, Inc. They'll make any
belt length to order and will sell direct. Be sure to
follow the stretch recommendations (around 10-15% IIRC)
when figuring belt length.

http://www.pyramidbelts.com/

You can also buy open lengths of the belting material. It's
pretty easy to weld with a heat gun once you get the hang
of it, but if you're confident of the proper length it's
really not worth doing yourself.

My only connection to Pyramid is as a happy customer.

Ned Simmons
woodworker88

Doesn't Foredom still make flex shaft tools? Maybe they have a part
for some other tool that might work. Or maybe an aftermarket
distributor or competitor has parts that might work. Defintely try
mcmaster, they have custom belts made to specific lengths that you can
order. Or MSC, or Grainger.